Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

And the results on the field show one program folding like a wet blanket finishing 1-8, 4-8 after that epic win over mighty TCU (5-7), while the other went to and won a bowl game with Vegas giving an O/U of 4.5 with that “safe” hire.

You can spin it however you want, but you cannot sustain success the way Deion is running things. Bringing in a whole new OL, only to blame the OL for the failures. Demoting a solid OC, to let your son make all the decisions worked out real well didn’t it? And to top it off, the 2 elite players he signed in 2023, both have left and didn’t have a lot of good things to say on the way out. Oh and let’s not forget, Colorado had the worst 2024 HS recruiting class in the new P4.

But by all means, continue acting like what he’s doing will translate into anything more than 5-7, 6-6 seasons max in the B12. And in all reality, this will be his last year in Boulder anyway.
I'm not saying he will succeed at all as a coach. He might, I would not bet on it. This is 100% a financial move resurrecting a program that was dead before he showed up.

I'm not saying he will succeed at all as a coach. He might, I would not bet on it. This is 100% a financial move resurrecting a program that was dead before he showed up.
The financial impact will lessen significantly as CU continues to lose. The financial win looks to be short-term. Look at what happened last year once Colorado finally played real competition. Not to mention the Stanford collapse, and the team quitting on the field in the 1st half at Wazzou. Fox quickly moved on from featuring them at 12, 3:30, instead they were playing on P12N or late night FS1 / ESPN. The 1st 2 games will set the tone for the season vs FCS powerhouse NDSU and @ Nebraska.

I remember Saban saying he was staying at the Dolphins. In fact, he directly said "I'm not going to be Alabama's coach"

Deion could have changed his mind 10 seconds after making the statement. He doesn't impress me as a guy who would want the stress of CFB at a place like Colorado without his spawn there.

He said he had a mission to elevate HBCU's too before bolting (and bringing half the roster to Boulder).

You guys are dicks. This man was my childhood hero. I refuse to listen to anything negative about him. Also, Jordan was "sick" in that one game, and he chose to play baseball and wasn't suspended for gambling or anything like that.

I could see ego keeping him at Colorado. He wouldn't like going out on two losing seasons and being perceived as a loser

You guys are dicks. This man was my childhood hero. I refuse to listen to anything negative about him. Also, Jordan was "sick" in that one game, and he chose to play baseball and wasn't suspended for gambling or anything like that.
The hell does this have to do with anything? MJ 100% had food poisoning against Utah. And everyone knows MJ was secretly suspended for gambling. Who is denying it? Now onto the real topic….

Doesn’t take away from the fact that the way Deion is supposedly building a program, isn’t going to work. Last years collapse was proof of that. It wasn’t just losing to teams they were supposed to lose to (USC, Oregon, UCLA, Utah, etc) it was giving up a historic meltdown against a BAD Stanford team, followed by getting absolutely destroyed by a Wazzou team on a 6 game losing streak 56-14.

Off the field the following happened.

1. Threw the OL he recruited under the bus for the collapse.
2. Worst 2024 P4 HS Recruiting class in the nation (10 total signees).
3. Mass exodus of previous Portal players who started and the couple of high level 4-5* HS players signed from 2023, in addition to instant starters in 5* DB McClain, 4* RB Edwards.

So you really think a program can stabilize along the LOS when you’re constantly seeing players come and go after 1 year?

Very good overall recap of another offseason with a lot of roster movement.

Wow....your hero. That's sad.

He threw water on Tim McCarver and nearly electrocuted him, that should have been a warning sign for you

He threw water on Tim McCarver and nearly electrocuted him, that should have been a warning sign for you
So they sent Tim Carver into a situation where they knew champagne would be getting dumped on everyone with a microphone that could electrocute him?

Brutal.

CU financial reports are online and debunk the claims made in media.

You can drill down all you want but here's the simple top line:
Football Revenue Expenses Profit
2021 $17.2M $17.5M ($0.3M)
2022 $49.1M $25.5M $23.6M
2023 $50.1M $35.0M $15.1M

Football ticket sales were down from $16.6M in 2022 to $13.0M in 2023
Expenses up due to $7M severance paid to the coaches fired to hire Deion

The $90M advertising number was an estimate by a third party firm of the value of extra mentions CU got on ESPN, etc. due to Deion. No actual revenue was received by CU for this. Royalties, Licensing, Advertising & Sponsorship revenue at the CU level (they do not break out by sport) has been $7.5M, $5.9M, $6.7M in 2021, 2022, 2023.

The Deion revenue bump is roughly $17M in ticket sales/concessions/parking and $6M in contributions from 2021 levels, partially offset by a $5M increase in coaching salaries. The bulk of the rest of the revenue increases came from conference TV rights and bowl game payouts.

Time will tell whether CU can hold on to the revenue gains post-Deion. If Deion leaves with a big severance package, that will burden the program going forward.
This is making me very confused about what year it currently is.

The hell does this have to do with anything? MJ 100% had food poisoning against Utah. And everyone knows MJ was secretly suspended for gambling. Who is denying it? Now onto the real topic….

Doesn’t take away from the fact that the way Deion is supposedly building a program, isn’t going to work. Last years collapse was proof of that. It wasn’t just losing to teams they were supposed to lose to (USC, Oregon, UCLA, Utah, etc) it was giving up a historic meltdown against a BAD Stanford team, followed by getting absolutely destroyed by a Wazzou team on a 6 game losing streak 56-14.

Off the field the following happened.

1. Threw the OL he recruited under the bus for the collapse.
2. Worst 2024 P4 HS Recruiting class in the nation (10 total signees).
3. Mass exodus of previous Portal players who started and the couple of high level 4-5* HS players signed from 2023, in addition to instant starters in 5* DB McClain, 4* RB Edwards.

So you really think a program can stabilize along the LOS when you’re constantly seeing players come and go after 1 year?

Very good overall recap of another offseason with a lot of roster movement.

Food poisoning, yeah right. I know a bad hangover when I see one. Maybe I didn't know it when I was 10, but I know it in my 40s.

“Deion and his son were given access for their own media content.

There was nowhere to hide. Cameras followed the team around constantly for Sanders’ Amazon documentary series and his son’s Well Off Media YouTube channel.
“It kinda felt like a reality TV show,” Sowell said.
"Cut" players lost access to the facilities immediately.

The following morning, Sowell said, players were locked out of Colorado’s football facility. They couldn’t grab their things from the locker room. They couldn’t grab a meal at the training table.
“In our O-line group chat, one of the offensive line coaches texted the group and said, ‘Good luck fellas,’” Wiley said, “and then he just removed all of them. It said these five people were removed from the chat. We were like, ‘Huh? What happened?’”
Deion compared the Transfer Portal to Room Service

“I can order what I want,” Sanders said.

FY21 started 07/01/2020?

It's acceptable accounting practice if you have a seasonal business to have your fiscal year offset from the calendar year. Usually if this is done the FY number will be the calendar year the annual accounting period ends.

Since football is the main revenue generator for college sports if you run your accounting on a calendar year basis you will likely show big losses in Q1-Q2 as you are paying salaries, etc. but not selling many tickets, collecting concessions, selling merchandise, etc. Running a July-Jun FY smooths out the P&L on a quarterly reporting basis. I don't know when the bulk of TV rights money comes in, but conference bowl money likely doesn't get distributed to teams until Q2.

Back