OK I know it's early, but....

Re: OK I know it\'s early, but....

Originally posted by B:
Not a flame at you, but the quote is indicative of the backsliding in our program. It wasn't that long ago when most of us Tech fans would look at that schedule and KNOW we would have a reasonable chance to win them all.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">B,
Amen.

There's a difference in knowing we have a chance to win them all and EXPECTING to win them all. I think we can beat everybody on our schedule next year. I also think it's probably the toughest schedule I can ever remember a Tech team playing. There are a few games we will definitely be the underdog in, a couple we will be favorites, but most will be pretty close calls.

With that kind of schedule you have to avoid injuries, play well every week, get good production from the skill position players and have some good breaks go your way. I expect a winning season. I would consider 7+ a good year, 9+ great against that schedule.

BTW, B, I don't get one of your comments. You state that you want us to compete with everyone on our schedule. I agree. But how does that translate to 8 wins? We competed with FSU last year, but we lost. My point is we can have a significantly better team next year, in fact we could have a team comparable to O'Leary's best, and still end up with 8 wins or so against that schedule. George's teams didn't just roll out there and beat people. It takes some breaks to win games.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
BTW, B, I don't get one of your comments. You state that you want us to compete with everyone on our schedule. I agree. But how does that translate to 8 wins? We competed with FSU last year, but we lost. My point is we can have a significantly better team next year, in fact we could have a team comparable to O'Leary's best, and still end up with 8 wins or so against that schedule.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree that competing and winning don't always have a 1:1 correlation. That is why W-L remains the ultimate yardstick. Look at Ohio State, they win ugly nearly every week but have done quite well under their coach. I think they probably have a few fans that grumble about their conservative nature on offense as critics will never completely go away, but I would imagine that 98% or better of their fan base are sold on their coach and the results he has obtained.

By competing, I mean avoidance of the blowout losses, to ANYBODY, be it local rivals or to teams like Duke, that undermine whatever signs of progress or improvement that CCG and his staff might have shown.

So,no I don't care if we were to play Miami or VT close or even give Duke a ballgame this year if we end up 5-6,2-9,6-5 whatever. I will be honest and say that the effort given in Tallahassee this fall was reason for me to be encouraged, but that went down the drain with the very next ballgame.I hope that clarifies my post for you.

I'd rather be 8-3 with three blowout losses than 6-5, but I very much get your point B.

safe with four or five wins? Are you kidding me? In our head coach's third season, we should expect more than that.

I support Coach Gailey, but next year is a defining year. After two mediocre seasons, he needs to match or better the number of wins from this season.

I think Gailey's job will be safe if he gets four to five wins next year. I think Braine is very patient and realizes that there are mitigating circumstances for which he is in large part involved.

Looking at the schedule, even four to five wins is no lock (it really is brutal). I personally want seven or eight wins. If Gailey does that and brings in a nice recruiting class, I'll finally be sold on him. (I'll be impressed if he gets 7 or 8 wins, but without a big recruiting class, it will just be 7 or 8 wins a year forever. You've got to recruit big-timers to win it all).

Off topic, someone said Donnan had character issues and was such a sorry coach that he couldn't get another job. I felt Donnan underperformed, but the man graduated his players at an impressive rate. Donnan is still under contract with UGA and accepting a coaching position would mean losing his income from that contract (mitigation of damages) so he won't try until the term of the contract expires.

Originally posted by B:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by speedbump:
Only 11 games next year? I'd be happy with a winning season with that schedule...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not a flame at you, but the quote is indicative of the backsliding in our program. It wasn't that long ago when most of us Tech fans would look at that schedule and KNOW we would have a reasonable chance to win them all. Of course, we would have also known that, like playing FSU, beating Miami would have required us playing absolutely mistake-free football due to difference in athletes. During this same era we perhaps failed to win them all but were competitive at all times, never getting hammered to the tune of 39-3,51-7,41-17 (by Duke), etc.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We have a chance at all of them, but unless our offense improves drastically, our defense would have to be near-perfect, like the FSU game this year. We just didn't hang enough points on the board regularly this year, and it hurt us, particularly against FSU and UVa. If it was the offense from 3 or 4 years ago, it would be a different story.

And I wasn't clear in what I meant - I wouldn't be "happy" with 6-5, that's a rather mediocre record, but it wouldn't be horrible. "Happy" would be 8-3 or so - we've been rebuilding the offense, and it would nice to see results. I think PJ can handle the ground attack pretty well, and I think Ball can improve in the air.

disagree...another 6 win season is not acceptable. It never should be...especially in Gailey's third year.

Not saying GT needs to beat everyone, but let's better the season from one year to the next at least a little.

