Preferred starting QB (POLL)

Who is your preferred starting QB come 9/4/17?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Matthew Jordan

Votes: 79 58.1%
  • TaQuon Marshall

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Chase Martenson

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Tobias Oliver (coming in Fall)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • (Other)

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jones is your wiggle and Lucas is your passer. Both have speed. I think Jones will make people miss, but I think (and I mean think) Lucas has a little more discipline in following the offense. For some reason I see Jones more willing to run the midline than Lucas, but I have no proof, just a hunch given their running personality.

TM knows the offense more than Lucas and Jones. MJ knows it better than all three and opens up the middle more at this point.

MJ is still my choice for the first game, knowing that Jones and Lucas may make progress in the competition over the seasons. I love TM and he needs a place on the field.

After watching the spring game video I thought those that played were terribly inconsistent. Lucas had the big run but then looked terrible in the 2Q. Jones had 2 good runs but was terrible passing. Martinson actually looked best passing. Taquan started horribly then played much better in the 2H. There's a lot of potential for sure but a lot of variability right now.
I haven't been able to find a replay online. Does anyone have a link?

@GTTerrific GTBOB will post one in about a week when ESPN takes theirs down on WatchESPN. I have the first half on youtube, but I am talking through it.

@GTTerrific GTBOB will post one in about a week when ESPN takes theirs down on WatchESPN. I have the first half on youtube, but I am talking through it.
Thanks! Btw, have seen your break down of first half. Excellent work and always enjoy all of your videos. Look for your vids after all our games. Appreciate all you do!

For those of you that like Jay Jones over Lucas Johnson, or vice-versa can you explain why?
Jones seems like a fantastic athlete who will make things happen with the ball in his hands. JT-like quickness with better tackle-breaking ability. Johnson is the most polished passing recruit we've had at QB, and looks plenty fast enough to run the TO (faster than Tevin and probably faster than Nesbitt). My concern with Jones is whether or not he can pass accurately, and my concern with Johnson is whether or not he can run the midline. Obviously we don't know how well either will pick up the offense.

I have not seen enough of them to know. So, you guys tell me who I want to start based on my criteria for our QB, beginning with the most important:
1. Good ball handler - fakes, reads, handoffs and pitches executed without mistakes
2. Quick feet out from center and down the line
3. Accurate arm - will get it to open receivers
4. Patience - does not lose big yardage trying to make something out of nothing
5. Straight out speed - can get a big gain when it opens up
6. Toughness - will take a hit and get back up

Johnson shows a lot more gettup than I thought he had on that long TD run. Marshall looks sound. Jones reminds me of JT5 but looks raw still. The kind of guy that's gonna break a 30 yard gain and then lose 11 on the next play trying to reverse field. I'm too excited about the return of midline for it not to be Jordan, but after being admittedly skeptical about CPJS comment regarding QB depth I've got to say I'm a lot less worried about that position than I was after the bowl game. Hell I was even a pretty big Oliver fan for the '17 class. He's an auto-RS (unless he's the 2nd coming) and we're gonna have to start moving people next season.

I agree on thoughts including Oliver.

Back