Who will have a break-out season next year?

Re: FWIW...I tend to agree with Chili.....

BW, just a minor point. I know you didn't say we would only run the ball. But I think where we differ is in what you call the focal point of the offense. I used the Carolina Panthers as an example and will again. The RBs are the primary weapon the Panthers use to control the clock and move the ball. They use their O and D lines to wear the opponents down. But they win when their QB and WRs make plays. That's all I'm saying. We did control the line of scrimmage in many of our games, and PJ had a great year. What killed us though was we couldn't make the big plays in the passing game. So I still say next year's success depends on the QB and also the WRs. The running game to me is a given.

Re: FWIW...I tend to agree with Chili.....

Excellent post nc jacket. What was missing last year was a medium to long passing threat to force defenses to play us honestly. Another way of looking at it is that we were not a comeback team and this was particularly true the last half of the season after our opponents had figured out how to defense us.

Reggie seemed to regress as the season progressed but I think part of that was that other teams knew our short comings and they forced Reggie to throw passes that he was not comfortable with. Another thing about Reggie that was a liability was his combative attitude such as he showed in the UGA game and subsequently got injured and thus became a non factor. He has to mature and control his emotions if we are going to be effective against the better teams. And he just may do that since we have excellent coaches to groom him.

Another thing that I'm excited about is the competition from Carter that was hinted at by our coaches recently.

NcJacket and Bigbuck ..... I totally

agree..If you will notice in posts I made after the ugag game..That Reggie playing like A TRUE FRosh. Missing Two Obvoius (Wide open recievers0 on two different series meaning we lost 2 touchdowns we could of and WOULD of had with an Experienced QB...

But, My main point IS and IS Fact....In our Offense under Chan Gailey you wont see us slinging it up and down the field like Rivers and Nc State or Bowden and Clemson...that is just Not Chan's MO and I for one Love His style....P.J. led the ACC in Rushing and we will see a lot of RB's for GT lead the ACC in rushing in future years...That is why my Offensive players to have a Breakout year Are Sampson and Grant...I feel at the very least one of these guys will Step up and be the Homerun Threat Hollings was 2 years back..We will be a lot more Dangerous on Offense with a Homerun threat at RB....P.J. was AWESOME but he lacks the Homerun threat that Hollings gave us....For the few games Hollings played for us..We were unstoppable on Offense....Im NOT saying to forget about P.J. but that Gailey is counting on having some speed to compliment P.J....Imho... If all 3 backs stay healthy I believe this Offense will explode and ALL we will need is just some natural maturation on Reggie's part...Some of us including myself Forget that he played as a True Frosh. and will have his FIRST spring here to work on things...I think that Paul Hewitt even mentioned that Reggie will only get better...I believe that will be the case and if not Carter may be an answer....BOTH Qb's have a spring to work on things and we will progress at thye QB position imho.. 3 very productive RB's will take a LOT of pressure off our STILL young QB's also....

Re: NcJacket and Bigbuck ..... I totally

How well I do remember the two open receivers running downfield wide open and Reggie missed them both times. But earlier in the season against Auburn he had a similar situation and hit the WR in the hands for a long gain to the Tigers 15 yard line after they ran our guy down from behind. And still on another occasion later on he hit Curry with a fade pass for a TD. These are just two examples and I could offer more where Reggie was performing so much better early on than he did the last half of the season.
Teams were pressuring Reggie more at seasons end and trying to force the kid to beat them when he would lock on to one receiver when he would have others open and consequently drives were stalled as a result.

My point was that no team can be one dimensional in FB today
and have great success. I like the run first philosophy but there will invariably will be times when our team will be behind and our running game isn't prospering and we will need the passing game to pick us up if we are going to entertain any hope of winning. Reggie also had quite a number of passes batted down at th LOS but that can be corrected by the coaches. I remember when we were playing UGA in Athens the year we broke their winning streak early in the game Little Joe had a few of his passes blocked at the LOS and The Fridge told Joe to take six to eight step drops instead of the three to five and UGA didn't block another of Joe's passes.

I too share your excitement about the potential of our running game with an array of talented RB's and from what Chan has said I think he intends to utilize The Cox kid from PA. at RB because he should be very effective on short yardage since he weighs 250 with good speed. But in my opinion the KEY for us to have a fine season is dependent on improved play at the QB position.

With the influx of fine defensive linemen and other fine recruits I feel we will have the quality depth to surprise some people if our field general position is solid.

BW, I agre we'll be run first, and I prefer that type of offense. My point is that if our breakout year is a RB, we won't win as many games as we want. More explosiveness from the RB position will help, although we also need PJs ability to punish the defense. But we won't win if our QB play doesn't improve considerably. And I bet Chan would agree with me on this.

I also feel Reggie needs to develop to the next level. I trust the coaching staff will work very hard with him to improve upon his reads and touch on the passes. In the UGAg game imho Reggie was too hyper and was trying to win the game alone as well as the trash talking got inside of his head.
Our running game should again be stout even with the O line losses for CCG understands the running game. My main complaint with the running game was our inability to take it to house when we were deep in the red zone but with some of the recruits we should improve.

