Wow! The ACC raked in the cash in '02-'03

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow! The ACC raked in the cash in \'02-\'03

Holy mackeral at the individual school's take in the latest reporting yr, as documented by Florida's Sun-Sentinel.
Which school raked in the most cash in 02-03 in the entire country? Why it was good ole FSU. But here's the shocker; Which school garnered the 2nd most cash? Yep, u guessed it, none other than Wake Forest!!!!!!
The Big 10 dispersed the most cash as a conference, divided 11 ways, with the SEC 2nd, divided 12 ways. But, again, it's the mighty ACC that has the highest payouts per school, divided 9 ways. If you wondered why Miami & Va Tech were doing backflips & Bos Coll doesn't mind all the travel, this excellent article explains it out.

ACC has highest payout per school

Re: Wow! The ACC raked in the cash in \'02-\'03

The problem is once you add 3 more teams they probably will not have the highest payout any more. That is why I am suprised they expanded. I know they wanted a championship game but it seems like that would be offset by having to divide bowl and BB money 12 ways instead of 9. I am glad they expanded as I think it will be interesting to play Va Tech, Miami and BC and it makes ACC FB much more respected but I thought it was about a break even as far as money was concerned.

Well, the TV contract went up in value in renogiations in both Basketball and Football (and that's on a per team basis). Also, the ACC will probably next time through Bowl negotiations be able to get some better bowls (i.e. bigger payouts). And hopefully send 2 teams to the BCS every year (one of them being GT). And the conference championship should make some money (as long as it isn't FSU-Miami every single year, where they might start not going to the game)

I also anticipate that we'll get more bids to the tournament in the future. We're adding only one team (BC) that really has made any tournament noise of late, although looking at VT, they are already using the ACC to its advantage. Although, even with that, there is probably a good chance that the money could go down. It will be interesting.

RCS, you must not have been following the recent announcments of new TV contracts. The league will be making more PER TEAM under the new agreement, even after adding 3 more schools. The basketball contract is also going up. So the ACC will at least break even, if not increase the payout with the new lineup.

Here\'s an excellent follow-up article

The ACC is the 1st conference in history to give out an average of over $10 million per member!!!!
On the whole the last 20 yrs, Ga Tech made a superb decision to join the ACC.

ACC schools doing very well financially

Back