just suppose,

Sad. And for those who said otherwise, TML is indeed one of the ones who bashed Gailey alongside MsDA and BeeWare.

But in all honesty, I'm done with the whole debate as to whether Gailey should be supported. He's been here two years, and while they haven't been spectacular, we've been building. Have we lost to UGA twice? Yes. Did we loose to UGA under all our other coaches? Yes. Are we showing progress? Yes. With a very tough schedule last year, we came out with a winning record and much to build on. We proved once again that when it looks as though we'll be unable to recover from a stumble, we jump right back up and start fighting again.

Those of you who have been bashing Gailey since and before 02 can run your mouths all you want. I have no respect for your opinion and will simply ignore what negative thoughts you have towards Gailey because if Chan does lead this program up, then you won't be around to admit you were wrong. Why will I ignore you? Because you originally had no basis for your hatred or dislike of Gailey in the first place, yet you bashed him just as badly then as you do now.

You can claim that you're doing nothing more than to stand up for Tech all you like, but you're fully aware that you're just a part of something that is dividing our fanbase.

The whole argument that Chan shouldn't be our coach is more ridiculous to me now than ever. Chan is our coach and like him or not, he's going to be for this season. Your whinings will not change that fact, so do everyone a favor and keep your mouth closed.

By the way - look at the underclassmen we do have.

DL Parker, Henderson, and Anoi will be terrors. Mark my words. ( I do realize this could become, "Read my lips," at election time.) Wrotto and the freshmen will hold their own. Maybe someone actually brings some heat out of this group. I don't see how not, with the incoming talent.

DB - Scott will dominate. When Chan Gailey, who thinks everybody is a 'meow,' says KS is big time, I belive him.

Tenuta says the same of Butler - again high praise.

I'd put Landry and Houston against most anybody we face. I'll take Scott, Houston, Landry, and Butler over any group of DB's since 1990. Period. Throw Reis (or Butler) in at nickel and QB's will actually cry.

Wilkinson - per Gailey would have been a D Smith if all his time had been spent at Mike. It hasn't, so let's say he performs like D Smith as a sophomore. I'll take it all day long.

So the only place we are short is LB, which is a major problem. Look at my other posts on this, but there is no way at least one guy doesn't step up as a 2nd dominate LB and no way somebody doesn't step up as a simply adequate guy we can cover with schemes and stunts.

I'd actually expect a big-time LB corp by late season, but a below average LB corp opening day. We'll be able to cover this in a couple of games with the surrounding talent. We'll pay dearly in a couple also until these guys can let the world quit spinning.

So - that's defense. Probably will cost us Clemson and Miami. - maybe Maryland. Maybe we get lucky and win 2 of these 3. Probably don't. If not, UGA and VT become real swing games, but we roll in there with plenty of talent and 'some' experience.

Offense.

Nobody realized how good Ather Brown was last year until he went down at FSU and KaMichal Hall had to take his spot.

Where am I goiong with this?

I view our OL this year like our LB's last year.

Pretty dang good, but if anybody goes down, it will be game changing trouble - fast.

So - can they hold out?

The OL is good, but an injury liability. Can Leon get his wrist fixed - very unlikely - I wouldn't even hope it.

Can Brezina get his toe fixed? No idea, but he'd be another Reilly, if so.

Johnson is a more than capable back-up. The guy can play as well as anybody in spot duty, but he takes plays off. A perfect back up. He can bring it, but won't be on the field enough to take plays off. If he is on the field, he won't anyway, because he won't want to give the field back to anybody.

So - we have DL help that can move to OL if needed. We don't want this to happen.

I think we'll hold our own this year at OL. I see us boing ok, not dominant. Probably dominant at times depending on health.

Tight end.

Williams can catch and block. Matthews can also. I'm ok here - not blown away.

WR - a question. Curry, Thomas, Bilbo, Logan, Dunlap, Johnson. I bet Johnson steps up. WR is a position where a freshman can excel. That gives us 2. Thomas could be a stud, but he's inconsistent. Same with Logan and Bilbo. Either they step up, or we live in a 2 tight end set and run, run, run.

Pat Carter could be a factor here depending on what Taylor Bennett accomplishes. Pat has all the tools but isn't really a tough guy... yet.

We also have some FAST freshmen that 'could' contribute - James Johnson, Patrick Clark, Cox, etc.

FB - Ace and/or Matthews. Ace relly contributed last year as he began to figure out the Warrick Dunn role. Slipping to flanker and making a few blocks. We'll miss Dixon's blocking though. I'd say ok at FB.

So that leads us to RB (and I don't mean Reggie Ball).

