Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

Sooo... major CFB content buyer ESPN is a sinking ship chained to a much bigger sinking ship (Disney) both of which are scrambling for cash and having fire sales, mass firings and hemorrhaging loyal consumers but somehow we are to believe that the giant buyouts, whatever they may be, will be chump change compared to what they can command in new 20+ team conferences with weakening regional appeal?

These programs are taking a HUGE risk if this is serious at all. This is Tulip Mania.

Google (YouTubeTV), Amazon, or Apple are the only parties even remotely capable of bailing all of this out when the music stops. I doubt they would touch any of this without waiting for bankruptcy to slash prices.

Sooo... major CFB content buyer ESPN is a sinking ship chained to a much bigger sinking ship (Disney) both of which are scrambling for cash and having fire sales, mass firings and hemorrhaging loyal consumers but somehow we are to believe that the giant buyouts, whatever they may be, will be chump change compared to what they can command in new 20+ team conferences with weakening regional appeal?

These programs are taking a HUGE risk if this is serious at all. This is Tulip Mania.

Google (YouTubeTV), Amazon, or Apple are the only parties even remotely capable of bailing all of this out when the music stops. I doubt they would touch any of this without waiting for bankruptcy to slash prices.
Apple probably has the most to gain. Google is struggling to keep cost down to stay competitive with cable. Everyone already has Amazon Prime. Apple has room to bring in new subscribers and recently used this strategy with MLS.

Apple probably has the most to gain. Google is struggling to keep cost down to stay competitive with cable. Everyone already has Amazon Prime. Apple has room to bring in new subscribers and recently used this strategy with MLS.
I suppose any of the 3 are possible but I think YouTubeTV is the most likely candidate. Google/YouTubeTV has already shown they are willing to lose money to gain market share. They overpaid for NFL Sunday Ticket and aren't afraid to burn cash. DirecTV reportedly lost $500M/year w/ NFL Sunday Ticket and YouTubeTV will be paying a lot more than DirecTV did.

I suspect they are willing to subsidize the cost to keep the subscription fees down in order to grow market share in subscribers. They are also uniquely positioned in understanding the advertising side of things and monitizing eyeballs having done it for many years on Google and YouTube. They very likely could stream targeted custom advertising to each viewer based on the wealth of data they already have on everyone. That kind of targeted advertising would likely command a premium.

I still contend it's a losing proposition. Every network attached to these overpriced sports broadcast rights deals has lost their a$$ and I don't think it will be any different over time for Google/YouTubeTV.

All just speculation at this point. A lot of things still need to happen but things move fast these days.

I suppose any of the 3 are possible but I think YouTubeTV is the most likely candidate. Google/YouTubeTV has already shown they are willing to lose money to gain market share. They overpaid for NFL Sunday Ticket and aren't afraid to burn cash. DirecTV reportedly lost $500M/year w/ NFL Sunday Ticket and YouTubeTV will be paying a lot more than DirecTV did.

I suspect they are willing to subsidize the cost to keep the subscription fees down in order to grow market share in subscribers. They are also uniquely positioned in understanding the advertising side of things and monitizing eyeballs having done it for many years on Google and YouTube. They very likely could stream targeted custom advertising to each viewer based on the wealth of data they already have on everyone. That kind of targeted advertising would likely command a premium.

I still contend it's a losing proposition. Every network attached to these overpriced sports broadcast rights deals has lost their a$$ and I don't think it will be any different over time for Google/YouTubeTV.

All just speculation at this point. A lot of things still need to happen but things move fast these days.

YouTubeTV has gone from $59.99 to $72.99 in the past two years and added no content that brought any value to my viewing experience. They are acting exactly like a cable TV provider - only a matter of time before their pricing reaches that level.

Reactions: odw
1690761386680.jpeg

If they do leave, money is nothing and your checks for free.

I am tired of hearing FSU and Clemson talk about how they're trapped in the ACC, and that the SEC and the Big 10 would be in a bidding war for them if they weren't stuck in the ACC. I think the ACC should announce that every member school has one hour to leave the ACC with no penalty, but if they leave, they won't ever be allowed to return and no ACC team will ever play them again in the regular season. I don't think any ACC school would go anywhere. But, if either the Big 10 or the SEC invited any ACC team within that hour, I think it would be the Big 10 inviting Georgia Tech. In the end, academics, market size, and transportation convenience would be the deciding factors. I think Tech is much more attractive to the Big 10 than any other ACC team, and I don't think even the SEC would have anything to gain from FSU or Clemson. The so called experts and a lot of regular fans will be shocked to find these things out, when the time comes.

I am tired of hearing FSU and Clemson talk about how they're trapped in the ACC, and that the SEC and the Big 10 would be in a bidding war for them if they weren't stuck in the ACC. I think the ACC should announce that every member school has one hour to leave the ACC with no penalty, but if they leave, they won't ever be allowed to return and no ACC team will ever play them again in the regular season. I don't think any ACC school would go anywhere. But, if either the Big 10 or the SEC invited any ACC team within that hour, I think it would be the Big 10 inviting Georgia Tech. In the end, academics, market size, and transportation convenience would be the deciding factors. I think Tech is much more attractive to the Big 10 than any other ACC team, and I don't think even the SEC would have anything to gain from FSU or Clemson. The so called experts and a lot of regular fans will be shocked to find these things out, when the time comes.
I'll have what he's having, please.

How’s the weather in alternate reality land? Do you really think “academics” matters anymore? They’re racing each other to the top or bottom, not sure which. FSU and Clemson would absolutely be gone in the hour. SEC’s draw to them is to keep them out of the BIG. And vice versa. Lol at the academics. Tech maybe get to the BIG, but not the hot ticket item you think.

These extra services are unsustainable IMO. Who the hell wants to pay 10 different streaming services for content for the small slice of content that is worth watching? At some point there is going to be massive consolidation in this space and I think anyone who hitches their wagon to a streaming service will suffer. Like it or not, ESPN is still the dominant player. Take your content somewhere else and you will become even more irrelevant. The NHL fell off the map 20 years ago when they left ESPN. Not a perfect comparison as times have changed, but to stay relevant you have to be in the sports landscape conversation and jumping to some 2nd rate streaming service will quickly get you hidden from view.

I don’t get why UGA, Bama, Ohio State, Texas, Clemson, FSU, Florida, ND, USC, etc. don’t form a 16 team conference, demand 95% of the TV money and tell the Northwesterns, Vanderbilts and Wake Forests of the world to buzz off.

Back