National Report Card

I enjoyed the article and was alarmed at the percentages. I think America was better educated in the late 1800's and early 1900's than today.
Culture has vastly changed in the last fifty years. Children have to have examples to follow, educated begets educated. Read, read and read more,
teach kids not to be afraid of analytics. I have said that what TECH does with their athletes is absolutely amazing, but it proves that there is not an
intellectual deficit, just a desire deficit.
Meh -- the chattering classes have been clutching their collective pearls and tut-tutting about young people's education since Aristotle's day.

The Flynn Effect suggests that contrary to popular belief, your kids aren't dumber than you.

"HQ gif'd"?
giphy.gif

your gif was high quality. The video quality on the Caddyshack gif was certainly better than what you would typically see in a meme gif.

Meh -- the chattering classes have been clutching their collective pearls and tut-tutting about young people's education since Aristotle's day.

The Flynn Effect suggests that contrary to popular belief, your kids aren't dumber than you.
Dumber, certainly not....less aware/educated, certainly so. A very significant % of kids under 25 are unaware of the Holocaust, not to mention a host of many other facts of life that most of us on here take for granted. Aristotle's generation was probably correct, but now it's correct x 1000s. Ever read something a teenager actually wrote on their own....it's pathetic! Are there exceptions---of course, some really impressive ones, but they are the far far right tail of a normal distribution curve.

Harrison was an idiot.

What he was attempting to do was actually continue to make money by selling out Grant Field, while at the same time fostering a stupid elitist mentality, and not investing the money back in the program like everyone else.

He expected people to continue buying tickets, while at the same time having facilities that were becoming outdated and filthy. The worst homeless shelters in Atlanta had cleaner restrooms than he allowed at Grant Field.

What a bum and fraud.

Since when do the academic funds and athletic funds mix, other than student athletic fees? I thought this was illegal.

As to the thread, we've gone further and further towards using professional certification, standardized testing and degree attainment as ways to officially discriminate in the job place so I am more than a little confused. And the Google example about not wanting to require certain college degrees is easy to understand. Certain entrepreneurial industries require pure know-how and can do attitude much more than they need sheepkins and advanced degrees. Its the organizations that are wrapped up in legal requirements, overregulation and protective legislation that wallow in mud of complacency and become uncompetitive with upcoming emerging economies not mired in such crap.

I'm shocked no one has made the obvious observation that it is way passed time to do away with public education as a society. Privatize the whole lot.

Last edited:
Dumber, certainly not....less aware/educated, certainly so. A very significant % of kids under 25 are unaware of the Holocaust, not to mention a host of many other facts of life that most of us on here take for granted. Aristotle's generation was probably correct, but now it's correct x 1000s. Ever read something a teenager actually wrote on their own....it's pathetic! Are there exceptions---of course, some really impressive ones, but they are the far far right tail of a normal distribution curve.
OK -- but it's easy for old people to forget how uneducated we all were when we were younger. Just sayin'

OK -- but it's easy for old people to forget how uneducated we all were when we were younger. Just sayin'
I get it eg1, but in my uneducated days the kids who didn't pass the not so hard (prior to dumbing down) tests were flunked until they could get a C. PC ended that, and it's been an unmitigated disaster, especially for those the PC was intended to help.
If they can't read, can't write, and can't add/subtract, then even the gadget savvy entrepreneurial kids today won't make it. What they will do, is carjack you.

I think that's what he's trying to point out. We have the highest athlete SAT in the NCAA, better than the student body average of some of the schools we compete with. We are part of a very small crowd of people rooting for student athletes. Most CFB fans are just rooting for athletes.
These are the type of results you get with liberal arts schools. Wasn’t UGA the school that had a professor let his students name their own grade?

A few people on here bashed Dodd and Harrison for leaving the SEC. But they saw the cheating, gaming of the system, and abject jokes for curriculum of most of the SEC brethren. There was never going to be any give from The Hill and the BOR.

I get it eg1, but in my uneducated days the kids who didn't pass the not so hard (prior to dumbing down) tests were flunked until they could get a C. PC ended that, and it's been an unmitigated disaster, especially for those the PC was intended to help.
If they can't read, can't write, and can't add/subtract, then even the gadget savvy entrepreneurial kids today won't make it. What they will do, is carjack you.
I'll have to accept that we live in very different neighbourhoods, which must be contributing heavily to different perceptions of these changes -- the chances of a carjacking hereabouts has always approximated to zero (and remains so), whether we flunked those kids and lots of them dropped out as we used to do, or pass them along in the current PC way as we do now (current Provincial high school graduation rate in Ontario is higher than 80% -- over 90% in our county).

Then again, if international test scores are to be believed, the education hereabouts is also rather different than in Georgia, to the extent that US PISA scores are representative.

This is what you get when you make borrowing money for college possible with a pinky swear. Everyone wants to go, and colleges make room for them despite their unpreparedness because of the revenue. To keep them there, you have to make courses easier, and in the meantime colleges can raise the price of tuition with no fear of not filling their enrollment. They spend the money on water parks and attractions instead of education, because they know that's what draws more applicants.

Soon college degrees cost 3x what they did 20 years ago even adjusted for inflation, and yet have lost their value in the workforce. The irony is that now the construction industry is in crisis mode because there are no young people willing to learn skilled trades, and when the current generation of foremen and managers retire, there'll be no one to replace them.

We should probably just forgive all college debt. That'll cure this great injustice.

This is a GREAT post. -btw-I have a grandson at college and he ( really I) paid 21 times the tuition/fees/dorm I did at Tech 50 yrs ago.

Back