Back in the day

In all seriousness, the PA system used to add to the game atmosphere, but for the past six years or so it has just seemed out of sync with the game and detracted from the atmosphere. The band also seems like they're just going through the motions. I mean, ffs, they still play 'put on' a handful of times every game.

The Notre Dame start time worked out just fine.

I'm going to ask a really ignorant question.
But in what year did we install lights for night games? Are the 1:30 start times simply a factor of not being able to host a night game?

Are the 1:30 start times simply a factor of not being able to host a night game?

I attended night games at Grant Field in the late 50's & 60s, and played in them during the late 60s & early 70s.

In that era, the night games that weren't ABC Prime Time were usually for the South Carolinas, FSUs, Miamis, East Carolinas, Small Colleges like MTSU. Memphis State, et al who weren't the big names they are now. LSU & the Mississippi schools, and occasionally Alabama, were the notable exceptions, presumably because of the heat.

We played Notre Dame at home in '69 (one I played in) in games that started at 9PM in November. The '71 Georgia game was at night.

In all seriousness, the PA system used to add to the game atmosphere, but for the past six years or so it has just seemed out of sync with the game and detracted from the atmosphere. The band also seems like they're just going through the motions. I mean, ffs, they still play 'put on' a handful of times every game.

Glad it's not just me. Maybe it was just all the night games and how completely wasted I was, but the entire 2009 season atmosphere was heavily aided by the PA system. Don't know that I've ever seen crowds as excited and into being there since then. It wasn't even just about winning. Just fun.

The season of All the Way Turnt Up

Glad it's not just me. Maybe it was just all the night games and how completely wasted I was, but the entire 2009 season atmosphere was heavily aided by the PA system. Don't know that I've ever seen crowds as excited and into being there since then. It wasn't even just about winning. Just fun.

It could just be that the "I'm a banana" crap permanently ruined the gameday experience for me by awakening me from koolaid drunkenness.

Edit: I remember the atmosphere being great 2006-2009 with flashes of enthusiasm thru 2011. I wasn't able to attend any games in 2012, but when I came back, it was very apparent that the PA was stepping on the atmosphere.

I attended night games at Grant Field in the late 50's & 60s, and played in them during the late 60s & early 70s.

In that era, the night games that weren't ABC Prime Time were usually for the South Carolinas, FSUs, Miamis, East Carolinas, Small Colleges like MTSU. Memphis State, et al who weren't the big names they are now. LSU & the Mississippi schools, and occasionally Alabama, were the notable exceptions, presumably because of the heat.

We played Notre Dame at home in '69 (one I played in) in games that started at 9PM in November. The '71 Georgia game was at night.

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Didn't Jeff Ford run an interception back about 100 yards against Notre Dame that game.

Didn't Jeff Ford run an interception back about 100 yards against Notre Dame that game.

It was actually 102 - but St. Ara was up 30-0 before the half, still had Theisman & the rest of his starters in the game, and Theisman was throwing the ball all over the place. Jeff picked it off & no one was going to catch him. The 2 pt failed & we trailed at the half 6-30.

Ara kept his starters in the whole 2nd half & we won that half 14-8. The final was still 20-38, but they knew they had been in a fight. The next year we led 7-3 late in the 4th quarter up there when Theisman hit Ed Gulyas flat on his back 45 yards down field on a 3rd or 4th down scramble. ND goes down, scores & holds on, but again, the No. 1 ranked Irish had far more than they had wanted.

BTW, ND had the dirtiest, most foul mouthed, profane fans we encountered anywhere - maybe in response to the '67 & '69 Fish Toss games - and you can include their ushers amongst them.

Last edited:
It was actually 102 - but St. Ara was up 30-0 before the half, still had Theisman & the rest of his starters in the game, and Theisman was throwing the ball all over the place. Jeff picked it off & no one was going to catch him. The 2 pt failed & we trailed at the half 6-30.

Ara kept his starters in the whole 2nd half & we won that half 14-8. The final was still 20-38, but they knew they had been in a fight. The next year we led 7-3 late in the 4th quarter up there when Theisman hit Ed Gulyas flat on his back 45 yards down field on a 3rd or 4th down scramble. ND goes down, scores & holds on, but again, the No. 1 ranked Irish had far more than they had wanted.

BTW, ND had the dirtiest, most foul mouthed, profane fans we encountered anywhere - maybe in response to the '67 & '69 Fish Toss games - and you can include their ushers amongst them.

My Dad was also on some of those teams. He despises ND with a passion to this day. Calls them a bunch of “obnoxious Yankees”. I went to the 07 game in South Bend and told him how nice the fans, ushers, etc. responded even after we stomped them (which was actually the truth). He threatened to disown me and cut me out of his will. I don’t bring it up anymore.

My Dad was also on some of those teams. He despises ND with a passion to this day. Calls them a bunch of “obnoxious Yankees”. I went to the 07 game in South Bend and told him how nice the fans, ushers, etc. responded even after we stomped them (which was actually the truth). He threatened to disown me and cut me out of his will. I don’t bring it up anymore.

Who's your old man? No need to say the name, just which years he played & jersey number. If we overlap, he knows #69 & DeepSnap.

you can take that rumbling row promotion, turn that sumbich sideways and stuck it right up MBob’s candy ass!

Back