ACC QBs in NFL Draft

coit

Persecuted for his beliefs
League so ded.
Depends upon the system. Some systems seem to never miss a beat from one QB to the next, like UNC and even our system. Clemson has a nice spread offense and a never-ending stream of 5-stars to run it so I think they will be okay. FSU, BC and Miami run pro style systems so they suffer big drop offs whenever they transition to a young QB. Da U should take a step backwards next year while FSU takes a big step forward.

Depends upon the system. Some systems seem to never miss a beat from one QB to the next, like UNC and even our system. Clemson has a nice spread offense and a never-ending stream of 5-stars to run it so I think they will be okay. FSU, BC and Miami run pro style systems so they suffer big drop offs whenever they transition to a young QB. Da U should take a step backwards next year while FSU takes a big step forward.

Uh oh, somebody doesn't remember the year of Cole Stoudt, or realize that Clemson had just 1 single five star player starting on offense last year, which wasn't even the QB. Try not to stare.

Uh oh, somebody doesn't remember the year of Cole Stoudt, or realize that Clemson had just 1 single five star player starting on offense last year, which wasn't even the QB. Try not to stare.
Well I guess that depends upon the recruiting service. Deshaun was a 5-star on rivals. There's not much difference between a high 4-star or 5-star. My point is Clemson's offense transitions well to young future-star QB's. Cole Stoudt was a backup who started due to injury. Any offense has the potential to struggle when it's starter gets knocked out for the year. Stoudt's only bad game was against us too.

Stoudt wasn't a backup, he was a starter. He just got beat out by a truly phenomenal talent. Clemson is taking a step back.

UNC looked pretty bad when Fedora came in. It may be that his system gets taught well in practice. Otoh, they managed to make 1 trip to the acccg with a top 10 draft pick qb.

I thought you said 6 or 12

That was quoting the article. Clearly somebody sees something in the guy. After the Marquise bust from last year I think it is the system.

Who knows.

They probably see a tall QB that tested well in the combine or pro day workout. Probably has a strong arm and impressed the scouts. Ran the drills like a first round pick.

What good is any of the other available players if you dont have a franchise QB? Risk seems like it is worth taking to me.

was the UNC qb really that good? Seems like an awful lot to risk for a guy who started like 10 games

was the UNC qb really that good? Seems like an awful lot to risk for a guy who started like 10 games
Risk what? 4th worst? 5th worst?

What is the upside of anyone else in the draft on W/L record? Is there a cant miss WR worth maybe 4 wins? What does a great DE or OL mean, 2 wins?

To win in the NFL you have to have a QB. Full stop.

What good is any of the other available players if you dont have a franchise QB? Risk seems like it is worth taking to me.
Quarterbacks starting in the Super Bowl include names like Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon and Colin Kaepernick. They're all pretty good QB's... but are they franchise QB's?

You could just as easily say "what good is a franchise QB if he's got no protection or no one to throw it to or no defense?" (I'm reminded of Giselle's line after Super Bowl ? in 2012: My husband can't throw the ball and catch it too.)

Quarterbacks starting in the Super Bowl include names like Rex Grossman, Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon and Colin Kaepernick. They're all pretty good QB's... but are they franchise QB's?

You could just as easily say "what good is a franchise QB if he's got no protection or no one to throw it to or no defense?" (I'm reminded of Giselle's line after Super Bowl ? in 2012: My husband can't throw the ball and catch it too.)
True, but they wouldnt have made the playoffs without Giselle's husband much less the super bowl.

As to the first question, what teams with franchise QBs finished in the bottom half of the league?

Im not being fair putting a "franchise" standard on even a #2 pick QB. As you point out, sometimes all it takes is "serviceable" to make the playoffs. Did anyone make the playoffs without a franchise or serviceable QB? (Im seriously asking, I dont really pay attention outside of 3 teams).

Did anyone make the playoffs without a franchise or serviceable QB? (Im seriously asking, I dont really pay attention outside of 3 teams).
I don't know what constitutes "serviceable" – but I would think "not screwing up so badly that it prevents your team from making the playoffs" is a decent definition – and hence renders it impossible that non-serviceable QB's made the playoffs.

I certainly don't disagree that a QB is important, but many of the best QB's were not high round draft picks (Brady being the most obvious example). That's why taking Trubisky at #2 can be a risk. Trading down to take more chances at lower rounds is a pretty well respected draft strategy.

Tom Brady
In 1997 Brian Griese (who came to Michigan as a walk on) led Michigan to an undefeated season and national championship. Pretty hard to second guess the coaches on that. Once he left, Brady became the starter. Kinda stretching things to compare that situation to Marquise Williams.

In 1997 Brian Griese (who came to Michigan as a walk on) led Michigan to an undefeated season and national championship. Pretty hard to second guess the coaches on that. Once he left, Brady became the starter. Kinda stretching things to compare that situation to Marquise Williams.

Perhaps the greatest QB ever didn't beat out Brian Griese.

The point, therefore, is these guy grow, develop, etc. So, we can't LOL just yet based on who they couldn't beat out in college.

Back