Who will have a break-out season next year?

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
I think Grant, Calvin J, Houston, pick any young LB and place him here, and K. Belcher will give us alot to look forward to next year. I also see Gerris leading our front 7. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

I think with our increased talent at the D-Tackle spot keeping opponents' middle of the line more occupied, and with Eric Henderson likely to get a lot of double-teaming at one DE, I expect Travis Parker, who is getting switched to the other DE per our coaches, to really shine and pick up some sacks this year. I'll go on record now as saying T. Parker will be at least 2nd team All-ACC next year.

Here is my prediction...I will name 2 on Off. and

2 on defense...

Offense: M.Sampson and R.Grant

Defense: T.Parker and G.Wilkinson..

Re: Here is my prediction...I will name 2 on Off. and

Better be a QB or we're headed for trouble IMO. Hopefully Reggie is ready to shine, but if not, somebody else better step in.

Re: Here is my prediction...I will name 2 on Off. and

Man, I hate to say it. I like Reggie's aggressive and confident attitude, but we need a passing game. We can't lay it all on P. J. and the o-line.

Guys, While i agree we need more production out of the QB position and I cant help but believe we will be better at QB, You better get used to it: QB is not the focal point and never will be in Chan's offense..Running Back is...As almost all articles you read are how wherever he has been Chan has built his offense's around a Running Back (i.e Emmitt smith, Jerome Bettis) and the running game...We will not have the arena style game of passing up and down the field....That is fine with me as long as we WIN..We are headed towards an Lsu type offense ( Mauck did not have the numbers a Manning or Rivers had BUT He Played the way Reggie will have to play..Very few mistakes and very Conservative) and the way the NFL has headed..Ball control with a very strong defense....Ala Carolina Panthers.....

Well if that's the case BW (more ball control offense), then we've GOT to have a breakout year from AT LEAST one O-lineman. Two of our best just left us.

Also, what about P-J?? He WAS the breakout story last year. He's certainly not the type to fade into the background. If someone is going to beat him out (especially after the year he had last year) then it's gonna take a REAL breakout year from at least one RB!

All in all, we're gonna have to see quite a few step it up on the offensive side of the ball!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

QB

Reggie really needs to get his passing game going, if he has breakout year our team will have a HUGE year on offense. We can dish it out to CJ for a jump ball and throw a laser at Curry. Then we can run draws and power play w/ PJ.

If we have a good/better than decent passing game our offense will be stellar.

On Defense i look to see KAmicheal Hall have an enourmous year. I also want to see Guyton the frosh have a nice year, from what i hear he has speed like Fox.

On offense: I look for PJ to give us more of the same. Reggie will make improvements in his passing game and decision making. PJ will give way to Grant on many 3rd down situations. Break out years from Grant, C. Johnson (freshman), and finally D. Bilbo (who will have had time to learn the position).

On Defense: defensive line continues to improve and will help inexperienced LB's cover for mistakes. More of same good play at safety position. Break out years from K. Scott, and R. Houston. I see a boatload of INT's coming. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

How can Carter have a breakout year if he is the backup QB? Do you think he will challenge Reggie for the starting job? He might. Will he maybe play some WR like Bilbo?

I agree that K. Scott will have a breakout year on D.

[ QUOTE ]
How can Carter have a breakout year if he is the backup QB? Do you think he will challenge Reggie for the starting job? He might. Will he maybe play some WR like Bilbo?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let you know after spring practice. I think he could start some next year.

My guess is that chilidogking has a breakout year on offense as he is able to beat his own personal best time of ten chili dogs in 5 minutes. That's a pretty impressive stat. Especially when you consider all the extra chili, sauerkraut, onions, and mustard on each dog. I mean they don't even factor that stuff into the times anymore. There's a big difference between a guy putting down 10 dogs barely dipped in chili and then 10 dogs covered in the works. Who wouldn't want this guy in their offensive game plan?