I agree JP...another 6 win season would be bad, no reason we should have to wait any longer for a season with 8-10 wins!! What kind of recruits could we bring in after 4 average seasons.

Even with a 6 win season we wouldn't have had 4 bad seasons. Mediocre maybe, but bad seasons as seen by recruits are 2-3 win types. What will be important next year is competing in every game and winning 7+ IMO. A close win on TV to a Miami can help with recruiting if you follow it up with a strong showing across the board. See WVU for proof.

VT and Miami have been sliding though - Temple was very close to beating VT, and we're better than Temple. Miami was behind Syracuse for a long while as well. Admittedly I don't know what they're doing in the offseason, but they weren't the powerhouses they'd been in the past in 2003.

Not to be arguing with you Speedbump..Miami having what one down year losing 2 games should NOT be considered sliding...They have as many great players on one squad than anybody in all of college Football...As i was reading in Lindy's today..They were one bad call away (Last year in the Fiesta) from being called a Dynasty...the most dominate team in all of College Football the last 20+ years...They had QB issues this year (For the 1st time in a long while)that caused them to get beat a couple of times...Make NO doubt they are one of the top 2 programs in the country...Everyone keeps saying FSU is down Well, Why? They have not gotten production out of Chris Rix at QB the last 3 years (heck they were also on their 3rd string string Qb against ugag in last years Sugar Bowl) and Bowden and their fans will tell you that is the problem..as one magazine said all of the teams in the country would trade rosters with FSU in a heartbeat...They have talent galore...In the past 15 years in their dominate run they had great play from the QB position..I heard Kim King say that also about Fsu.(they had such consistency at QB thru their dominate run)...It goes to show you that QB is the most important position on the field...Fsu and Miami both are top 5 programs talent wise....

As to VT they were up and down..But they have a good enough team to beat ANY team on a good day....

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Not to be arguing with you Speedbump..Miami having what one down year losing 2 games should NOT be considered sliding...They have as many great players on one squad than anybody in all of college Football...As i was reading in Lindy's today..They were one bad call away (Last year in the Fiesta) from being called a Dynasty...the most dominate team in all of College Football the last 20+ years...They had QB issues this year (For the 1st time in a long while)that caused them to get beat a couple of times...Make NO doubt they are one of the top 2 programs in the country...Everyone keeps saying FSU is down Well, Why? They have not gotten production out of Chris Rix at QB the last 3 years (heck they were also on their 3rd string string Qb against ugag in last years Sugar Bowl) and Bowden and their fans will tell you that is the problem..as one magazine said all of the teams in the country would trade rosters with FSU in a heartbeat...They have talent galore...In the past 15 years in their dominate run they had great play from the QB position..I heard Kim King say that also about Fsu.(they had such consistency at QB thru their dominate run)...It goes to show you that QB is the most important position on the field...Fsu and Miami both are top 5 programs talent wise....

As to VT they were up and down..But they have a good enough team to beat ANY team on a good day....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's true... if Berlin comes out and dominates, they will be a very strong team. But if (a big if) they play like they did at times this year when they play us, I think we can beat them. We did do much better at home this year than on the road, so that would help us too. VT, though, has lost four of their last six, comparable to our losing three of our last four, and except for Duke, to teams of similar caliber to our opponents.

But their's far too much with the offseason that could happen to tell now. I'm more worried about Miami than VT though.

Speedbump..one thing is for sure..If you win the ACC you deserve a shot at the MNC...

Did you hear that tonight on Espn..Corso and the gang said they thought BC would be able to come in 2004 and that Jacksonville, will probably be the site of the ACC Champioship....

I love how people think we'll beat VPI or Miami this year. Get real folks. How many top 10 teams have we beaten in the last 25 years? How many top 10 teams has any team in America beaten in the last 10 years? Add them up, there aren't many. To suggest that any coach is measured by their ability to win 50% of their games against Top 10 teams is ludicrous. It just isn't so.

In 2004, we play what may be the toughest schedule in America:

Miami, Preseason #1 to 3
VPI, Preseason #12
UVA, Preseason #20 (all those recruits are now Soph/Juniors)
Clemson, Preseason #15 (their whole team comes back)
UGA, Preseason #7 (their whole team comes back)
NCS, Preseason #30 (they lose Rivers)
MD, Preseason #19
Wake Forest, Preseason #35
Duke, Preseason #90
UCONN, Preseason #75
Samford, UR
UNC, Preseason #70

Eight teams in the top 35 is a mighty tough schedule particularly since most winnable top games are away. 6-6 would be acceptable considering everything. We'll do better soon though.

I guess ND is out since they got a new tv contract. I don't think they ever intended to joing the ACC.

Back