just suppose,

toe meets leather

Flats Noob
we win only 5 or 6 games in football and lose again to uga, will you still be in support of our head football coach.

Let\'s suppose Richt gets beat by UF again

and loses to either GT and UT this year??? Will the bulldog nation who worships him (Although he has yet to win a MNC) start barking for his firing???

It sounds like you want us to lose??????

What is your purpose or agenda with your post???

This has to be the most negative post in sometime !!!

Re: Let\'s suppose Richt gets beat by UF again

call it whatever you wish to , i think it is a probable scenario.

Don't know, I'd rather not think about it unless it happens.

Nobody here takes you serious...You were

one of the ones predicting preseason last year that we would win only 2 or 3 games!!!!

Re: Nobody here takes you serious...You were

tml=MsTA=beeware= /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/puke.gif

As we keep making progress each year toward the

goal Gailey has established (Winning the ACC) I wonder if we still have to hear from this trio??? They are getting nervous!!!!

and just suppose we win 8 or 9 and beat georgia will there be any more just supposes about gailey's ability to recruit and coach?

[ QUOTE ]
we win only 5 or 6 games in football and lose again to uga, will you still be in support of our head football coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh jeeze, can we stop with all the paranoia. TML asked an honest question, which I will give an honest answer.

1.) I think were still in recovery from grade gate. I said last year that grade gate "will take at least 2 years to get over". That's just a fact. We're building a lot of young depth, but our problem is many of our starters are Fr and Sophs and the guys behind them are fr and sophs too. We have 3 seniors on offense and 1 senior on defense. That's 4 seniors out of 22 starters. That's REALLY BAD!!! We're counting on leadership, experience, and minutes from a bunch of young guys. The fact of the matter is I will be VERY impressed if we go to a bowl this year.

2.) If we go to a bowl game this year, then eveyrone should bow down and worship the ground Gailey walks on, because I don't know many coaches who could do that with so much inexperience. I think a realistic goal is for Gailey to just hold the ship above water. If we went 6-6 I think that is a solid season.

We only have 2 easy wins on our schedule in Samford and UConn. We have 2 more probable wins in Duke and Carolina. If we can somehow steal wins at NCST and at home with UVA then I think that is accomplishing something.

3.) When Gailey was hired, we didn't figure him to be rebuilding a team in his 3rd year, but unfortunately we are through no fault of his. We have some solid youth and the majority of the Tech fans that I know are willing to give Gailey the time he needs to build this program. We got a LOT of youth, this year will be one in the books. I will begin to expect good things NEXT year, but not this. I think our offensive line is going to be hurting bad this year and you cannot win without a good offensive line.

I'm not being a pessimist, I'm being a realist. Anyone who honestly thinks we SHOULD win 8 games or more is either on drugs or just doesn;t pay attention to ACC football. This is a rebuilding year, and everyone needs to start getting used to it. Anything more is just cake.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hitit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and loses to either GT and UT this year??? Will the bulldog nation who worships him (Although he has yet to win a MNC) start barking for his firing???

It sounds like you want us to lose??????

What is your purpose or agenda with your post???

This has to be the most negative post in sometime !!!

[/ QUOTE ]

The people that had aggendas are gone from this board. Can you please not start up on this again this year? Some people are not yet sold on Gailey and TML asks an honest question. Stop being paranoid. I really don't want to spend another season of accusations and aggendas. Please give it a rest. You'll enjoy the board more. I know I will.

We will win more than 5 or 6 games.

We will beat either Miami, UGA, or VT, and will play all of them well. We have a chance with each, but will be lucky to win each, also.

We will be good enough to beat all three on the right day, but not more talented than any of them.

We will have better chances next year all over again with each.

Chan's program is getting stronger and stronger. D-1 football success desn't happen over night. He's turning around a cruise ship in the ocean, not a go-cart in the dirt. The program was already in decline beofre he took over, it continued down afterward, flattened out, and clearly has begun to rise for quite a while here.

It's about to get 'so' good that you won't have anything to complain about, which should equate to rough times for some.

How can you have such an great, traditional, Tech Handle like "Toe Meets Leather," and still be such a pessimist?

Even if we did stink, (which we don't) why talk about it until it happens? It's football. Enjoy the optimism of what's to come.

techfowl, I don't see that happening with 4 seniors in the starting lineup.

barrell o rum, i appreciate your candor , i simply dont have faith that we will ever be more than mediocre with gailey. it is not a personal attack, i just dont think we will compete for any acc championship with him at the helm. i hope i am wrong and we go undefeated. it was not intended to flame anyone, cant we just have a different opinion without being called osama bin laden.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely !! This team (which includes the coaches)needs all the support it can get until the last play of the last game of the upcoming season. Starting this negativity so early does nothing but undermine that support. I supported O'Leary during his first two crappy seasons (by the way he was 0 for 4 against UGAG teams before his first win). Gailey needs to be given the same opportunity as was O'Leary.

