Why would B. Miller or D. Robertson go to FSU?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Golly Pete, FSU & Miami are loading up on dynamite HS football players for next yr. It's amazing how they get this kind of quality yr after yr.
If I were Brandon Miller or Darrell Robertson, I'd go someplace where I mattered. Neither one of these fine players will hardly get a blip on the FSU recruiting page. Meanwhile, at their homestate teams, Ga Tech & Georgia, they would be huge signees who would garner impact basis immediately.
I really don't, for the life of me, see where there would be any interest of these 2 super-good Ga players to jump into the FSU frying pan. Ga Tech REALLY needs them, while FSU/UGa don't.

Fla St/Miami are reloading again

A Michigan fan posted on Rivals

that FSU has withdrawn their scholarship offer to Darrell Robertson. Darrell, you don't need FSU in your life. Ga Tech is your home. Make the education choice. See you on the Tech practice field in Aug.

Re: A Michigan fan posted on Rivals

[ QUOTE ]
that FSU has withdrawn their scholarship offer to Darrell Robertson. Darrell, you don't need FSU in your life. Ga Tech is your home. Make the education choice. See you on the Tech practice field in Aug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still says he's a soft verbal. The only thing I was wondering is how you can consider FSU and Maryland, and consider GT, Stanford, and Virginia. The first two are not exactly known for their sterling academics.

Info from another source has now said--

Bowden has not pulled Darrell Robertson's offer, but the door has opened up wider for Tech now. According to this source, it's 50/50 Tech-FSU. Obviously, we can make the arguments for earlier playing time and a better degree value, but FSU has the "perenial powerhouse" argument. With 7 straight winning seasons, we're no chopped liver, though.

I don't think that the type of athletes that FSU recruits look at it with the mindset that they are "jumping into a frying pan." IMHO, these young people have the mindset that they are the best at what they do and want a chance to prove that by competing daily with the best at practice. A person who demonstrates that he can start at an FSU or Miami can reasonably expect that he could have played for any school in the country.
An athlete on the other hand who makes a decision based on where can I make an immediate impact or get early playing time may be making a more "short-term" decision. I think back to some of the kids that Bobby Cremins recruited with the promise of starting as a freshman. Some of the earlier kids (Price,Salley,etc.) continued to develop throughout their careers but some never got any better because it didn't seem like they were pushed by a second-string player who wanted their job. Maybe an over-generalization perhaps but I think the lack of internal competition is what stagnated the BB program in the mid-late 90's.

Besides, after graduating from Tech in '81, I had the opportunity to live in Tallahassee for awhile. It was an awesome place and I can certainly understand what would attract an 18 year old to that campus.

Early PT does matter to some recruits---

If you don't believe it, then you haven't been reading many of these recruiting interviews. According to a poster from Buford who knows Darius Walker's father, one of the reasons Darius was turned off from Tech was because he wanted early PT, and felt PJ was entrenched at TB at Tech. I don't think that means Darius Walker is chicken or afraid of competition or lacks confidence. I just think some kids like that want to play and not sit the bench. The fact is if you go into a situation where your position is 5 deep with All-Americans, all things equal, the veteran guy is going to get favored by the coaches and get the playing time. I also think players that actually play earlier, develop more quickly. That is precisely why Price and Salley developed so well-- because they played early and wound up getting 4 years to develop. You can practice all you want to, but only actually playing in a game can prepare you for game time. I'd love it if we had the luxury of 5 deep HS A-A in every position like FSU and Miami, but we don't. Early playing and the ability to make an immediate impact IS a positive situation we offer talented recruits. I also think the comparison to Bobby Cremins basketball teams was incorrect. Cremins recruited very little depth on purpose. Gailey is not doing that. Flunkouts and losing recruits who go on to sit the bench at UGAg or F$U for 3 or 4 years is what hurts our depth.

Back