How much will an independent get if invited to the 12 playoff spots?

If the ACC champ is an auto invite for one of the 12 spots, then we need to win the ACC.

I don't want to win some sort of post season tournament to call us national champions if we don't win the ACC. öööö that. If we somehow lose to Pittsburgh or NC State and somehow got an invite and won, that would get a * in my brain.

If the ACC champ is an auto invite for one of the 12 spots, then we need to win the ACC.

I don't want to win some sort of post season tournament to call us national champions if we don't win the ACC. öööö that. If we somehow lose to Pittsburgh or NC State and somehow got an invite and won, that would get a * in my brain.
The only reason I’m slightly more OK with the idea of non conference champs winning the national title is due to unbalanced schedules without divisions. If we get stuck with a very hard conference schedule and 2 teams squeak by with 1 or no losses by skipping us that’s kinda lame. There are so many teams now not winning your conference isn’t a viable counterpoint because teams don’t play everyone in their conference. It helps the SEC and BIG TEN’s argument to have these mega conferences since everyone just assumes their teams are good.

The only reason I’m slightly more OK with the idea of non conference champs winning the national title is due to unbalanced schedules without divisions. If we get stuck with a very hard conference schedule and 2 teams squeak by with 1 or no losses by skipping us that’s kinda lame.
If we lose to UNC or Duke, we don't deserve a natty. That should be a rule

You think the playoff committee will put a one loss, non-conference champion GT in the playoffs?

You think the playoff committee will put a one loss, non-conference champion GT in the playoffs?
If we beat UGAg, Yes. Do I think we would have been in had we played a close game against Ole Miss, lost, beat UGAg and won the ACC, yes.

FSU being left out had everything to do with Travis being out and their replacement QB looking like a HS freshman in the game.

If we beat UGAg, Yes. Do I think we would have been in had we played a close game against Ole Miss, lost, beat UGAg and won the ACC, yes.

FSU being left out had everything to do with Travis being out and their replacement QB looking like a HS freshman in the game.
Their replacement quarterback didn’t play in the ACCCG either. He was to be back for the playoffs.

Their replacement quarterback didn’t play in the ACCCG either. He was to be back for the playoffs.
Only he quit. Face it. FSU ultimately was no better of a team than Duke once Travis left.

Only he quit. Face it. FSU ultimately was no better of a team than Duke once Travis left.
He quit after they got ööööed by the playoff committee. He would have played if they were selected.

He quit after they got ööööed by the playoff committee. He would have played if they were selected.
Waaaaaa.....something bad happened, I'm gonna quit. Waaaaa......

For him specifically, he transferred out after the team started publicly recruiting new QBs for next season, basically saying he wouldn't have a starting job.

I would too at that point, if the team doesn't want you in their future then you need to look out for your own future.

IMG_4896.jpeg

Bowl record of those 4 teams that year:
Mississippi state lost to GT, 49-35
Alabama lost to Ohio State, 42-35
Auburn lost to Wisconsin, 34-31
Ole Miss lost to TCU, 42-3
I seem to remember LSU also lost a bowl game that year. SEC west was 0-5 in bowls after all the ESPN hype about how strong that division was.

We would not have been in this season. Started the season too low. I’m telling you they would’ve used Bowers and the Travis + Rodemaker injury being out when we played UGA and FSU as the excuse. An SEC team was getting in and our ACC schedule was ass. Plus in your scenario we lost to Ole Miss and Bama obliterated them.

and most of the college football world would’ve agreed.

Back