ACC QBs in NFL Draft

Perhaps the greatest QB ever didn't beat out Brian Griese.

The point, therefore, is these guy grow, develop, etc. So, we can't LOL just yet based on who they couldn't beat out in college.
Still a stupid pick, IMO. Watson's body of work is so much more impressive than Trubisky's, and it's not like he doesn't have the measurables - I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out fine, I just don't get picking him as the top QB.

Lifelong Bears fan here... my thoughts:

Trubisky is a more NFL-ready QB than Watson. Yep, that's right. Watson was a great college QB, but college does not equal pros. He has a habit of panicking in the pocket and "tucking and running". He was also surrounded by a great cast at Clemson. Most of his starters have gotten their names called the past two nights. I personally think he will wind up like RGIII, but my diehard Bears fan brother says it will be more like Taylor. Either way, he slipped on draft night due to talent.

With that said, Trubisky is a gamble. The Bears are owned by George Halas' daughter and managed by her son and family. Historically they have done 2 things that have limited the Bears: cheapened out on star players and not invested in a solid QB. This draft pick shows big gamble, but also a reversal of history. I think this falls squarely on the GM Pace. Trubisky won't start next year (Pace just signed Glennon as starter and butt fumble as backup) but it appears the Bears are willing to invest in a QB for the first time in decades. There are still plenty of needs, but Pace and Fox will live and die by Trubisky in 2-3 seasons.

Still a stupid pick, IMO. Watson's body of work is so much more impressive than Trubisky's, and it's not like he doesn't have the measurables - I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out fine, I just don't get picking him as the top QB.
I seem to remember the stat that Watson had thrown more interceptions over the past two seasons than any other FBS QB. Don't know if true, but if it is, Watson is a big risk. Clemson was able to just out talent a lot of teams on the schedule, especially on defense.

Thomas to get a tryout with the 49ers. Better than nothing.

I seem to remember the stat that Watson had thrown more interceptions over the past two seasons than any other FBS QB. Don't know if true, but if it is, Watson is a big risk. Clemson was able to just out talent a lot of teams on the schedule, especially on defense.
Still went to 2 national titles, was a finalist for 2 Heismans, and passed for over 800 yards in two games vs. Bama.

That's a pretty dang good strategy. I'd like to give it a try some year.
I think we can play with almost any team, 1st string to 1st string, unfortunately, we don't have quite the depth of a factory school, especially on the OL and DL.

Still went to 2 national titles, was a finalist for 2 Heismans, and passed for over 800 yards in two games vs. Bama.
Clemson's defense keeping other teams offense off the field was a big part of that success. I'm not saying Watson isn't good, but he had a great defense, OL, and excellent WR's

I heard an interview with David Greene once about his time at UGAg and his short stay in the NFL. He said that while he was at UGAg, he could throw the ball into a large window and his WR's could normally out athlete the opposing corner or safety and get the ball. In the NFL, he said, if you throw like that you get picked almost every time. Watson may end up being a great player, but he isn't going to have talent superiority over the opponent like he had at Clemmons.

Trubisky is a more NFL-ready QB than Watson. Yep, that's right. Watson was a great college QB, but college does not equal pros. He has a habit of panicking in the pocket and "tucking and running". He was also surrounded by a great cast at Clemson. Most of his starters have gotten their names called the past two nights. I personally think he will wind up like RGIII, but my diehard Bears fan brother says it will be more like Taylor. Either way, he slipped on draft night due to talent.

With that said, Trubisky is a gamble. The Bears are owned by George Halas' daughter and managed by her son and family. Historically they have done 2 things that have limited the Bears: cheapened out on star players and not invested in a solid QB. This draft pick shows big gamble, but also a reversal of history. I think this falls squarely on the GM Pace. Trubisky won't start next year (Pace just signed Glennon as starter and butt fumble as backup) but it appears the Bears are willing to invest in a QB for the first time in decades. There are still plenty of needs, but Pace and Fox will live and die by Trubisky in 2-3 seasons.

Lifelong Bear fan here as well, going back to Wrigley and "3 B's" Brown, Blanda and Bratkowski days. Your characterization of the team's perceptibly historic situation is 100% spot on. When all is said and done, regardless of much else, if they can't get a quality NFL QB in place, it's just going to be more of the same. Pace's decision has drawn criticism from the masses but he's obviously shown the strength of conviction to look toward the future and decide that this is the Bear's best chance at true "foundation" quality player at the most critical position. Further, the RGIII comparison with Watson rings true to me as well, I still remember the start of the 2014 Clemson game, when, after having to listen to announcers ramble on about Watson's superman-like ability, we saw him go down on not much (if any) of a hit in the 1st quarter. Great post ... :bigthumbup:

Clemson's defense keeping other teams offense off the field was a big part of that success. I'm not saying Watson isn't good, but he had a great defense, OL, and excellent WR's

I heard an interview with David Greene once about his time at UGAg and his short stay in the NFL. He said that while he was at UGAg, he could throw the ball into a large window and his WR's could normally out athlete the opposing corner or safety and get the ball. In the NFL, he said, if you throw like that you get picked almost every time. Watson may end up being a great player, but he isn't going to have talent superiority over the opponent like he had at Clemmons.
Lots of truth to what you said, but the fact is that, on the biggest stage, he put up 75 points and 800+ passing yards on Alabama's defense in two games. There was no talent superiority there, and his defense did not do much to help him either time.

He very well may be an NFL bust, but I honestly don't see any legitimate reason to pick Trubisky over him. I've seen both of them play a lot, and I've never been that impressed by Trubisky, whereas Watson is a guy that you just feel like will win you the game if it comes down to it.

