Preferred starting QB (POLL)

Who is your preferred starting QB come 9/4/17?

• Lucas Johnson

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • Jay Jones

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Matthew Jordan

Votes: 79 58.1%
  • TaQuon Marshall

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Chase Martenson

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Tobias Oliver (coming in Fall)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • (Other)

Votes: 7 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quan didn't do much of anything this past week, but CPJ said he's played much better all spring. He is not much of a difference in size/speed from JT5 but I think Thomas was more athletic. Haven't seen quite what Quan can do just yet.

JJ is a freak athlete but is still too raw to run the system. Arm seemed to be powerful, but not accurate. As CPJ said, he thinks he's still in high school and will abandon the system to scramble and elude, which could be worrisome. (One could say JT5 did this too...)

MJ is Tevin 2.0 with more power. I trust him to run the 3O but not to play from behind. The arm isn't quite there, but he brings experience which can't be said for the others.

LJ seems to be the best dual-threat QB we have. From watching the spring game, it amazes me that he is #3 currently. He seemed to be the best QB on the field, granted, he was playing against 2nd team D.

Ultimately I trust CPJ to put the best player on the field, though, like some, I think we'll be seeing 2 QBs this fall.

Tevin 2.0 with more power actually sounds pretty good. Tevin knew how to run the offense well, he just didn't have the strength to do some of the things he wanted to do. I wouldn't be too upset with a Super Tevin.

I think some of you are letting 1 long TD run in a spring game cloud your judgement.
To be fair, I didn't even watch the Spring Game, and I've thought the same thing about LJ since we signed him. I believe he and JJ have the highest ceilings (for very different reasons), so I hope that one of them can win the job. If not, I feel confident that MJ can get the job done just fine.

After our first loss, 90% of StinGTalkers will accuse PJ of being a terrible, stubborn and close-minded coach by not playing the second string QB, who will obviously be a lot better than the starter. Can we just go ahead and start that thread?

This isn't the position to worry about, btw. Our third string right now is basically a 6-7 win QB with room to improve before the season. Based off the spring game, the team needs to clean up blocking on the line (always an issue in the spring), the QBs need to keep with the play....all of them...., and our receivers need to develop a mean streak where they go head hunting for a highlight reel block.

Those VT clips reminded me how much fun it is to punch someone in the mouth on offense. If our line is struggling, MJ needs to be in the game to get them in the rhythm. Nothing is better for our line play than to have a missed block and still get positive yards. It lets the guys fire out hard rather than being scared of missing an assignment. It's an underrated factor in this QB race.

Those clips are basically MJs biggest highlights of the year. He tossed up some DUCKS against VT. A couple of them looked to be so poorly thrown that they ended up drawing PIs against VT because they hung up so long and 3 defenders converged on our WR. Granted VT is often the best defense (along with Clemson) at pressuring our QB on drop backs, but anybody with eyes last season could see the drop off from JT to MJ in the passing game. JT was the best passer we've had since I started at Tech in '05. Just so happens we was the best runner (QB) too.

Those clips are basically MJs biggest highlights of the year. He tossed up some DUCKS against VT. A couple of them looked to be so poorly thrown that they ended up drawing PIs against VT because they hung up so long and 3 defenders converged on our WR. Granted VT is often the best defense (along with Clemson) at pressuring our QB on drop backs, but anybody with eyes last season could see the drop off from JT to MJ in the passing game. JT was the best passer we've had since I started at Tech in '05. Just so happens we was the best runner (QB) too.

He was the backup QB. His only real playing time was against VT. How many highlights should he have?

So he will start even if injured? I like it!

It was easier to type, and far more pithy, than a fully qualified and prevaricated bet condition that includes push opportunities for things like injuries or academic ineligibility. I will note that even as written nobody even attempted to take me up on it. We all know it's true.

He was the backup QB. His only real playing time was against VT. How many highlights should he have?

True story. Kind of supports my point. One pass to the AB up the seam - albeit a good one against Vandy - and one 10-yard completion against VT doesn't mean he's a versatile passer. He could be. And he'll have another year under his belt. But if we're just judging what he did last season his passing was very shaky against VT. I was holding my breathe every drop back.

True story. Kind of supports my point. One pass to the AB up the seam - albeit a good one against Vandy - and one 10-yard completion against VT doesn't mean he's a versatile passer. He could be. And he'll have another year under his belt. But if we're just judging what he did last season his passing was very shaky against VT. I was holding my breathe every drop back.

Most points scored against VT by a CPJ team. Keep holding your breath.

Reactions: eg1
I was getting vad vibes from Lucas Johnson at the scrimmage. Not in an attitude way, but skill set. I think Jay had some ups and downs, but I like his potential.
Me too on Lucas- nothing personal but he just reminded me of Vad. I'm with you on Jay as well. Speed and fancy feet kill. I think CPJ can tame that wild horse into a great QB.

A couple of them looked to be so poorly thrown that they ended up drawing PIs against VT because they hung up so long and 3 defenders converged on our WR.

That's exactly why those ducks were thrown. It's the duck pi route.

It was a big win, and I'm not defending anything here. However, I believe 1) VT had a new coach and 2) although Foster was there, they had a very young defense. Also, I recall a lot of unforced errors by VT. At one point, there QB was running with the ball on his helmet and no GT players were around.

I say all that to say this: based on one game, our qb played great. Lots of reasons to be optimistic. But he didn't single handedly carry us to victory either.

What's your argument here? I was pumped as öööö that game. First start of his career against a semi-rival in the division on the road? With three frosh in the OL? And starting BB out? It was a monumental performance and put the season in an extremely different (better) light. I'm not ööööting on MJ or trying to diminish what he did that day.

I'm trying to say if he passes all season like he passed that game, our completion percentage is going to drop below 50% again and our INTs are going to increase. Which may be counteracted by a resurgent inside QB run game - who knows. But I do know that even the commentators couldn't go 10 minutes in that game without mentioning MJ couldn't throw. Hopefully it was nerves and he's firing darts for us all year.

If you had projected Taylor Bennett's career on his first pass, he would have projected to be the greatest QB in NCAA history.

What's your argument here? I was pumped as öööö that game. First start of his career against a semi-rival in the division on the road? With three frosh in the OL? And starting BB out? It was a monumental performance and put the season in an extremely different (better) light. I'm not ööööting on MJ or trying to diminish what he did that day.

I'm trying to say if he passes all season like he passed that game, our completion percentage is going to drop below 50% again and our INTs are going to increase. Which may be counteracted by a resurgent inside QB run game - who knows. But I do know that even the commentators couldn't go 10 minutes in that game without mentioning MJ couldn't throw. Hopefully it was nerves and he's firing darts for us all year.

If the guy has a completion percentage all the way down at 40% that still means we only threw 3 incompletions all season. NBD IMO

Matthew Jordan beat Virginia Tech. And he's got more experience than the others. We're gonna be in fumble city with anyone else.
This. While the others might have a bigger upside, MJ showed me something in that VT game. He is faster than he looks (ha, had to throw in the typical white guy TV analysis) but also has some big time power we havent seen at QB since the Josh f-in Nesbitt days. I'm excited to see the unstoppable QB keeper 3rd/4th and 1 play again.

VT was in the backfield most of that game. When MJ has time he can make good throws.

Back