Haynes King

I didn't see the game but amazing that there were posters who were actually complaining about the offense in the post game threads.

I know who to ignore going forward.

The O scored 3 in the first half, that is worth complaining about. They also stunk the first part of the 3rd quarter. The O is a work in progress that shows some very bright moments.

The D seems to roll out good game plans, but fails to make adjustments.

The O scored 3 in the first half, that is worth complaining about. They also stunk the first part of the 3rd quarter. The O is a work in progress that shows some very bright moments.

The D seems to roll out good game plans, but fails to make adjustments.

Gee, you mean they're not perfect every minute of the game? Well, then they should be more like...wait...I can't think of a single team that doesn't have lapses.

We're 14th in the nation in total offense and you've already seen the stats on King.

Gee, you mean they're not perfect every minute of the game? Well, then they should be more like...wait...I can't think of a single team that doesn't have lapses.

We're 14th in the nation in total offense and you've already seen the stats on King.
Ole Miss scored 10 in the first half and scored 38 in the second half. OMG! The sky is falling! Last Thanksgiving UGAg scored 10 in the first half and scored 27 in the second. OMG! The sky is falling!!!

The O scored 3 in the first half, that is worth complaining about.

The offense is fine. We had 3, count 'em 3, first half drives. Shortest one was 12 plays, 50 yards, and ended with a missed 42-yard FG. Second one ended on the 2 yard line with some questionable play calling and the 3rd one went for 90 yards and ended with a FG. See below. I think the offense is just fine. Special teams, not so much.

1695136676760.png

Then why were you surprised people were complaining in the post game thread? The O didn’t kick in until we were down 24-3. Much like the UL game, they got white hot for 15 minutes. Outside of that they racked up yards not points.

There is a lot of reasons to expect great things from the offense. Scoring 3 pts in 40 minutes will get you some negative mentions in the post game.

Then why were you surprised people were complaining in the post game thread? The O didn’t kick in until we were down 24-3. Much like the UL game, they got white hot for 15 minutes. Outside of that they racked up yards not points.

There is a lot of reasons to expect great things from the offense. Scoring 3 pts in 40 minutes will get you some negative mentions in the post game.
Tech had 40 minutes TOP last Saturday night and scored 23 points. Parts of the scoring issue were missed FG's, going on 4th down to avoid missing more, and a couple of drops in the EZ. The O moved the ball fine, it just didn't finish well a couple of drives that would have added at least 14 more to the score. Key himself said they left a lot of points on the field.

Tech had 40 minutes TOP last Saturday night and scored 23 points. Parts of the scoring issue were missed FG's, going on 4th down to avoid missing more, and a couple of drops in the EZ. The O moved the ball fine, it just didn't finish well a couple of drives that would have added at least 14 more to the score. Key himself said they left a lot of points on the field.

I am very positive on the O. In the in game thread i said we need to open the checkbook for CBF. We are a year away from a blowtorch offense (maybe sooner).

Can’t he be positive and complain at the same time?

Odd that he didn't mention it the first time, but only after his complaint was pointed out to be without basis in reality.

Odd that he didn't mention it the first time, but only after his complaint was pointed out to be without basis in reality.
That’s unacceptable. You want me to ban him?

Haynes King is a very good collegiate QB. It's painful to think of the dropped balls this season that are the difference between 1-2 and 3-0. I have a really good feeling about the Wake game.

From my other posts, it is obvious I am optimistic on the O. My post was in response to ’why were people complaining about the O in the post game’. The answer is, there were things to complain about. That doesn’t mean they aren’t fixable.

At halftime, there was reason to praise the defense. The offense was churning up yards but not points. So there would be reason to be hopeful and disappointed.

From my other posts, it is obvious I am optimistic on the O. My post was in response to ’why were people complaining about the O in the post game’. The answer is, there were things to complain about. That doesn’t mean they aren’t fixable.

At halftime, there was reason to praise the defense. The offense was churning up yards but not points. So there would be reason to be hopeful and disappointed.

It's really just that the issues the offense does have get concentrated in a way and overshadow the positives somewhat. The second quarter of the Louisville game was great, but the second half was very much not and then you have the missed points in the Ole Miss game.

It's also less about the offensive structure in general and more about the execution and decision-making from above that will get the most scrutiny (did we play overly conservative in the second half of Louisville? did we have poor play calls in the red zone against Ole miss? that sort of thing).

It's really just that the issues the offense does have get concentrated in a way and overshadow the positives somewhat. The second quarter of the Louisville game was great, but the second half was very much not and then you have the missed points in the Ole Miss game.

It's also less about the offensive structure in general and more about the execution and decision-making from above that will get the most scrutiny (did we play overly conservative in the second half of Louisville? did we have poor play calls in the red zone against Ole miss? that sort of thing).

I think our RZ offense is hampered by our RB size and our OL inability to get a push. Our O needs space to operate. So we are very similar to Leach’s air raid. I also think those two things are why we haven’t seen an I-formation play yet. I think we have only run one under center play, iirc. That was a qb keeper for a yard. But maybe I am mixing up teams.

The O will work itself out. This is game 3 of the scheme. The D is another story. We have players who know that scheme.

There are different levels and types of complaints about the offense in the Ole Miss game. We moved the ball at will but couldn't finish drives in the first half. Encouraging but frustrating.

We came out in the second half and stalled out a couple of times when we really had a chance to get back into the game, which is not encouraging.

We got it going again late, but by that point the defense was collapsing and put the game out of reach. Bigger frustration there was with the defense. A combination of injuries, wearing down (although we weren't on the field much in the first half), and I guess scheme or player mistakes made the final score look much worse than it really deserved to be.

Overall I'm encouraged that the offense looks pretty dynamic at times, but we need to finish and need to be a little more consistent. And we need to find some help for Haynes, who seemed to open the game getting every touch at RB and catching our first few passes.

JRjr

Back