You're not OBL! Sorry for being harsh, if I was.

You can't even come up with a name like ToeMeetsLeather without being a real GT fan. I actually have name-envy.

I just can't see any reason to be anything but pumped untless things fall down. We have some big talent at a lot of positions, but lack experience.

Experience wins big games, but talent will win a few also.

Early struggles and late season triumphs. Mark my words.

Throw it in my face if I'm wrong. I don't know much, but I know football pretty well. I think we will have a great late season. If we get lucky early, we'll have a great season, period.

Clemson, Miami, and Maryland will be keys to the bowl games. I'll take my chances with UVA, VT, and UGA afterward.

Call me overly opitimistic, but it's just no fun to dread an entire off season.

Only a total mutiny level collapse would change

my mind based on one year. A bowl level season would be a success based on our current situation. I expect more but winning more than 7 games will come down to progress made by the players in the off-season which the NCAA prevents Gailey from fully controlling.

First, let me be another who has "name envy". You haved a great handle!!!

Second, I'm not so sure why you have so little confidence in Gailey. Granted he hasn't set the world on fire, bit OTOH he didn't let the ship sink last year during grade gate. Many fans on other boards (as well as many in the media) completely wrote us off last year. I heard some people saying that it would take us 5 years at a minimum to recover. Gailey kept the bowl streak alive (maybe barely, but he did). I think last year was an incredible job by him and his assistants. It gives me confidence that, given the right personnel, he can do some really good things here.

I might be proven wrong, but I think there is more evidence that he will get it done than there is evidence that he won't get it done.

JMHO.

I think it's an hone3st question he asked. Fact is, last year, we weren't supposed to win 7 games. We were supposed to win 4 or 5 games, but Gailey managed to get the team to winn7 which is a minor miracle in itself, especially with the schedule we had last year (at one point labelled 2nd hardest in the Nation).

Next year, we've got another tough schedule, but we lose 3 MAJOR pieces from the team: OL drops off from Reily and Dorsey gone, miss our playmaking WR in JSmith, and lose two top 3 round draft pick Linebackers in DSmith and Fox. That's alot.

If we win 6 games next year I will consider the year somewhat of a success. If we win 5 games, I'll be disappointed.
I expect us to lose to UGA next year: They have too much talent, and we're playing in their stadium, but I'd give anything for us to whup em!

Realistic Answer

I won't question Toe's motivations. Instead I will give him/her an honest answer.

The scenario is possible but not probably. Chan goes to the post-season everywhere he's had a team. Even with the short straw of inherited talent, he has found a way to get to the post-season.

Still, key injuries could happen. Truthfully we are one bus accident away from not winning a single game next year.

So, what if we win 5 or 6 games, losing to our rival?

Did Coach Gailey continue to build a sound foundation for the program like he has been building since he stepped on campus two short seasons ago? Did he comport himself with class and represent the school well? Did he squeeze the most success out of what he had to work with, as we are accustomed to him doing? Did the team stay unified behind him, promising "We got your back."? Did we go another season without a hint of scandal, or investigation that might lead to probation? Did we go another year without having to look at the police blotter to see who would suit up on Saturday? Is the next recruiting class stronger than the last one? Was Chan a strong contender for ACC COTY again?

If I could answer the above questions without a "No", I would gladly continue to support him as our coach, regardless of the record. I would be confident the wins would come in the fullness of time, and I would treasure the essense that sets us apart from the cow factories.

Just SUPPOSE....Bobby Bowden

Loses to Miami Again and fails to make the top 5 this year? Just suppose Chuck Amato loses 5 or 6 games without Rivers at QB this year? Just suppose Al Groh doesnt win more than 9 games this year with all the talent he has recruited? Just suppose Larry Coker fails to win the MNC this year like last year? Just suppose Friedgen lets GT beat him again this year? Just suppose Tommy Bowden cant beat FSU this year or fails to finally win an ACC title? Just suppose Ted Roof cant win more than 3 games this year?

You know Ive been reading the other ACC boards for awhile now and None of them have Crazy posters who constantly pose these type questions..ESPECIALLY Here in Preseason before the season ever starts..People on the other ACC boards are talking about constructive things about their programs and will wait till after the season begins before starting to question the Coach .That is how RIDICULOUS this post was!!!

Most every GT fan I talk to and hear on Stingtalk and The Hive are upbeat and positive about the direction our Football team is headed...Especially after the Death Sentence Ms.Moore put on us last year and What was arguably the best coaching job here at the Flats in sometime By Gailey to somehow win 7 games last year....Then some negative person who doesnt like him throws off this...So no...Im not just being paranoid....This post was Stupid and posted by an ADMITTED Gailey hater....Nothing more than to stir up s----...And to piss in every GT Fan's cornflakes....

Back