On defense I would have to predict that yours truly will be defending the kegs and coolers as well as any wet bars better than any fan on Game Day. last year I turned in a personal best of 3 kegs, 10 bottles of wine, my 5th of rum, 3 coolers full of beer and mixers, and a tailgate of hard liquor over a 4 hour time period. If you were there you should have seen it. Not one person that wasn't a part of that particular tailgate was able to come within 10 feet of our drinks. And they tried, but the defense was tenacious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif

I think you misread what the Panthers and most NFL teams are doing these days BW. I agree we won't pass the ball 40 times a game and put everything on the QBs shoulders, but we have to be able to throw it effectively and throw it down the field to stretch the defense. That's exactly what the Panthers did this year. Those "experts" who said they could only run the ball were proven wrong in the Super Bowl. The Panthers actually had more 20+ yd passing plays in the regular season than the Rams did. That's what our QB has to give us. The ability to burn the defense when they stack up to stop the run. If we can't do that, our offense will be no more effective than last year and we will once again be a middle of the road team.

We HAD a breakout year by a RB last year. QB is what held us back. So we need better QB play and more big plays from our WRs.

Pretty much agree with nc on this one. If Reggie can crossover from being an excellent ATHLETE to an excellent QB, we will be fine. He must master the long ball difficulties of last year that were easily the equal of 2 ballgames. THWG

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let you know after spring practice. I think he could start some next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

The AJC mentioned that Carter had passed Suggs on the depth chart by the end of last year but we kept the redshirt on him when Reggie got hurt. This indicates to me that Carter has a lot of potential for improvement, and Gailey did indicate that he's open to suprises with all the starting jobs... I think he'll start whoever he thinks has the better shot, be it an improved Reggie or an improved Pat.

FWIW...I tend to agree with Chili.....

I intentially left Reggie off...Im not 100% convinced that Reggie may be the QB.....

By the way NC...Ive NEVER said we run the ball without passing...At NO level can you do that and Chan said that Pre-Auburn game..he said we could line up AND stop the Run if we had too. we lined up and made Auburn One dimensial and Killed em...What WE need from our QB in this system (To be Like Mauk from Lsu and not anther Phillip Rivers slinging it all over the field)...But what I dont wont to see (I dont think I will...For the most part the whiners have left this board) somebody whining..Gee jolly me.What is wrong with our Offense...We just won a game and some pessimist is crying about us not scoring enough points to be sexy..We need our QB to run our offense and not be the focal point....that is the way it has ALWAYS been in Chan's offenses...Centered on a RB and not the QB..Everywhere you read that has been the case. ...When we win games like 7-6 (i.e.this years Maryland game) And 17-16 or such..Because that is the type team we ARE and WILL be under Gailey....No more 41-38 type losses we saw under the past coach.(I DONT mean that as a slam against Oleary...I grew tired of seeing us Sling it all over the field and have our Defense on the field all the time getting killed. That would be the unordinary us being in a shootout and the ordinary will be low scoring wins against Good teams and Big Blowouts over weak teams like we saw in this past years Bowl victory...That just is the type team we will be....Bottom line IS Just Win Baby...

IMHO...The QB battle will be interesting..
Im with Chili on that.Im not so sure Carter does not win the job......I also think over the next 1 to 2 years we WILL sign a stud QB..If Gailey can land a Calvin Johnson (as Jaime said the most high profile Recruit by GT since D.Steagall) Gailey can Land that Big Time QB also. The piece in the Ajc this last week said we were not able to land a more Highly Ranked QB than the Two we had Because of Reggie being a Frosh....Hey Reggie Ball may become a very Good Field General for us...It is all about Competition and we will have a better picture after Spring...Let's not forget the 2 not so highly rated QB's we signed..George Godsey wasnt highly rated and we all know how good he turned out to be..So who knows!!!!

Reggie really needs to be working on his mechanics

in the offseason. He was very inconsistent and must develop the ability to hit the open receiver. His arm is strong enough and God knows he can run the football when needed. Work hard, Reggie.

I'm going Grant, Belcher, G-Wilk, and you wouldn't consider this a breakout year, but I think PJ is gonna be HUGE next year. I think Wrotto will play well too.

[ QUOTE ]
I think Grant, Calvin J, Houston, pick any young LB and place him here, and K. Belcher will give us alot to look forward to next year. I also see Gerris leading our front 7. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Offensively, we need Kenton Johnson, Darius Williams and/or George Cooper, and Nate Curry to have break out years.

Defensively, we need Anyansi and any other two LB's to have a break-out year. You may see either Dennis Davis or Kenny Scott break out. I personally think Parker and Anoai will be big-time next season.

Back