$15,000 per month is going rate for OL

IMG_4825.jpeg
LOL I had the name TampaBayJacket longggg before Tampa Jacket came along. At least I like pro sports, especially NFL. The difference between the NFL and the new version of CFB is the NFL has a salary cap and strict boundaries on free agency, all in the spirit of promoting competitiveness. CFB is horribly broken and the people who have all the money aren't willing to fix it.

Post NIL there's nothing wrong with paying players. Apparently the new NCAA boundary is that the team / coaches can't do it, it's got to come from a third party. So FSU ran afoul of it by coordinating it above board as part of recruiting. The way to do it is to do it below the table. FSU should have figured this out TBH, since they're surrounded by other teams who have it figured out. (Bama, UGA, UF)

FSU also needs to get their NIL groups to include a caveat where the kids don't get paid until after the bowl game. :bowrofl:

Bama, uga, and uf don’t do it below the table. FSU is getting penalized for not being in the SEC.

This is why I am really losing interest in the wonderful game what was known as college football. I was in favor of the concept of NIL, which is players become famous and then should be able to profit off that fame while they had it. Made sense. It was never supposed to be pay for play. Rather, you play, become famous, and then go make $$$ on your own from your fame via endorsements or social media. Now it's 100% pay for play with guaranteed NIL contracts to play for someone. College football as we knew it is forever gone.

I am going to reconsider my annual contributions to the GTAA, or maybe designate them to another sport. I like the idea of helping to pay for some student's scholarship who otherwise couldn't afford it; but if they're making over $100k/year they can afford tuition, insurance, etc.. There ought to be some sort of adjustment such that once your NIL goes over $50K/year, you no longer get free tuition, free room board, or whatever; instead let that money go towards students without NIL deals who need it.

I am going to reconsider my annual contributions to the GTAA, or maybe designate them to another sport. I like the idea of helping to pay for some student's scholarship who otherwise couldn't afford it; but if they're making over $100k/year they can afford tuition, insurance, etc.. There ought to be some sort of adjustment such that once your NIL goes over $50K/year, you no longer get free tuition, free room board, or whatever; instead let that money go towards students without NIL deals who need it.
I did the opposite. I yanked all GTAA money and gave it to our NIL collective because our athletes deserve to be paid. I'm a small fry though. I wonder what the big fries are doing.

They are being punished for overtly having coaches broker the process and being connected tot he collective; rather than acting like they are oblivious to it. They are also being punished because they aren’t in the Big10 or SEC and the NCAA wants to make an example of someone — and the team that quit and didn’t show up for the Orange Bowl is a perfect target.
Agreed. And what's makes this obvious is these investigations last at least a year. No notice of allegations, nothing. FSU will fight it and beat it. NCAA just trying to pretend they can actually enforce anything.

Bama, uga, and uf don’t do it below the table. FSU is getting penalized for not being in the SEC.
You know damn well that mutt player who backed out of the FSU deal got a higher bid (under the table, of course) that he was promised by FSU. Georgia is obviously immune to any NCAA investigations, or they would have been given the death penalty years ago. What they are doing to FSU now is similar to their treatment of Tech in 2009.

I did the opposite. I yanked all GTAA money and gave it to our NIL collective because our athletes deserve to be paid. I'm a small fry though. I wonder what the big fries are doing.

I am not protesting them being paid; but the ones with huge NIL contracts don't need my money if they are already making $100k+. There are plenty of athletes and students at GT who aren't getting NIL, or are only getting walking around money. I'm just a small fry too and I'm sure the big fries are the ones paying the top players top dollar. I have kids in college myself, it would be a bit obtuse to help pay tuition for some dude making over $100k/year for playing with a football, instead of redirecting my funds to my own kids who are getting student loans.

Pretty much everyone who matters wanted schools involved.

The collectives want schools involved because their main goal is to help their team win, and the easiest way to do that is to know who the team wants.

The schools want to be involved because their main goal is also to win.

It's said that part of it too was that there weren't enough protections for players. Shady collectives were screwing players over in some instances. Like they'd promise them $$$ then go out of business and a player would be at a school for nothing.

With a smaller fan base we can't win the money game without mega-donors or growing the fan base. So what's the theory of success for Tech in the new college football?

In my opinion donating to an NIL collective is just throwing money away unless all you aspire to is a moderately successful, consistently 7-8 win program. We might be able to buy that.

LOL I had the name TampaBayJacket longggg before Tampa Jacket came along. At least I like pro sports, especially NFL. The difference between the NFL and the new version of CFB is the NFL has a salary cap and strict boundaries on free agency, all in the spirit of promoting competitiveness. CFB is horribly broken and the people who have all the money aren't willing to fix it.

@coit , how hard is it to move?

Tampa Bay and Tampa are two different things. Tampa Bay is nice. Tampa is ghetto.

The NCAA should be paying the players out of their billion dollar coffers, so that players wouldn‘t choose a school based on how much that school is paying them. Have a set pay scale depending on year in school, starter vs nonstarter, maybe games started, bonus for playing in bowl game, etc. The path college football is heading down will result in about only 10 teams having a realistic chance of winning a championship.

The majority of fans of a school do not know the names of their offensive linemen. Even less would ever buy a jersey of their offensive lineman and wear to a game. It might not be fair, but it’s just the way it is.
which imo if you want to win is why schools should be involved. aren't offensive linemen some of the highest paid NFL positions? sidewalk fans and collectives don't even know who starters will be, what needs of the team are, who is available in the portal to properly distribute NIL money effectively.

Back