We have 4 guy swe KNOW can RUN. 1 we know can block, and 3 that might. PJ, Woods, Grant, and (maybe) Samson. Ace if need be.

I see tailback as a flat out strength. When a guy like Chris Woods is still ahead of Grant, they are both pretty dang good. When we haven't heard Gailey talk ONE TIME about how he hopes for Samson's return (who we know is a real talent), then the group as a whole must be pretty dang good.

Here is a guy we keep not hearing about. I have a suspicion that Drew Gause will end up being in the mix. He's a bowling ball with legs and has good speed. I don't know if he's a superstar with the ball, but I would be real surprised if a guy with a body type like his doesn't end up getting Chan's attention as a blocking RB. 5'8" 205 with 4.4 speed. That's a headache with legs if I'm on defense. How do you get lower than that guy?

I know he didn't have the offers, but the baseball thing has been a factor and it also depends on how his skills were utilized before.

So - QB.

I think Reggie is a very capable QB. That's as far as I will go on Reggie. I think he talks too much and he forgets that he is a QB, and not some other position on the field.

The first time he actually walks away from a defensive guy running his mouth, I'll feel better about Reggie. He needs to get to the point that he doesn't even acknowledge those guys when it happens.

Reggie gets a B. He can do the job, but will 'never' be Joe Ham, Donnie Davis, or Shawn Jones. I'd love for you all to tell me what an idiot I am by the third game of the season.

I think Taylor Bennett and Pat Carter will make Reggie better, and Bennett could make a place for Carter to get on the field at WR. Gailey says Carter is the best athlete on the team. The Kid has 4.4 speed.

I think our offense will live or die by Reggie's consistency, Johnson's learning curve, and the health of the OL.

I think we can count on a solid RB corp, so the variables are the guys that block for them, the guy that hands it to them, and the guys that stretch the field enough for the RB's to get the holes.

That's a lot of variables.

There are too many of the variables with a likely positive, though. I see the O doing better than last year, but not setting the world on fire.

I'm confident about our offense doing ok and our defense putting our offense in a position to win low scoring games.

I'm confident that Reggie will put on a clinic at least 2 times in early games that are big games.

I'm confident that somebody young on the OL and at LB and/or DL will change everything we think right now on the plus side of the equation. The youth will hurt us, but we have so much talent coming in, that there's no way it doesn't benefit us at some point during the season also.

That's the breakdown. That's why I'm optimistic, guys. I really think Chan will get some nice surprises worked out this year.

Re: Just SUPPOSE....Bobby Bowden

BW, we haven't had a post like this in quite some time. He posts an honest question you accuse him of dawgdom. It's like a repeat of last year all over.

All of those coaches you have mentioned have earned more leeway than ours has, except for Roof.

Five or Six wins isn't acceptable under normal conditions but if we have injuries, etc. he should get another year to straighten it out.

But, if we suffer another 51-7, Duke, Clemson, or Fresno State debacle, a decision will need to be made.

Re: Just SUPPOSE....Bobby Bowden

[ QUOTE ]
BW, we haven't had a post like this in quite some time. He posts an honest question you accuse him of dawgdom. It's like a repeat of last year all over.

All of those coaches you have mentioned have earned more leeway than ours has, except for Roof.

Five or Six wins isn't acceptable under normal conditions but if we have injuries, etc. he should get another year to straighten it out.

But, if we suffer another 51-7, Duke, Clemson, or Fresno State debacle, a decision will need to be made.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may want to read over some of TML's past posts before you accuse BW of jumping the gun. TML knew exactly what he was doing when he was made this thread.

I feel your pain BOR

I have to say that I am a bit "worried" this year with so many young players on our roster.
<font color="blue">These are my 3 main concerns </font>

1. Missed Tackles or Fundamentals- missed tackles have killed us for the last 3 years, and hasn't really gotten any better, either. With all the youngsters, fundamentals of Football 101 should be pounded in their skulls. Until it is second nature.

2. Offensive line- too many position swaps bring little experience to the line. We have to protect Reggie and open up holes for PJ / Woods.

3. Kicking team- This was one of our MAJOR downfalls last year. i hope the new kicker (name?) will be ready.

I have supported Chan since day one, but he is barely over .500 in his tenure at Tech. We have squeeked by to crappy bowls. i am tired of being a mediocre team( middle of the road, average) just getting by. I want what YOU ALL want. I want Tech to be the best football program in Georgia. I would like to be Ranked at the end of the season. I would like for us to Finally beat FSU in ACC football(in 2005). I want Tech to have the respect of all sports fans in Ga. Not just us. I pride myself in being one of the only Tech fans in my group of friends. There are not many of us. Where will TEch tradition be when I have children and they get to be my age. Will they be proud like I was/am? It all starts now. This is a new century. ANd we are 0-3 against Ugay and FSU in this century.
I don't mean to sound so negative but I had to let it out now, because from now on I am just going to be excited for the upcoming season and look forwrd to it and see what happens. Hopefully greatness.