Lots of truth to what you said, but the fact is that, on the biggest stage, he put up 75 points and 800+ passing yards on Alabama's defense in two games. There was no talent superiority there, and his defense did not do much to help him either time.

He very well may be an NFL bust, but I honestly don't see any legitimate reason to pick Trubisky over him. I've seen both of them play a lot, and I've never been that impressed by Trubisky, whereas Watson is a guy that you just feel like will win you the game if it comes down to it.

I don't think anyone doubts Watson's athletic ability or his drive; I think the conversion from college to NFL is the question. No doubt he did great work against Alabama, but can we isolate his 75 point, 800 yard performance strictly to his abilities as a QB, or is the gross effect a mix of his talent + Clemson's system + Alabama's system? Alabama is set up to stop the run and to execute against pro style systems. In that sense they did pretty well (I seem to remember Clemson's running back getting a huge gain the first play of the game and then getting very little after that). Was Clemson's spread style an influence in their success against Alabama? Johnny Manziel had similar performances against Alabama in a similar style offense. I know he isn't directly comparable to Watson, but he didn't translate to the NFL. Similarly, Ole Miss had pretty good success with Chad Kelly and he went dead last in the draft this year. I think there is an aspect of mobile quarterback + system imbalance that dilutes the Watson beat Bama narrative. Unfortunately, mobile quarterbacks don't often translate well to the NFL. Like you said, time will tell.

Lifelong Bear fan here as well, going back to Wrigley and "3 B's" Brown, Blanda and Bratkowski days. Your characterization of the team's perceptibly historic situation is 100% spot on. When all is said and done, regardless of much else, if they can't get a quality NFL QB in place, it's just going to be more of the same. Pace's decision has drawn criticism from the masses but he's obviously shown the strength of conviction to look toward the future and decide that this is the Bear's best chance at true "foundation" quality player at the most critical position. Further, the RGIII comparison with Watson rings true to me as well, I still remember the start of the 2014 Clemson game, when, after having to listen to announcers ramble on about Watson's superman-like ability, we saw him go down on not much (if any) of a hit in the 1st quarter. Great post ... :bigthumbup:

Pace is definitely gambling his career on this one. In the end, with his other bartering, he didn't give up much for Trubisky, but Fox's contract is up in 2 years and everyone Pace drafted this year minus Eddie Jackson is going to be a 2+ year project. Maybe he is planning to fill in some of the needs on the OL and defense with free agents to cover the gap, but there are plenty of needs all around. The Bears really need a middle linebacker that can lead the defense, and they are woefully bad in the secondary. Personnel wise, I don't think the transition to the 3-4 is a good one and they should move back to a Tampa 2, 4-3 hybrid. there is already dysfunction brooding as well. Rumor is that Glennon hasn't reached out to Trubisky yet, so it will be interesting to see how that gets handled.

I don't think anyone doubts Watson's athletic ability or his drive; I think the conversion from college to NFL is the question. No doubt he did great work against Alabama, but can we isolate his 75 point, 800 yard performance strictly to his abilities as a QB, or is the gross effect a mix of his talent + Clemson's system + Alabama's system? Alabama is set up to stop the run and to execute against pro style systems. In that sense they did pretty well (I seem to remember Clemson's running back getting a huge gain the first play of the game and then getting very little after that). Was Clemson's spread style an influence in their success against Alabama? Johnny Manziel had similar performances against Alabama in a similar style offense. I know he isn't directly comparable to Watson, but he didn't translate to the NFL. Similarly, Ole Miss had pretty good success with Chad Kelly and he went dead last in the draft this year. I think there is an aspect of mobile quarterback + system imbalance that dilutes the Watson beat Bama narrative. Unfortunately, mobile quarterbacks don't often translate well to the NFL. Like you said, time will tell.

Cool story, bruh.

Interesting thoughts but pretty much the opposite of what most pundits have said. Trubinsky has the NFL measurables, arm, etc., but is not ready to play. As you say he won't start next year and maybe not the year after if they can manage it. The gamble here is that he pans out when given his shot, but hopefully not for a few years yet.

The biggest plus for Watson that most mention is that he DOESN'T panic. He may very well start before the year is out at Houston. I think he will be fine in the pros, not a star but a better than average QB. I don't remember is it was Mayock or who that was breaking down his interception totals and basically said that some were on him and he has to improve some of his reads, but that many were because Clemson had a "throw it up and let the WR get it" mentality. Time will tell as always.

Interesting thoughts but pretty much the opposite of what most pundits have said. Trubinsky has the NFL measurables, arm, etc., but is not ready to play. As you say he won't start next year and maybe not the year after if they can manage it. The gamble here is that he pans out when given his shot, but hopefully not for a few years yet.

The biggest plus for Watson that most mention is that he DOESN'T panic. He may very well start before the year is out at Houston. I think he will be fine in the pros, not a star but a better than average QB. I don't remember is it was Mayock or who that was breaking down his interception totals and basically said that some were on him and he has to improve some of his reads, but that many were because Clemson had a "throw it up and let the WR get it" mentality. Time will tell as always.

I agree that Trubinskly has the NFL measurables, but not the experience. I think that's where the gamble comes in to play. The gamble is in the timing in my mind. The Bears will need to turn around before the end of Fox's contract unless they want to go back to the well for a new coach, so the window is tight for more offensive production. QB is a start, and they have the RB in place. They will need to give him a good OL before he settles in. Long is on the OL, but they need a couple more studs. Overall, lots of work on both sides of the ball.

Watson could be a lot better than I give him credit for - maybe I am mixing up some of his designed run plays with some of the times he stood in the pocket and got drilled on a big completion. I think he will likely start for the Texans next year as I believe he is a better QB than Savage. We will see!

Back