Portal opens on Monday

what a contrast to a time when recruiting and player analysis and potential and measureables and team need all came together for some engaging and interesting football banter. Football schemes and lots of x and o stuff. Old films clips relived. And of course the ever present hope for next year. Spring game energy. Practice nuggets taking up entire message board threads for days. Video snippets to hold you over till toe meets leather. Even the annual what color of gold is it. Now it is portal this and NIL that and super conference speculation.

End result is it seems every day some of us move closer and closer to the who cares category.

It was great when we knew you. Good luck to the new generation of fans that actually like this fake college football charade.

what a contrast to a time when recruiting and player analysis and potential and measureables and team need all came together for some engaging and interesting football banter. Football schemes and lots of x and o stuff. Old films clips relived. And of course the ever present hope for next year. Spring game energy. Practice nuggets taking up entire message board threads for days. Video snippets to hold you over till toe meets leather. Even the annual what color of gold is it. Now it is portal this and NIL that and super conference speculation.

End result is it seems every day some of us move closer and closer to the who cares category.

It was great when we knew you. Good luck to the new generation of fans that actually like this fake college football charade.
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/krhW9yWEI0x0Y" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

It's going to be okay my friend. :bigthumbup:

Put the gun down, bud....

Many people like me who agree with you are now former fans who aren't here anymore.

The nostalgia of yesteryear CFB is overblown. Cheating has been rampant for 60+ years. Look at roster management at Alabama under Bear Bryant for example. Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, SMU, etc all come to mind. In the 90’s it was Auburn, Tennessee, FSU, Nebraska, Alabama again, etc known for their off the field transaction$ and transgressions.

So to act like CFB was all about the school, amateurism, etc is just not how it really was. Pre 60’s maybe, but not since then. Now that players have some control, fans and coaches don’t like it. Yet coaches have always been able to break promises and leave whenever they want. Does CFB, CBB, etc have a lot that needs to be fixed? Hell yes. But it can and will get fixed.

To many i am sure the nostalgia is/was overblown . To many it was real. To me it was real. I guess I was fooled. Or at a minimum I was blissfully ignorant. Not enlightened. But I sure liked it. And miss it. It created in us a level of fandom and support and connection that in some eyes bordered on irrational. My point, at least generationally speaking, is I have yet to converse with anyone in my sphere of fans that says I really like the new model. It has always been this way so I am still all in. I have said this before. Time will tell if there will be an increase or decrease in fan support. I suspect TV eyeballs will be the only measuring stick and this will be void of the fake nostalgia many of us fell for. Of course I will still watch just as I do other forms of entertainment. Only now with enlightened eyes.

By whom? The NCAA? They're the ones responsible in the first place and all they've really shown they're good for is screwing up a three-car funeral.
Congress? they can screw up a two-car funeral.
No. This has been stated for a couple years leading up to this point, the new P4 will govern themselves. The NCAA is all but gone (thank goodness).

This is what comes to mind every time I hear the word "Portal"
images.jpg

No. This has been stated for a couple years leading up to this point, the new P4 will govern themselves. The NCAA is all but gone (thank goodness).
Wolves guarding the hen house.
Great.

Wolves guarding the hen house.
Great.
So you would rather the corrupt NCAA who cannot hand down any fair sanctions in the past continue to pretend to oversee P4 CFB? They lose more and more power to do anything by the day. Serves them right for causing what has now become P4 football.

With P4 autonomy, the conferences can establish NIL guardrails, stabilize the transfer portal, and run CFB like what it is…..NFL Lite.

Hell, let Saban be the commissioner for 3 years and hand it off once everything is in place and things normalize. Until a commissioner or committee is in place regulating things, nothing will get fixed. The Wild Wild West will continue spiraling out of control.

I have been saying for years that I don’t mind players learning football, media, nutrition, coaching, etc that you get naturally. I thought the progress to degree hurt Tech. There are lots of kids who learned plenty just by being in school for a few years.
But I also see these new rules and where they seem to be headed as a potential fatal blow to GT Football. We left the SEC over this stuff. I see this being the cause for us moving into Ivy 2.

I have been saying for years that I don’t mind players learning football, media, nutrition, coaching, etc that you get naturally. I thought the progress to degree hurt Tech. There are lots of kids who learned plenty just by being in school for a few years.
But I also see these new rules and where they seem to be headed as a potential fatal blow to GT Football. We left the SEC over this stuff. I see this being the cause for us moving into Ivy 2.
Ivy 2 based on what exactly? GT hasn't gone anywhere in the rankings over the last 20 years but a little down. Meanwhile the football factories have skyrocketed because those schools understand the PR value of athletics, so much so that many are right on the heels of GT today in any major overall ranking.

I think you mean Conference USA 2

Of course progress to degree hurt Tech. It directly punishes a school for having players take real majors with real challenges vs fake majors.

It still blows my mind That Stetson Bennet was a 7th (?) year senior at Georgia and left without a degree. I'm guessing we'll be seeing a lot more of that kind of thing in the new CFB world though.

Back