Mutt H8er

Go Jackets and To Hell With Georgia

looking at his ability to evaluate talent and seeing that the classes have gotten stronger each year and seeing how many top players have us on their list this year. mediocre is a word that leads me to believe that you aren't paying very close attention to what he has been doing and that perhaps you are longing for the days of george o. people were saying the same thing about cph and once he got his own players, you saw what happened. nobody here said we would win 8 or 9 games. we were using the what if just as you were. the gate swings both ways. one more recruiting class and then if he doesn't win then we will accept your mediocre estimate. it is too early now to make that statement.

Answer: Yep
I have stated before and I'll do it again, CG is in the process of BUILDING a solid competitive team, not a flash in the pan deal. To do this will take a few years to set in motion. I also said at the gitgo that we should allow him 3 or 4 years to see what he is going to do. However with the grade gate looming as it did, it may take a bit longer. Be patient with him because he is quality stuff, and with a little support from the GT fan base, he may surprise you. Hang in there buddy.

Here's the thing TML, we have won exactly 2 ACC championsihps in football. 1990 and the one we shared in 1999 when we lost to FSU. Those are really the only two years we challenged for a title either. So to say you don't see us competing for the title under Gailey is to basically say you see him as comparable to any coach we've had since Dodd. O'Leary never beat FSU, and never came as close as we did last year. What George really had going for him was Fridge, JoeH and Goose. IF we get QB play anywhere near that level from RB or anyone else, we'll have the same kind of season under Gailey.

The difference I see is that Chan is trying to build a team like the one O'Leary seemed to really want. That is, one that plays great defense and is more of a power oriented offense. GO didn't have time to finish his transition from the Fridge model to what he seemed more comfortable with. We'll see if Gailey can do it.

In the long run, that kind of team will give us a better chance of consistent success IMO. We want to be solid on both sides of the ball, if not spectacular. Before we were spectacular on offense and awful on defense. It may not be as exciting, but it can be much more effective.

Finally, Chan is operating under vastly different rules than any coach we've ever had. The new recruiting practices at Tech coupled with the NCAA changes make it much more difficult for us to restock quickly to offset the impact of grade-gate. I agree with BOR and others. We'll have talent this year but a lot of youth. Some guys are going to have to step up and provide leadership. I'm optimistic but this may be a difficult year. I still hope for minimum 7 wins and a bowl.

The Jacket: Your right..Before Ccu trys to justify TML's post he needs to review his past posts..And yes your absolutely right in the fact that TML longs for the Oleary Days and a lot of us feel that Gailey will most definetlty be a better coach in the LONG RUN...Err...Didnt Oleary have like a 11-11 record and No bowl game his 1st 2 years here and didnt beat Ugag his first 4 years here???...OUCH!!!!
The Jacket your also right..On WHY does TML at this point in time bring up this Gailey debate AGAIN..My whole point...In referring to all the other ACC boards..This is the preseason and everyone is optomistic on the upcoming seasons for their respective teams and the FACT that Gailey (Bobby Bowden and so many other coaches said so) Did a terrific job to have us win 7 games last year in light of Flunkgate and has respect nationwide but a FEW JERKS HAVE TO KEEP UP THE DRUMBEAT...The timing of Tml's post just shows his persistent dislike toward Gailey..

Techfowl: Im like you and fans i converse with..Im very optomistic as Far as what Gailey is building here at GT..

Atlanta Panther: Your a good guy..And NO, someone like TML will NOT look at the terrible circumstances Gailey faced last year and the FACTS (The great job he did to manage to get us to 7 wins when almost everyone said we might win 2 to 3 games at most) Facts have nothing to do with TML..He just does not like Gailey and has admitted so....

NcJacket..You just summed up my thoughts

completly..I was thinking along the very same lines today...The one point about the type team we are building (Belly said this last year) An LSU type team ...WILL have a chance to be a more consistent winner once we have the depth and upper class leadership here... And yes, I think Oleary deep down wanted this type team and got off track when Friedgen was here..I also seriously doubt Oleary would have EVER found a way to be able to bring in the Dlineman..Gailey/Tenuta have proven unlike our past coaches to be able to attract Dline talent...

By the way, What ever happened to Belly??

with all due respect, how much does being a senior really mean anymore. All the blue chippers have gone on the NFL before their senior year and unless they are not physically developed yet, the extra time just doesn't seem to matter like it used to.

Re: NcJacket..You just summed up my thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, What ever happened to Belly??

