Catchall Deion Sanders Thread

It's acceptable accounting practice if you have a seasonal business to have your fiscal year offset from the calendar year. Usually if this is done the FY number will be the calendar year the annual accounting period ends.

Since football is the main revenue generator for college sports if you run your accounting on a calendar year basis you will likely show big losses in Q1-Q2 as you are paying salaries, etc. but not selling many tickets, collecting concessions, selling merchandise, etc. Running a July-Jun FY smooths out the P&L on a quarterly reporting basis. I don't know when the bulk of TV rights money comes in, but conference bowl money likely doesn't get distributed to teams until Q2.
So Deion's ticket sales numbers would be on FY24. FY21 was covid when there was practically no tickets sales revenue. FY22 and FY23 were getting back to normal after covid. I'm confused why you are crediting Deion for ticket sales for post covid return to normal before Deion was even at Colorado.

So Deion's ticket sales numbers would be on FY24. FY21 was covid when there was practically no tickets sales revenue. FY22 and FY23 were getting back to normal after covid. I'm confused why you are crediting Deion for ticket sales for post covid return to normal before Deion was even at Colorado.

Where do you see that the CU NCAA report is on a July-June FY? NCAA reports are due in by 1/15. Submission can be on FY or CY basis but you have to remain consistent YoY. NCAA verifies W-2 information on a CY basis. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/finance/NCAAFIN_FAQs.pdf

And, to be clear, I am in agreement that Deion has not lifted the financials as much as the media has promoted. Trying to show facts instead of marketing announcements.

Where do you see that the CU NCAA report is on a July-June FY? NCAA reports are due in by 1/15. Submission can be on FY or CY basis but you have to remain consistent YoY. NCAA verifies W-2 information on a CY basis. https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/finance/NCAAFIN_FAQs.pdf

And, to be clear, I am in agreement that Deion has not lifted the financials as much as the media has promoted. Trying to show facts instead of marketing announcements.
I didn't see it anywhere. I think most states use July-June so I was just guessing. Looking at ticket sales tells me 100% they aren't doing CY.

Ticket sales:
2020: 17M
2021: 47K
2022: 19M
2023: 15M

The only explanation for 2021 would be covid, which means they aren't using CY. My point is that we don't have the numbers for Deion yet. We will need the FY24 report.

I didn't see it anywhere. I think most states use July-June so I was just guessing. Looking at ticket sales tells me 100% they aren't doing CY.

Ticket sales:
2020: 17M
2021: 47K
2022: 19M
2023: 15M

The only explanation for 2021 would be covid, which means they aren't using CY. My point is that we don't have the numbers for Deion yet. We will need the FY24 report.

If you are correct, then the latest report covered from July 2022-June 2023. Deion was hired in Dec 2022 so it would include any end of 2022 bump in ticket sales/contributions as well as the new salaries for him and the assistant coaches plus 2023 Spring game and 2023 season pre-sales.

If on a CY basis it's possible that some of the 2022 increase happened in December when the Deion announcement was made. Depends on what the 2023 season pre-sales looked like.

Quick math:

Round to $120M in economic impact (termed used in the article, not the clickbait headline) to Boulder. This would be $s spent by incremental fans in town while attending the game.

Assume Deion is responsible for 40,000 incremental fans per game (seems generous).

That's $3K per incremental fan over 6 games, so $500 per fan per game. So, on average, it would cost a family of 4 $2,000 to come to a game.

How much do you spend per person going to a Tech game?

I suppose the analysis could include things like overtime paid to cops to manage traffic (tax-payer funded), salaries to extra wait staff at restaurants (cost to owner), etc. Wonder what the incremental profit number would be...

Quick math:

Round to $120M in economic impact (termed used in the article, not the clickbait headline) to Boulder. This would be $s spent by incremental fans in town while attending the game.

Assume Deion is responsible for 40,000 incremental fans per game (seems generous).

That's $3K per incremental fan over 6 games, so $500 per fan per game. So, on average, it would cost a family of 4 $2,000 to come to a game.

I suppose the analysis could include things like overtime paid to cops to manage traffic (tax-payer funded), salaries to extra wait staff at restaurants (cost to owner), etc. Wonder what the incremental profit number would be...
Going to Ireland is pushing my average per game expense upward.

Quick math:

It probably costs me about $3500 per home game for 3 flying in and 1 driving. Just shy of a grand for flights, about $800 for 2 nights in a hotel when you add everything, almost $700 for gameday tickets, I drop another grand on food, etc. Gets real expensive if the wife feels the urge to eat somewhere fashionable or the kids want to go toe to toe with me doing shots and/or golfing gets added. Yeah, the öööö adds up real quick. Not real hard to drop 5 grand on a weekend in Atlanta if there's 4 of you.

It probably costs me about $3500 per home game for 3 flying in and 1 driving. Just shy of a grand for flights, about $800 for 2 nights in a hotel when you add everything, almost $700 for gameday tickets, I drop another grand on food, etc. Gets real expensive if the wife feels the urge to eat somewhere fashionable or the kids want to go toe to toe with me doing shots and/or golfing gets added. Yeah, the öööö adds up real quick. Not real hard to drop 5 grand on a weekend in Atlanta if there's 4 of you.
This 80k man öööös

And you do it for every home game?

And the report only included "economic value" spent in the Boulder area, so plane tickets wouldn't be included.

And you do it for every home game?
Mutt game is during Thanksgiving so we usually pass & if there's an early BS game when work's an issue I may skip one of those also, but most of the time there's all 4 of us on Saturdays. So basically 4-6 games depending on the season. If there's some place else worth going, we'll make a road trip. Missed Ole Miss, still kicking myself I let work get in the way.

Don't forget, we play Colorado next season. I hope to God deion is still there so he can catch an ass whooping.

He probably won't be though

Weird, I thought if Deion was capable of one thing it was to instantly bring in an insane amount of talent

Back