Next year

IM79

Flats Noob
Listening to the radio post game, Joe Ham just said Coach Sherrer would be better next year with a year of experience under his belt.
does he know something we don’t

Probably not, but I assumed we would have made a change by now if we were making a change
Yea. They already told Tillman and Thacker they weren’t coming back; would assume a decision has also been made to retain others.

Would've been kinda hard to nuke the entire defensive staff and still prep for a bowl, no?
Well the plan was for Thack and Tillman to coach the bowl, but someone (Gef) leaked they were fired to FootballScoop so Key took them off the field for the Bowl game

As an observation: when we were down 14-0, the cameras focused in on Coleman and Sherrer coaching their guys HARD. I've been very critical of Coleman, but I'm willing to admit that our DEs in this game started in unfamiliar roles and became better about defending the read option throughout the game. Getting more heft into the DL for the bowl game was an improvement after the 1st quarter.

I agree about the in-game adjustments to the D tonight, but we have GOT to do something about kickoff return coverage. At least we finally got back to kicking off into the endzone tonight. Got to keep doing that.
We need more consistent pressure from the front 7 too. I liked the adjustments and the pressure we were getting in the second half, especially 4Q, but that was an anomaly for our season. If we can apply that pressure, and actually tackle - even just like sometimes - we will be much improved.

The defensive adjustments we made tonight were pretty substantial. Hats off to whoever was behind that.
Adjustments were good but it still doesn't take into account the fact we can't cover opposing receivers for shat, and we look stupid when it comes to open field tackling, and overall our defense is slow.

Back