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you hear, I ran his liberal arse off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
barrell o rum, i appreciate your candor , i simply dont have faith that we will ever be more than mediocre with gailey. it is not a personal attack, i just dont think we will compete for any acc championship with him at the helm. i hope i am wrong and we go undefeated. it was not intended to flame anyone, cant we just have a different opinion without being called osama bin laden.

[/ QUOTE ]

Osama Osama!!! Bin Laden has cut his hair, had facial surgery and is posting under the name Toemeetsleather on a GT message board... God, I thought the one place Al Quaida wasn;t on was Stingtalk. Apparently I was wrong. The world is going to hell.

In direct answer to the question, I would still support keeping Chan even if we won 5 or 6 games and lost to UGA this year. I think he gives us the best chance of making the most of what we have, given the academic hurdles put in place by the GT administration, the smallness of the fan base, and the toughness of our competition.

But what I really want to address is another issue that I see time and again, whenever anyone brings up a question of this sort. Why must the questioner's motives always be questioned? Sure, the guy is probably not a fan of Chan. Sure, the guy probably does not want him to be coach. Sure, the guy probably wants to canvass the public to gage the level of support Chan has. But so what? It is still a valid question.

I happen to think Chan is doing a great job now, but I see no problem in someone asking how others feel about him. In fact, it is probably better to ask now than in the middle of the season, say, fresh off a miraculous upset win, or in the aftermath of a devastating loss. Think the results might be skewed then?

And not only is it better to ask outside of the season than during the season, it is also better to ask before than after. Why? Well, when you ask someone to commit to a position before the results are known, they will not be swayed by the squirm factor. What is the squirm factor? Let me put it this way... When you are faced with the prospect of firing someone (or in this case, support the firing of someone) due to unacceptable performance, the stress and trauma of having to go through that process may make what was once unacceptable performance now seem, well, tolerable. In other words, "Well, I was going to fire the guy, but hey, he DID try real hard. And do we REALLY want to go through all this stress?" Suddenly, the enormity of firing someone becomes too overwhelming, and the unacceptable performance becomes tolerable.

By asking the question, the enquirer is in effect asking someone to commit to a position up front. So that in the event that the unacceptable performance becomes reality, they can point back and say, look, you said you would support firing him if this happened. And that in turn will cause people to be less likely to squirm and back away from their original positions.

So, yes, I think it is a valid question, and no I don't think a 5-win season with a loss to UGA is a fireable offense.

[ QUOTE ]

So - QB.

I think Reggie is a very capable QB. That's as far as I will go on Reggie. I think he talks too much and he forgets that he is a QB, and not some other position on the field.

The first time he actually walks away from a defensive guy running his mouth, I'll feel better about Reggie. He needs to get to the point that he doesn't even acknowledge those guys when it happens.

Reggie gets a B. He can do the job, but will 'never' be Joe Ham, Donnie Davis, or Shawn Jones. I'd love for you all to tell me what an idiot I am by the third game of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he does what you recommend in your first paragraph, then I really feel that he can have the same kind of overall impact on GT that the guys you listed did. But I agree with your general feeling on RB.

It doesn't bother me if any font is optimistic or cautious
in their perception because that is just the way we ALL are.
I can see plenty of reasons to be cautious when we look at three aspects of our FB tea.
1- We are very suspect on the ST and particularly so in the fact that our punting is ONE big question mark. ST's are my biggest concern at the moment.

2-We have some big question marks as it pertains to our OL in both quality and depth. If we can avoid injury we may be o.k. here but this will require a lots of attention from Chan and his fine staff.

3-The schedule is a monster and with a team as young as ours we may lose a game or two because of our youth.

4-Although our QB has a full season under his belt we still seem to lack a long passing attack that will force our opponents to stretch their defense.

But after listing all these concerns I would be remiss if I failed to point out the excitement that pervades our campus because of the fine young talent that our fine staff are bringing to the flats which will assure us of a bright future.
If we can get these kids to Gel this season then we will be on our way because I truly feel that after this upcoming season that we will be among the better teams in the ACC.

But to answer your question about Chan's future, I think it is very bright.

Big Buck....I like

your response...I dont think anyone would question when fans have concerns about our team and an upcoming season..Heck EVERY college team has concerns going into each season....I have several for this year.(LB's are my main concern)...BUT, there is a BIG difference in that TML brings up this question about our fine coach Gailey.That contoversy should be over by now..As you said, MOST GT fans are optomistic and appreciate what Gailey has done under some VERY difficult circumstances (Most of which was out of his control) BUT To keep bringing up the same ole Drumbeat against Gailey is unacceptable for MOST GT fans at this point..That is the BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Back