ACC adds Cal, Stanford and SMU

GCOA8ueXMAAnTrB.jpeg
I thought Stanford‘s mascot was a tree?

Sportskeeda reported that under the terms of the ACC’s TV deal with ESPN, the network can renegotiate the deal if the membership falls under 15 . With Florida State looking to depart at any time, that posed a crisis for the ACC if ESPN insisted on a renegotiated the TV deal. Adding the (3)schools serves as a kind of insurance policy; it creates a cushion when Florida State and others who may want to exit.

The ACC also counts on the three new schools to bring in additional TV revenue, which can then be distributed to existing schools in an attempt to appease those who want more money. ESPN reports that California and Stanford will only receive 30% of the standard ACC payouts for some unspecified period of time, while SMU will apparently forgo all ACC TV revenues for nine years.

As inconvenient as the new geography is, there are some potential advantages — again, dealing with TV revenue. First, the ACC picks up two big markets, which puts its schools in front of potential recruits in Texas and California in a way they weren’t before. Second, this expands the ACC’s potential inventory of TV games that it can monetize. A start time of 9 p.m. EST for a November game in Blacksburg doesn’t really work but isn’t a problem if that game is in relatively balmy Berkeley instead.

Ultimately, though, the real advantage of this expansion is that it lessens the chance that the ACC will collapse, picked apart by scavengers from other conferences. If the ACC were to ever fall apart, some schools would have their pick of conferences and might actually be able to upgrade themselves in terms of TV revenue; others would not. ACC fans ought to love this expansion because it heads off, at least for now, the prospect of ACC Teams winding up in some lesser conference in the aftermath of an ACC apocalypse.

Link
When the schools that can leave do leave, the ACC is a lesser conference. The difference is that schools will be stuck in it.

I thought Stanford‘s mascot was a tree?
Technically, Stanford athletics has no mascot. They’re the Cardinal, as in the color, not the bird.
The student made tree is the mascot of the LSJUMB, the marching band.
To their credit, the Stanford band is a whole thing, they are their own brand of weird and sometimes offensive.

Technically, Stanford athletics has no mascot. They’re the Cardinal, as in the color, not the bird.
The student made tree is the mascot of the LSJUMB, the marching band.
To their credit, the Stanford band is a whole thing, they are their own brand of weird and sometimes offensive.
I’ve the seen the Stanford band many times in person over the years. Always entertaining.

Those rich alums at Stanford, SMU, and Cal need to be calling in their markers and getting the ACC a new contract. You can't tell me a school with the volume of billionaires Stanford has produced and the number of lawyers they have produced can't work out a new contract. This isn't crappy FSU lawyers and hundred thousandaires.

I’ve the seen the Stanford band many times in person over the years. Always entertaining.
When we played them in the Seattle Bowl, they had some dudes in the endzone playing frisbee during their performance. Our drum major at the time (who was a monster Ultimate frisbee player) ran in and intercepted it from them. They laughed about it and invited him and several other Tech band members to toss it with them for the rest of the performance. They're a fun group.

When we played them in the Seattle Bowl, they had some dudes in the endzone playing frisbee during their performance. Our drum major at the time (who was a monster Ultimate frisbee player) ran in and intercepted it from them. They laughed about it and invited him and several other Tech band members to toss it with them for the rest of the performance. They're a fun group.

Back