Portal opens on Monday

The portal closes in like 10 days and then we are stuck with who we got for 2024, right. It looks pretty bleak to me unless we pull 2-3 great DL out of the portal
That’s when the door to enter the portal closes. The exit remains open. We need to get commits from those who have entered before fall camp.

They may have been pushed.
Hard for me to believe that Key and Simpson would run off Tifase and Barton after a spring season 'audition'. Has college football on The Flats (and everywhere) become that cutthroat :dunno: ?

Tifase, Kelly and Barton all played with the 2s in spring game. Other than tifase jumping offsides, none really showed much. Kelly seemed genuinely into the game and surprised he would portal given the reps he got last year and the thinness of the group in front of him. I think Barton graduated from furman, so he seems like a guy just looking for a spot to lay down some solid P5 film in his last year of eligibility. Who knows. Maybe they are throwing out a nil deal like a rookie tryout camp bonus - we will give you x dollars to come try out in spring, if it doesn’t work, take the $, move along and try somewhere new in the fall.

Who knows. Maybe they are throwing out a NIL deal like a rookie tryout camp bonus - we will give you x dollars to come try out in spring, if it doesn’t work, take the $, move along and try somewhere new in the fall.
Interesting take.
Damn, you think that it's gotten to that? I'm too ööööing old to wrap my head around that:ohpoo:!

WTF? GUYS, YOU'RE NOT NFL-BOUND! Why not just 'go with the flow' and get a top-flight education that most of you would frankly never otherwise qualify for to prepare yourselves for the rest of your lives? Don't ANY of these ööööing kids get ANY familial guidance along the way?
You do realize some don’t have a choice right? CFB is like NFL “Hard Knocks” with how roster management works. Coaches have a post Spring practice evaluation and meeting with players individually. Getting “encouraged” to go in the Portal is code word for your ship’ is going elsewhere.

Hard for me to believe that Key and Simpson would run off Tifase and Barton after a spring season 'audition'. Has college football on The Flats (and everywhere) become that cutthroat :dunno: ?
The days of Dodd are over. Football is win now.

You do realize some don’t have a choice right? CFB is like NFL “Hard Knocks” with how roster management works. Coaches have a post Spring practice evaluation and meeting with players individually. Getting “encouraged” to go in the Portal is code word for your ship’ is going elsewhere.
If that's happening with guys who just portaled in, then it doesn't say a lot about their ability to evaluate film. to do it to guys just portaling in is really nothing more than a try out. hell, I knew some guys it took three years for the light to turn on mentally. Now theyre getting essentially three weeks?

If that's happening with guys who just portaled in, then it doesn't say a lot about their ability to evaluate film. to do it to guys just portaling in is really nothing more than a try out. hell, I knew some guys it took three years for the light to turn on mentally. Now theyre getting essentially three weeks?
don't know the individual situations but already leaving somewhere else to come here may make their rope shorter

Curious have you been paying attention at all to CFB over the last 3 years since the Portal became a thing? This isn’t the first situation where players leave after a short period of time. After the latest NCAA ruling it’s become even easier for coaches and players to do the following:

1. Provides coaches a way to process players easier.
2. Allows players to move between as many schools as they want (as long as they are in good academic standing).

There were numerous schools over the 85 limit going into Spring football, so it allowed the coaches an easy way to figure out who will be in the 3 deep going into Fall camp.

GT will fill the players leaving with even better options in the mind of the coaches. Just watch over the next few weeks. The pieces will fall into place.

There were numerous schools over the 85 limit going into Spring football, so it allowed the coaches an easy way to figure out who will be in the 3 deep going into Fall camp.
Correct. You only have to be down to the 85 limit by the fall. This works great if you're willing to cut, I mean portal out, the guys who didn't work out. Saban showed how running off players wins ever since he went to Bama.

Correct. You only have to be down to the 85 limit by the fall. This works great if you're willing to cut, I mean portal out, the guys who didn't work out. Saban showed how running off players wins ever since he went to Bama.
I can hear Bear Bryant cheering from his casket

College football is a business and not a participation trophy. Players wanted to get paid and have free rights to transfer at will. They have them. The flip side is that it’s now much easier to tell guys they have to go to make space for better players. I have no problem with it.

College football is a business and not a participation trophy. Players wanted to get paid and have free rights to transfer at will. They have them. The flip side is that it’s now much easier to tell guys they have to go to make space for better players. I have no problem with it.

This could also have a positive long-term impact on the bogus rating service business by exposing players that were highly over-rated. In the past, a 4* might sit on the bench for 4 years at a factory. Now he moves, gets PT and turns out to be nothing special. More visibility into what the real correlation between rating and performance should force the services to get more accurate. Or stop the schools from relying so much on them.

This, 100%

This could also have a positive long-term impact on the bogus rating service business by exposing players that were highly over-rated. In the past, a 4* might sit on the bench for 4 years at a factory. Now he moves, gets PT and turns out to be nothing special. More visibility into what the real correlation between rating and performance should force the services to get more accurate. Or stop the schools from relying so much on them.
It’s funny that schools that continue to get high ranked players brag about it, while schools that don’t get high ranked players will contend that rating services are bogus.

It’s funny that schools that continue to get high ranked players brag about it, while schools that don’t get high ranked players will contend that rating services are bogus.
What else do you expect each group to say?

Back