Go Jackets!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

A \"breakout\" year next year ........

will include: 1. our quarterback, 2. Grant, 3. C.J., 4. Richard 5. Curry.
P.J. will continue to improve, as will Henderson and our other D.E.(possibly a break-out of sorts here). The "whole" Defense. The O line. And our kicking game. More games are won and lost by the kicking or lack thereof than is scarcely imagined. (JOM'sO)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/boom.gif

The one guy who HAS GOT to produce big is Nate Curry.(assuming the QB can hit him)I would hate to depend on a true FR in SJ for a receiving game.With a weak passing game those 3rd downs are 3rd and 4 instead of 3rd and 1.Poor offense puts a lot of pressure on the Def.Its a domino effect.
A lot of players could make BIG strides but Curry HAS TO.

On offense: Sampson, Dunlap, and Cooper

On defense: Hall, Wheeler, and Davis

Nate Curry

I appreciate your logic but beg to differ. Nate will wind up being an extraordinary compliment to our offense. The tight-end over the middle when you least expect it kind of guy. Our offense will be so far removed from keying on a receiver. Even Calvin Johnson.

CCG & Co. are developing an awesome team and package that can immediately compete in the "new"ACC" for the league championship.

Get used to it. It is coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink2.gif

Re: Nate Curry

Who do we go to when it 3rd and 10? That's where the real job is .Curry at this pont is that guy .Not a complement guy,THE GUY.

Re: Nate Curry

You're right, he is THE guy as of today. But IMO he needs to really step it up if he wants to stay THE guy. He was pretty invisible in a number of games last year. I think he has the talent, what he needs is more attitude. Hopefully he'll have several guys pushing him to show us what he's really capable of.

The Great Nate

No way Nate is our offense next year. He'll be an integral part of it but absolutely no way this team hangs their hat on Nate.

I'm glad you like him, etc., but you need to get a grip.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noob.gif

Re: The Great Nate

I don't think that's what he's saying Gnats. What I took him to be saying is that you have to have somebody to make the big play in the passing game, especially on 3rd and long, and in his opinion Nate is that guy. I agree that we have to have somebody (or several somebodies) who you can count on ala Kelly Campbell to keep the chains moving and to let you run the ball more effectively. The question is who will it be. Nate should get the first shot.

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that chilidogking has a breakout year on offense as he is able to beat his own personal best time of ten chili dogs in 5 minutes. That's a pretty impressive stat. Especially when you consider all the extra chili, sauerkraut, onions, and mustard on each dog. I mean they don't even factor that stuff into the times anymore. There's a big difference between a guy putting down 10 dogs barely dipped in chili and then 10 dogs covered in the works. Who wouldn't want this guy in their offensive game plan?

On defense I would have to predict that yours truly will be defending the kegs and coolers as well as any wet bars better than any fan on Game Day. last year I turned in a personal best of 3 kegs, 10 bottles of wine, my 5th of rum, 3 coolers full of beer and mixers, and a tailgate of hard liquor over a 4 hour time period. If you were there you should have seen it. Not one person that wasn't a part of that particular tailgate was able to come within 10 feet of our drinks. And they tried, but the defense was tenacious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to be the first to say that i believe BOR had already drunk about 8 botttles of wine, 2 six packs of beer, and a barrel of rum when he wrote this post.

Please forgive him for not understanding.

Actually, his post was pretty accurate. He was talking about the fans who would have the greatest break-out seasons. I plan on downing a solid dozen chilidogs prior to the UConn game. Unfortunately I will have a tough time finding something to wash the dogs down with since BOR will be guarding every drink on campus.

We're truly legends in our own time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

P. Carter will start next year ....

if R. Ball struggles, Pj will have another great year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/withstupid.gif
The whole defense.

Re: P. Carter will start next year ....

I think that in order for Nate to be the go to guy then Reggie will have to look his way more. Reggie looked for Smith last year only, hopefully in the offseason he will learn to check down and look for different receivers. If he does this I don’t think any receivers will have break out years. PJ will have another solid year regardless. The D-line should be very entertaining. I can't wait!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Last year, there was one play that worked great for Reggie. It was two WR's running to the same side of the field, one fairly deep and one not so deep, but both in the same line of sight. Reggie could watch both at the same time and throw to the one which got open.

I think that Reggie will do much better this coming season. He was trying all last season to move up to the huge increase of the speed of the game. He did not have time to look at secondary receivers. Thus it was to his main man, Smith, or scramble. This is an exageration, but I just wanted to make the point that timing, and vision should improve this coming season in such a way that the receivers could be spread out all over the field, and Reggie pick up his secondary receiver.

I'd like to see PJ have about 1500 yards next year and another back add an additional 500-700. Pipe dream, I know, but that would do wonders for recruiting some backs if they knew they would get to be the man.

Back