Robbing Peter to pay Paul, so to speak

Which men's sport should temporarily lose money to increase football funding?

• Any of them

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Cross country

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Golf

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Tennis

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Swimming/diving

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Indoor track & field

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Outdoor track & field

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Baseball

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 46 27.4%

• Total voters
cut everything, sell off or rent the other facilities and auction off all their öööö. Time to bulk up the ööööing budget. I want assistants to have assistants and those assistants of the assistants to have Interns etc etc. Also for attendance I want a bobble head give away at every home game next fall and a concert at halftime. Sorry color guard.... you're going to be riding the bench.

So after 24 hours of the poll... almost 75% of respondents would be happy to temporarily cut funding to another men's sport to help out the football team. While obviously this is all dream-land, and hence poll responses are free of consequences, I'm still surprised how many of you are OK with it (like I am).

Feels good to know we're still a football school at heart.

Yeah, Tech can't get rid of any D1 sports and remain D1. And since the Ratio is decreasing, we'll probably have to add a women's sport like Soccer at some point for Title IX.

I am curious if there are NCAA or Title IX rules about funding non-rev sports. Why doesn't every school just give all non-rev sports zero scholarships, very cheap coach and high school level facilities?

Yeah, Tech can't get rid of any D1 sports and remain D1.
It's like people don't even read what I go to all that trouble to research, post and link.
(BTW, for those who want to know more about NCAA FBS funding requirements, here's a helpful FAQ. FBS programs must spend at least $4 mil on scholarships — we spend $10.5 mil. FBS programs must have at least 16 teams, at least 6 men's, at least 8 women's — we have 17, 9 men's and 8 women's.)

The football funding is not what holding us back. The institution itself is what's holding us back. And the only way to fix that is to get out from underneath the UGA controlled board of regents.
How are the board of regents restricting action by our president? Does the board of regents require that all of our degrees require Calculus or control our admission criteria?

Track and field would be tough to eliminate since that's actually two sports, with a lot of administrative overlap with the women's side. But in terms of how much you would save... you gotta be thinking in terms that include not just scholarships and coaching salaries, but travel costs, tuition waivers, drain on other support staff (trainers, academic advisors), etc. I have no idea how much that totals. Certainly enough to pay a some bright-eyed 24-year-old coaching-wannabes to serve as recruiting analysts / quality control officers.
Are there any football players who also run track and field? This is not uncommon. Not sure if eliminating T&F would be a net positive or not taking this into consideration.

Are there any football players who also run track and field? This is not uncommon. Not sure if eliminating T&F would be a net positive or not taking this into consideration.
I think it would only matter if the football players were getting scholarships through T&F, or if the opportunity to compete on the T&F team were a recruiting inducement. Not sure if either of those is true.

How are the board of regents restricting action by our president? Does the board of regents require that all of our degrees require Calculus or control our admission criteria?

The BOR absolutely has control over what degrees we add.

I think it would only matter if the football players were getting scholarships through T&F, or if the opportunity to compete on the T&F team were a recruiting inducement. Not sure if either of those is true.

Believe the rule is that if a player is a scholarship athlete at the school and plays football then the scholly must count against football. This prevents teams from tanking other sports to load up on football.

Do they control which courses we require for each degree program?

They oversee everything that isn't written into law. They're the ones who hire and fire the President.

All high ranked business schools require something akin to our "Survey of Calculus" and statistics courses. I was curious and looked at Vanderbilt's and ND's requirements for their business degrees. They have the same math requirements.

Large land grant schools also didn't set out at some point in time and say "we're going to create an athlete major." Well, that's not entirely the case at least. Big schools start with a huge variety of programs and some are easier. A similar Social Sciences or Communications program is very unlikely to be started at Tech.

The big schools also have a larger number of electives and faculty, and the athletes get first pick. AA's find the easiest paths for health, history, English, etc. requirements. GTAA absolutely does this as well, though there are fewer paths.

Other than trying to make us into UGA, here is one thing that could honestly help us out: NCAA having lower real practice time limits.

Can we eliminate the band? I'm sure that would free up some travel expense money and it really isn't necessary in the modern era.

That's fine with me. You can't hear 'em anyway over that loud crappy rap music that gets blasted as often as possible.

I’ve never watched a single one of those outside of a few baseball games. They could get rid of them all for all I care.

College baseball is awful.
I like the college baseball tournament but the regular season is pretty yawn inducing.

Back