CPJ has one year Wanted UT job

Pretty good look, TIA. And what it tells me is that there is no obvious replacement candidate for CPJ. I'm sure some of those guys might work out just fine. But nobody on that list jumps out at me — the way CPJ did when we were last looking.

http://thewhiteandgold.com/georgia-techs-football-challenge-turns-p1063-250.htm

The numbers also show that Tech, under Johnson, has broken out more than the other guys since Dodd stepped down.

It’s worth noting that Dodd, who put a pretty good product on the field from 1945-1966, averaged 7.5 victories a season during his 22 years (10-game schedule). During his 10 seasons at Tech, Johnson also has averaged 7.5 victories per season (12-game schedule).

Under Johnson, Tech has won an ACC title (I know), played in two other ACC title games and played in two Orange Bowls. He has been named ACC coach of the year three times.

So for the youth who want to win big now and for the elders who pine for Dodd’s glory years, I bring you this somber, history-based thought.

Maybe, just maybe, we are in the midst of another set of glory years for Georgia Tech football.

And we just don’t know it.

At some point in time, CPJ needs to realize that motivating players is one of his job responsibilities. That and player development are my biggest gripes. You look at schools like Bama and Clemson bringing in psychologists to improve the team's motivation. That's where we are in the modern era. Brainwash our team into having a winning attitude, CPJ!!! Bring in a freaking hypnotist if you have to!!!

I can't handle talking football on stingtalk, I'll be the first to admit it.
Here is the thing that sticks out to me about PJ: when you coach at a school with more rigorous academics, the last thing you want to be viewed as being is a prick. He really doesn’t endear himself to anyone. And his mantra of telling a kid if he takes other visits after he commits is ridiculous. Kids who are committed to Bama, Ohio St, Ga, FSU, etc. don’t get that put on them....PJ doesn’t have that luxury.

I still maintain that there are a lot of talented players in the metro area that absolutely can handle Tech’s academics but don’t really consider it partly because of the system he runs, and partly because of the coach.

Someone mentioned Bobby Ross. He was one who took the positives about Tech into recruiting, and sold it to recruits.

I like how he just glances over the difference between 7.5 wins in a 10 game season and 7.5 wins in a 12 game season.

Yeah that guy is the epitome of the IIWII CPJ fanclub:

"Maybe, just maybe, we are in the midst of another set of glory years for Georgia Tech football.

And we just don’t know it."

Jesus - losing seasons 30% of the time is a "set of glory years" to this cat? Losing 3 of 4 to Puke is "glory years"?

Yeah that guy is the epitome of the IIWII CPJ fanclub:

"Maybe, just maybe, we are in the midst of another set of glory years for Georgia Tech football.

And we just don’t know it."

Jesus - losing seasons 30% of the time is a "set of glory years" to this cat? Losing 3 of 4 to Puke is "glory years"?
I think he is the same guy who compares PJ favorably to Dodd. That is beyond laughable

No, I'm fine with firing Johnson but don't whine when we have to hire a G5 coach or a NFL retread. Y'all need to accept Tech's place in college football. It's not a desirable place to be.
Welcome back Coach Braine!

I think part of the issue is that a lot of people want to think of Tech football as a family. Where you accept the good and the bad and forgive and forget. But others want to strive for excellence or at least improvement. I like CPJ, he accomplished some great things, but 10 years is long enough. I'd be happy to explore getting a Godsey back in here to try something different if CPJ cant be coaxed to improve and up his game. Hell, he's almost as old as I am.

Everyone around us is basically semi-pro.

If you want to compete with that, step one is to go private. There is no other path.

How is this known to be true?

By having flexibility to add other majors / courses?

How does anyone know that the Hill Nerds would not make things worse under that scenario?

It looks like the CPJ haters are having their annual delusional cry-fest. If only we didn't run CPJ's offense, we'd be Alabama!

OwUAZHZ.gif

Missed that post. Who posted that?

I think he is the same guy who compares PJ favorably to Dodd. That is beyond laughable
Dodd's glory years were the early-to-mid '50s. I was at Tech for the '58 - 61 seasons. There was plenty of grumbling about Dodd then. Dodd's offense was incredibly predictable, and our record was mediocre:
1958 5-4-1 (UGA L) [SEC Champ Auburn]
1959 6-5 (UGA L, Bowl L) [SEC LSU]
1960 5-5 (UGA L) [SEC UGA]
1961 7-4 (UGA W, Bowl L) [SEC Ole Miss]
We were coasting, and Bear was beginning to build a powerhouse. Bobby Dodd was a fine man and a good coach, but his last decade at Tech was not great, with the exception of his last year, 1966. As AD, his decision to leave the SEC was questionable.

C7DDA03A-4A34-4172-B486-A4CB703A3EF3.png
Dodd's glory years were the early-to-mid '50s. I was at Tech for the '58 - 61 seasons. There was plenty of grumbling about Dodd then. Dodd's offense was incredibly predictable, and our record was mediocre:
1958 5-4-1 (UGA L) [SEC Champ Auburn]
1959 6-5 (UGA L, Bowl L) [SEC LSU]
1960 5-5 (UGA L) [SEC UGA]
1961 7-4 (UGA W, Bowl L) [SEC Ole Miss]
We were coasting, and Bear was beginning to build a powerhouse. Bobby Dodd was a fine man and a good coach, but his last decade at Tech was not great, with the exception of his last year, 1966. As AD, his decision to leave the SEC was questionable.

Here is the thing that sticks out to me about PJ: when you coach at a school with more rigorous academics, the last thing you want to be viewed as being is a prick. He really doesn’t endear himself to anyone. And his mantra of telling a kid if he takes other visits after he commits is ridiculous. Kids who are committed to Bama, Ohio St, Ga, FSU, etc. don’t get that put on them....PJ doesn’t have that luxury.

I still maintain that there are a lot of talented players in the metro area that absolutely can handle Tech’s academics but don’t really consider it partly because of the system he runs, and partly because of the coach.

Someone mentioned Bobby Ross. He was one who took the positives about Tech into recruiting, and sold it to recruits.

In a perfect world, I'd prefer CPJ be less prickly. However, some of these criticisms are just unfair. When a committed kid takes other visits, he doesn't stop recruiting them, necessarily. However, their spot is no longer guaranteed. You'd rather he hold scholarships for guys who are probably going to flip? I'm pretty sure he already gets enough criticism for not signing full classes as it is. This is actually something he's talked about working on. (He filled all the schollies with this class).

In a perfect world, I'd prefer CPJ be less prickly. However, some of these criticisms are just unfair. When a committed kid takes other visits, he doesn't stop recruiting them, necessarily. However, their spot is no longer guaranteed. You'd rather he hold scholarships for guys who are probably going to flip? I'm pretty sure he already gets enough criticism for not signing full classes as it is. This is actually something he's talked about working on. (He filled all the schollies with this class).
Agreed. This criticism makes no sense. When kids aren't committed to you, why would you guarantee them a spot... only to find out on signing day that their fax never comes in, and suddenly you're scrambling because the other kids you liked took other spots elsewhere. We pull plenty of 'tweeners from FCS schools already. And I've never heard any recruit complain about it except the ones that were using us as a safety school anyhow.

Pretty good look, TIA. And what it tells me is that there is no obvious replacement candidate for CPJ. I'm sure some of those guys might work out just fine. But nobody on that list jumps out at me — the way CPJ did when we were last looking.
One name. LANE KIFFIN

Back