Back in the day

My Dad’s 8th Grade football team at Roosevelt and then later at Dykes would play Saturday mornings at 9. They were finished at the perfect time to use complimentary coach’s passes for the Tech game. Before the Upper West was constructed the high school coaches sat atop bleachers on top of the press box. Sitting up there with all the coaches was terrific fun. After the Tech game we went to the Varsity and bought boxes to take to Grady or Cheyney Stadiums to scout a future Varsity opponent from the press box on Saturday night. Those were perfect Saturdays for a kid with his Dad - three football games, one at Tech, and lots of Varsity food. My Dad lost his sons as potential students for his Alma mater, Auburn, on those days. We both fell in love with Georgia Tech and graduated in ‘77 and ‘82.
I also remember listening to the “pick of Dixie” on WGST after the Tech games

Are we sure we want to know in advance every kickoff time?
Screenshot_2018-05-26-14-52-01-1.png
Is that phone number still active?

Every high school coach in the state should be offered complimentary tickets to the non-sellout games.

Yes snowflakes melt at temps above 32F. The greater generations know how to handle the heat.

As others have said the issue with noon games isn’t the heat it is having to have breakfast tailgates.

Otherwise noon games are fine.
Funny, the people I see complain the most about the heat are fat old people from these generations.

Every high school coach in the state should be offered complimentary tickets to the non-sellout games.

All the HS Coach has to do is ask & gets 2 per game per coach. Link This is obviously for last season, but aside from the Mercedes Benz reference, this hasn't changed in many a moon.

All the HS Coach has to do is ask & gets 2 per game per coach. Link This is obviously for last season, but aside from the Mercedes Benz reference, this hasn't changed in many a moon.
My general sense is that a lot of the 'obvious' things ST-ers think the GTAA should be doing... it has, in fact, been doing. For a long time.

Ok but we should be pushing it! Not making them request the tickets

Ok but we should be pushing it! Not making them request the tickets

So if there are say X-hundred high schools in Georgia, not even considering Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, and a host of other states our staff recruits from, we should blindly send out 2xX-hundred Comp tickets?

There's also the little point of the staff wanting to know which HS coaches are wanting to come to our games, professional courtesy et al, being a part of the business. And since the tickets are complimentary, I imagine the other Comp - the Compliance Staff - has a say in making sure the NCAA rules about said tickets aren't violated.

It's not exactly a rigorous process - a phone call by Wednesday & go by the Coaches Will Call at Gate 1 on Game Day. And I really can't imagine anyone ever getting a timely request turned down. I doubt the process is much different than the ones in Gainesville, Auburn, or Tuscaloosa.

Whatever we are doing we arent filling up the section. Seems like we could.

Maybe at the start of the season we should have a big tailgate for the high school coaches (I might cull the ones who actually went to UGA) and give them enough tickets for the whole family. Get them in the habit?

The tickets are free, might even make money off concessions. The tailgate could be some of the best spend we make from the recruiting budget.

The student section is the one that empties out first.
Yeah but that seemed to be a problem back in my day at Tech too, in the early 90s. It just seems only the frats are interested in American Football while the general student population would rather play D&D, play video games or study. I understand the problem is worse today but that is a widespread problem in all sports. People have just found the comfort of home with HD TV a better game watching experience (and cheaper) than attending a game. Rather than continue to use a dying business model, sports needs to adapt. I find college football game attendance still a better experience than at home due to the pageantry, cheerleaders and the band but attending an NFL game is a tough sell these days, and I'm a big fan. '

I believe the future will need smaller arenas with working high bandwidth Wi-Fi (key word is working), comfortable seating and *affordable* concessions. GT would be great in a modern 30,000 seat arena where every seat felt like club seating. I know it ain't happening but it would be perfect.

Yeah but that seemed to be a problem back in my day at Tech too, in the early 90s. It just seems only the frats are interested in American Football while the general student population would rather play D&D, play video games or study. I understand the problem is worse today but that is a widespread problem in all sports. People have just found the comfort of home with HD TV a better game watching experience (and cheaper) than attending a game. Rather than continue to use a dying business model, sports needs to adapt. I find college football game attendance still a better experience than at home due to the pageantry, cheerleaders and the band but attending an NFL game is a tough sell these days, and I'm a big fan. '

I believe the future will need smaller arenas with working high bandwidth Wi-Fi (key word is working), comfortable seating and *affordable* concessions. GT would be great in a modern 30,000 seat arena where every seat felt like club seating. I know it ain't happening but it would be perfect.

The club seats are nice. You have your own space and cup holders. Nicer restrooms, too.

Back