$15,000 per month is going rate for OL

beej67

new around here
An interesting tidbit from the most recent FSU enforcement:

They offered Amarius Mims (UGA OL) $180k/yr NIL deal in the transfer portal, Mims shopped them against UGA's offer and UGA probably matched, so Mims stayed.

The NCAA is going after FSU for blahblahblah but the really interesting thing is this gives us a window into what good players cost.

I pay ten a month to GT's NIL group. If there were only 1,500 more of me we could afford one lineman.

This is why I am really losing interest in the wonderful game what was known as college football. I was in favor of the concept of NIL, which is players become famous and then should be able to profit off that fame while they had it. Made sense. It was never supposed to be pay for play. Rather, you play, become famous, and then go make $$$ on your own from your fame via endorsements or social media. Now it's 100% pay for play with guaranteed NIL contracts to play for someone. College football as we knew it is forever gone.

They offered Amarius Mims (UGA OL) $180k/yr NIL deal in the transfer portal, Mims shopped them against UGA's offer and UGA probably matched, so Mims stayed.

The NCAA is going after FSU for blahblahblah but the really interesting thing is this gives us a window into what good players cost.

I pay ten a month to GT's NIL group. If there were only 1,500 more of me we could afford one lineman.
This is why I don’t watch that much anymore or care. I’ve never liked pro sports.

I love how no reporter will ask why he withdrew his name? A bit odd.

I love how no reporter will ask why he withdrew his name? A bit odd.

Yeah dude. I’m still not sure what precisely FSU is being penalized for here (the ride to the NIL guy? Offering the NIL? Both? Something else?) but assuming it’s offering $180K to the guy… are we to assume here that the kid entered the portal, was offered $180K, and decided “nah I don’t like this corrupt world I’d rather go back to play for uga for free?”

How the öööö are we punishing the team that didn’t even bid high enough for the kid’s services? We are now allowing the teams who cheated the best to rat on the guys who didn’t cheat well enough to win?

Also, hang the ööööing 2009 ACC banner.

Well, he’s a 5-star OL that will be a first round pick in April. So $180K is the top of the OL market.

Yeah dude. I’m still not sure what precisely FSU is being penalized for here (the ride to the NIL guy? Offering the NIL? Both? Something else?) but assuming it’s offering $180K to the guy… are we to assume here that the kid entered the portal, was offered $180K, and decided “nah I don’t like this corrupt world I’d rather go back to play for uga for free?”

How the öööö are we punishing the team that didn’t even bid high enough for the kid’s services? We are now allowing the teams who cheated the best to rat on the guys who didn’t cheat well enough to win?

They are being punished for overtly having coaches broker the process and being connected tot he collective; rather than acting like they are oblivious to it. They are also being punished because they aren’t in the Big10 or SEC and the NCAA wants to make an example of someone — and the team that quit and didn’t show up for the Orange Bowl is a perfect target.

Complaining about playoff snub also makes them an easy target for NCAA sanctions. This shows we are unwilling to let cheaters be a part of the playoffs. Hail to the victors!

Post NIL there's nothing wrong with paying players. Apparently the new NCAA boundary is that the team / coaches can't do it, it's got to come from a third party. So FSU ran afoul of it by coordinating it above board as part of recruiting. The way to do it is to do it below the table. FSU should have figured this out TBH, since they're surrounded by other teams who have it figured out. (Bama, UGA, UF)

FSU also needs to get their NIL groups to include a caveat where the kids don't get paid until after the bowl game. :bowrofl:

Complaining about playoff snub also makes them an easy target for NCAA sanctions. This shows we are unwilling to let cheaters be a part of the playoffs. Hail to the victors!

NCAA doesn't have anything to do w/the playoffs, fwiw. The CFP is a an entity borne out of the old BCS, which of course, Comrade Kramer (of SEC fame) was behind.

This is why I am really losing interest in the wonderful game what was known as college football. I was in favor of the concept of NIL, which is players become famous and then should be able to profit off that fame while they had it. Made sense. It was never supposed to be pay for play. Rather, you play, become famous, and then go make $$$ on your own from your fame via endorsements or social media. Now it's 100% pay for play with guaranteed NIL contracts to play for someone. College football as we knew it is forever gone.

This is spot on. NCAA should have legislated and enforced that schools make no offers or promises of NIL money. If proven otherwise there should be harsh sanctions on any involved schools, coaches and players. Schools offer scholarships and athletes broker their own deals privately. But, the schools themselves wanted collectives, because that seemed more under their control. They have made a colossal mess now.

Boy there sure is a dearth of leadership talent in the country as a whole, lots of people thinking they should be leaders that don't have the skill for it. CFB couldn't be more ööööed up if it was done on purpose.

This is spot on. NCAA should have legislated and enforced that schools make no offers or promises of NIL money. If proven otherwise there should be harsh sanctions on any involved schools, coaches and players. Schools offer scholarships and athletes broker their own deals privately. But, the schools themselves wanted collectives, because that seemed more under their control. They have made a colossal mess now.

Pretty much everyone who matters wanted schools involved.

The collectives want schools involved because their main goal is to help their team win, and the easiest way to do that is to know who the team wants.

The schools want to be involved because their main goal is also to win.

The players want NIL because they want to play football and get paid for it. Especially for those who have significant value on the field but don't play a marketable position (e.g. OL), it's better to get paid based on your on-field value than off-field.

The NCAA probably didn't want this, but they also didn't want NIL in the first place, or free first transfers, or unlimited free transfers...at this point they're probably scared to do much lest they get slapped down in court again.

The majority of fans of a school do not know the names of their offensive linemen. Even less would ever buy a jersey of their offensive lineman and wear to a game. It might not be fair, but it’s just the way it is.

This is why I don’t watch that much anymore or care. I’ve never liked pro sports.

IMG_4825.jpeg

Back