ACC adds Cal, Stanford and SMU

We don't want broke ass WVU in the ACC.

SMU has billionaire, motivated, boosters.

So moneyed and so motivated that they haven't done öööö in garbage G5 conferences for the last 30 years. Meanwhile TCU in an almost identical situation.... We'll see, but it just feels like they made a down payment with nothing to back it up.

So moneyed and so motivated that they haven't done öööö in garbage G5 conferences for the last 30 years. Meanwhile TCU in an almost identical situation.... We'll see, but it just feels like they made a down payment with nothing to back it up.
All SMU needed to open the floodgates of $$$ was to be in one of the big conferences - ACC, SEC, BIG10, BIG12. Now that the NIL is a thing, you will see billionaires just buying players for SMU. Just watch. They don't even NEED our TV money.

As one of their billionaires said (the Marathon oil guy?) "It is a few hundred million dollars, I'm not going to lose sleep over it"

All SMU needed to open the floodgates of $$$ was to be in one of the big conferences - ACC, SEC, BIG10, BIG12. Now that the NIL is a thing, you will see billionaires just buying players for SMU. Just watch. They don't even NEED our TV money.

As one of their billionaires said (the Marathon oil guy?) "It is a few hundred million dollars, I'm not going to lose sleep over it"

They could have done it before and did nothing. Literally nothing was stopping them from spending money decades ago. TCU was burning up the G5 before they got their P5 invite. Texas has lots of big money carving up the pie. That may be the theory but I'm extremely skeptical that all of a sudden being in the ACC is just going to get their football fans fired up, playing schools they have no history or tradition with. Every school in Texas has a few T. Boone Pickens. We'll find out.

The conference shuffle game is making strange bedfellows out of all. Oregon in the B1G? Huh? Oklahoma in the SECheat? What? UCF in the B12? Why? SMU in the ACC? OK, I'm done.

I put this all in the "it is what it is" category now.

They could have done it before and did nothing. Literally nothing was stopping them from spending money decades ago. TCU was burning up the G5 before they got their P5 invite. Texas has lots of big money carving up the pie. That may be the theory but I'm extremely skeptical that all of a sudden being in the ACC is just going to get their football fans fired up, playing schools they have no history or tradition with. Every school in Texas has a few T. Boone Pickens. We'll find out.
SMU has had a much harder history than any other CFB team other than maybe Marshall, who endured tragedy. We will see, I suppose, but from what I read, the pocketbooks of old billionaires are now being opened. No clue why they didn't before. I do know they offered to pay CPJ more than we did back when we hired him and he came to GT since we had a path to a championship through our conference.

SMU could not do it prior to recently (NIL). You miss one very very big fact.

SMU could not do it prior to recently (NIL). You miss one very very big fact.
And they didn't have a path back to the P5 before all this happened. Their only real avenue was the Big 12 and they were regularly blocked. They weren't going to commit the money until the possibility to return to P5 was real. They were on track to join the PAC 10 until the implosion.

You think they were going to risk it again? Now it's legal. I think they already have an nil setup where, at a bare minimum, each scholarship player makes $36k/year.

You think they were going to risk it again? Now it's legal. I think they already have an nil setup where, at a bare minimum, each scholarship player makes $36k/year.
And that is at a G5 level.

The SMU death penalty is ancient history. They haven't done öööö in 30 years. Maybe you're right. I doubt it. But with NIL we should know really fast. Either way no one else wanted them, with the same deal. I wonder why. For the supposed advantages the ACC is getting from this financial deal, any conference should've have been ready to take them.

The SMU death penalty is ancient history. They haven't done öööö in 30 years. Maybe you're right. I doubt it. But with NIL we should know really fast. Either way no one else wanted them, with the same deal. I wonder why. For the supposed advantages the ACC is getting from this financial deal, any conference should've have been ready to take them.
You seem awfully butthurt about SMU. I guess we will see. I do know they are in a major conference now and have more booster money available to them than most, if not all, teams in the ACC. You can discount that all you want and use the example of them not doing it as a G5, but the new group of 7 billionaires who are pooled together to fund the move seem to be taking this much more seriously now.

I don’t know why SMU didn’t buy players over the last 20 years. What I do know is their boosters just bought a spot in a P4 conference for over a hundred million. There aren’t many schools that could pull that off.

I don’t know why SMU didn’t buy players over the last 20 years. What I do know is their boosters just bought a spot in a P4 conference for over a hundred million. There aren’t many schools that could pull that off.
And then comment "I ain't gonna lose sleep over it".

You seem awfully butthurt about SMU. I guess we will see. I do know they are in a major conference now and have more booster money available to them than most, if not all, teams in the ACC. You can discount that all you want and use the example of them not doing it as a G5, but the new group of 7 billionaires who are pooled together to fund the move seem to be taking this much more seriously now.

No butthurt. Just not buying the arguments. The Big 12 must be kicking themselves for not taking such a great deal, right?

But they are in, and with NIL and the ease of using $ to turn rosters, we will know soon enough.

Why would Big 12 take SMU? They already have a ton of Texas schools. SMU wouldn’t have the votes to join.
PAC can’t take them. They don’t have the name recognition for BIG 10 or SEC. That leaves only the ACC. I think they could be a sleeping giant with their recruiting location and their NIL money and now with a P5 conference.

No butthurt. Just not buying the arguments. The Big 12 must be kicking themselves for not taking such a great deal, right?

But they are in, and with NIL and the ease of using $ to turn rosters, we will know soon enough.

Not sure they have previously offered to pay their own way for so long.

Add to it that SMU can only grow at the expense of the other Big12 schools. Specifically, TCU, TT, OSU. All of those draw heavily on DFW. Other Big12 schools would also suffer, just less.

A growing SMU does pretty much nothing to other ACC schools.

Why would Big 12 take SMU? They already have a ton of Texas schools. SMU wouldn’t have the votes to join.
PAC can’t take them. They don’t have the name recognition for BIG 10 or SEC. That leaves only the ACC. I think they could be a sleeping giant with their recruiting location and their NIL money and now with a P5 conference.

Who cares if they have a ton of Texas schools? This would have been the financial deal of the century for any conference. They aren't even asking anything in return apparently. Nothing lost and they get a bunch of built-in rivalries.

Nobody in TX gives a öööö about SMU is why, and now they will care even less when Syracuse and UVa and Pitt come to town. I get why we took them. They were the best of bad options. But whatever...it's all short-term anyway. The whole thing is going to be blown up in a short number of years.

Who cares if they have a ton of Texas schools? This would have been the financial deal of the century for any conference. They aren't even asking anything in return apparently. Nothing lost and they get a bunch of built-in rivalries.

Nobody in TX gives a öööö about SMU is why, and now they will care even less when Syracuse and UVa and Pitt come to town. I get why we took them. They were the best of bad options. But whatever...it's all short-term anyway. The whole thing is going to be blown up in a short number of years.

Agree it is all blowing up in a few years.

For the current model to work, there should be about 50-60 schools. Having a ‘top 25’ is gold for college football, but it doesn’t work with 30 schools. They need to retain some of the ’collegeness’ to survive. Take too few schools and you become a minor league. At that point you start to look like minor league baseball and those teams aren’t making millions off of tv contracts.

SMU bought themselves a chance at making the to 64.

Back