Do you think these viewership numbers are accurate?

Indeed, and the prime channels and game times are given to teams with the most viewers. We've cracked this case.

So you're saying that had we been the ABC noon game instead of the Bally Sports noon game we would have had more viewers??

So you're saying that had we been the ABC noon game instead of the Bally Sports noon game we would have had more viewers??
not saying anything of the sot, but even if I did to have a opinion, whom cares, I'm an imbelice who doesn't kno anything ways

Yes, you get more views at the prime time slots on the best networks. Yes, you earn those spots by winning. The list changes over time. The Gators and Badgers need to shape up or they will fall off that list. Auburn, too. Even Clemson. Miami used to be near the top of that list with Nebraska in the nineties. Win and keep winning and great things happen.

CBS helped the SEC more than the SEC will admit. Getting a CBS 3:30 time slot on a network where they never tried to get every team on TV made SEC must see TV - LSU-Bama, Dawgs -Gators, the Iron Bowl, Bama- Tennessee, LSU- Florida, Georgia- Auburn. Then, ESPN saw how their brand appeal had been developed and put the second and third best SEC games on TV Saturday night and game days flocked to SEC sites.

We all know beating uga is tough. Nobody’s acting like a season where we don’t beat uga but win the ACC or win 8 or 9 games is a failure. But we want to beat them and beat them to oblivion because it’s part of our fandom. This is the second time i noticed you’re trying to bait people into argument with your I’m smarter than you attitude. Which is fine for the average Tech fan, we all have some of that, but you’re picking the wrong hills to die on.
And I fully agree with you on beating them. The part that seems to be overlooked (to me personally) is, it doesn’t make or break the season. To some it does. And that’s perfectly fine if that’s the case. Whether it’s because I’m a sidewalk fan vs alum, could very well be the reason.

What I can tell you is my mindset at 43 is much different vs 13, 23, 33. While losing games regardless of who GT was playing would wreck my night when I was younger, now while it sucks to lose, doesn't make an impact. Which is why you’ll never see me criticize a player or current HC. They are doing the best they can to be 1-0 each and every week.

I thought the previous hire was a massive disaster the day the news broke, and when GT lost to The Citadel, I couldn’t watch the previous HC destroy the program any longer. So until the decision was made to move on from him, I would just monitor from a distance not watching many games where it felt like you already knew the outcome. Was it easy to do? Hell no. To see the program a constant winner from the time I was 16 through pretty much 2018 made the fall unbearable to watch for the most part.

But to ignore the tiers of CFB right now is hard to do. While 2023 was the best season nationally, we’ll see if it was a blip or a trend. And while GT has the arrow definitely pointing in the right direction, I still think there is a long way to go. 7-6 was a great season. Looking at the 2024 schedule, 7-5 with a chance at an 8th win to me is another great season. 2025 is the year I think will show CBK’s full impact on the program.

We all know beating uga is tough. Nobody’s acting like a season where we don’t beat uga but win the ACC or win 8 or 9 games is a failure. But we want to beat them and beat them to oblivion because it’s part of our fandom. This is the second time i noticed you’re trying to bait people into argument with your I’m smarter than you attitude. Which is fine for the average Tech fan, we all have some of that, but you’re picking the wrong hills to die on.
This is not moderator advice. It’s time for him to be buried on that effing hill. These self hating mutt fellating douchers need to be crushed.

IMG_0792.jpeg
What? Where is Texas A&M, where is Arkansas, where is Ole Miss, MSU, kY, SC, Vandy? The SEC must not be so special.

This new paradigm with NIL and an open portal aren't going to level out this graphic any either. Some of the top teams may move around; but I suspect that middle chunk will continue to slip down.

Nothing wrong with the distribution of viewership. Some teams can be much more popular than others, it's fine. We don't need the boring homogeneity of the NFL.

The thing about Clemson is they really aren't a huge school, and they are in a small, mostly rural state, maybe a lot of people watch them because they got good and stayed that way for a long time? It would be interesting to see how their ratings were before Dabo turned them around.

Nothing wrong with the distribution of viewership. Some teams can be much more popular than others, it's fine. We don't need the boring homogeneity of the NFL.
We will when the top teams decide to consolidate and cut the dead weight.

Yes, you get more views at the prime time slots on the best networks. Yes, you earn those spots by winning. The list changes over time. The Gators and Badgers need to shape up or they will fall off that list. Auburn, too. Even Clemson. Miami used to be near the top of that list with Nebraska in the nineties. Win and keep winning and great things happen.

CBS helped the SEC more than the SEC will admit. Getting a CBS 3:30 time slot on a network where they never tried to get every team on TV made SEC must see TV - LSU-Bama, Dawgs -Gators, the Iron Bowl, Bama- Tennessee, LSU- Florida, Georgia- Auburn. Then, ESPN saw how their brand appeal had been developed and put the second and third best SEC games on TV Saturday night and game days flocked to SEC sites.
"You earn those spots by winning" is a bold statement nowadays. Maybe it worked that way at one point, but likely now it would require more winning to get there consistently regardless of opponent than you can sustain without already being there.

For an extension of the debate on influence of who gets picked for prime channels/times, anyone thinks these kind of numbers would stay the same if those 71 schools were dropped to a completely different competition system (FCS 2.0 or w/e)? To me that is the question: how many teams creating that upper chunk are fans of the teams who would watch them on any channel vs people who will watch them cause they are on while the team they are a fan of is not?
Then how many of those fans of other teams keep watching even if it becomes completely unrelated through a division split?

We are about to see long term if there is anything wrong with it. I am beginning to prefer the NFL model where every team has chance to the college model.

We are about to see long term if there is anything wrong with it. I am beginning to prefer the NFL model where every team has chance to the college model.
I think the problem for fair competition is the ability to buy players, not the unequal TV viewership. Pre-NIL, the unequal fanbases weren't a problem.

I think the problem for fair competition is the ability to buy players, not the unequal TV viewership. Pre-NIL, the unequal fanbases weren't a problem.

The playing field is slanted even more now than it was prior to NIL and the portal. The imbalance in TV contracts, imbalance in time slots, imbalance in networks; all impact the ability to buy players; they are not isolated.

The playing field is slanted even more now than it was prior to NIL and the portal. The imbalance in TV contracts, imbalance in time slots, imbalance in networks; all impact the ability to buy players; they are not isolated.

I think NIL will change the playing field, but not necessarily in the favor of the big conferences. SMU will be the test case. That school is now free to pay players whatever they want. No need to have nice facilities.

If he wanted, Bezos could turn Seattle Technical College into a national powerhouse if he wanted.

This new paradigm with NIL and an open portal aren't going to level out this graphic any either. Some of the top teams may move around; but I suspect that middle chunk will continue to slip down.
These numbers are in vacuum, and in that sense, they are meaningless. The math still doesn’t work out those numbers alone translate into $50-$70M per year FSU needs to justify to get an invite from Big or SEC in their current form. That ain’t happening.

If people are watching to see the big name teams how does it make sense to only have those teams face reach other? There will be more eyeballs ($$$) overall if those teams play other less watched teams a significant number of games.

Back