Where's all the Parade All-Americans Tenn signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Where\'s all the Parade All-Americans Tenn signed?

An interesting article from the Tennessean that discusses the inexact science of recruiting. Very interesting comments from Phillip Fulmer on this subject. You're certainly better off getting some of these guys (A-As), but it sure gives hope to the teams not getting the A-As.
The piece is a good read for anyone enjoying recruiting:

Where is Tennessee's Parade A-As?

Gtace...I read that article yesterday also as ive

seen so many other articles proving the same COMMON thing...So often the recruiting rankings are bogus..If it was an exact science Notre Dame would be top 10 every year or at the very least top 20 every year....Again, I want someone to prove to me that Bobby Ross signed more than 1 top 25 recruiting class out of the 5 he signed according to the so- called recruiting experts.( im not talking about some article someone writes about how great those players were AFTER they had been here..The FACT is They were not highly ranked coming out of HS.... ...Bobby Ross actually said that ..I remember that vividly him saying that he didnt need the Recruits that were TOP ranked..He just needed good players and QUOTE "Not necessarily the most highest ranked according to the recruiting magazines".. ..Im not so sure he even signed 1 top 25 recruiting class..YET..He wins a MNC...I remember how ugag got all the press from the local ugag/sec media about how great their classes were under Goff..So I called into Ray Goff's call-in- show one Sunday night and He didnt know of many of GT Recruits (At least he wouldnt admit to knowing of them...I asked him about Jeff Howard..Shawn Jones backup..He didn't even Know the name) He admitted to recruiting Shawn Jones but NOT any of the others heavily and I ragged him about it..Some of the few that were Familiar names in HS rankings were Swilling and Shawn Jones...A lot of the others were not..Yet they beat ugag and won a MNC...

Re: Gtace...I read that article yesterday also as ive

In general I agree with you that you can put too much faith in the recruiting services. I think they do a fairly good job of picking some of the very best players in HS, but that after the top tier it's much more of a crap shoot. However, I don't think you can totally dismiss them either. A top 20 class is probably better than a top 40 in terms of raw talent. That doesn't mean the team will win more, just that the coach may have more to work with. That said, I'm pretty happy with the kids we've signed and will be even happier when we add a couple here at the end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbup.gif

Bottom line though is you don't win any games during recruiting season, but you do add to your arsenal.

I think most college coaches would agree with

both of us...Fulmer said He gets info. from the recruiting services and that is the extent of it...They are good souces of information i.e When GT signs a player I can go to the various magazine or site and get his Various numbers Ht./Wt. 40 time exct..ALTHOUGH it has been proven this year you have to take THIS info. with a grain of salt as 40 times are often way off as is Wt....I STILL think the most important thing for a school like GT IS: To have an NFL type Coach i.e. Ross and Gailey to be the best judge of talent..As the pool of players we have to target is somewhat limited as compared to an Fsu..Due to Academic restrictions...imho...Another point I would like to make IS: What I like SO much about Gailey's recruiting IS the philosophy of recruiting Defense FIRST..In just the short 2.5 years he has been here The Dlineman he is bringing has NOT been done by ANY previous coach here... that IS FACT...A poster can accuse me because of personal reasons of making things up as I go..but that is a Lie...I HAVE followed GT now for 40+ years and NO HC here has brought in the Dlineman as Gailey has...And just Look at the Big 3 we are still in the hunt for...There HAS to be a COMMITTMENT to Defense and not just lip service to it..Oleary always used the term War daddies (referring to Big Bad Dlineman) but never did bring them in..I dont know if it was that he wasnt coomitted to it (As Ralph seemed to get all the lineman over on the Offensive side) OR as he admitted (He said GT had difficulty bringing in DLineman as there were just so few available) he just wasn't good enough to persuade them to come to GT.imho it was a combo of both...Well Chan has...i.e. Wrotto,Newberry,Anoai,Oliver,Brown,Smith,Brezina,Anyabie..(I have probably left some off).And again , look at the 3 studs we still have a shot at....This bodes well for our future..You can spin my tune anyway you want..Im with the Jimmie Johnson school of thought..You win games with Dlineman....outside of QB..The most important position on the field...The fact that we are in it with these big 3 recruits Shows that they recognize Gailey's committment to Defense!!!!

Re: Where\'s all the Parade All-Americans Tenn signed?

I don't know Ace, but I saw several of them in the playoffs and Super Bowl. THWG

Re: Gtace...I read that article yesterday also as ive

Once again BW, with a good bit of research I think you are going to find that our '90 team was indeed highly recruited by other major programs. Not sure about what mags/services etc. said about them, but the most important ranking factor by far, other offers, will put into perspective for you how these guys were NOT "hidden gems" etc. Actually, our class last year by and large had offers from other majors, and so far it has been apparent on the field. THWG

BW...

BW... I'm not really saying you make things up as you go along, but I do think you often skew facts and the past to further your own arguement. I also think you speak in generalizations way too much and you rarely back up your opinions. I did not mean for you to feel insulted by it. It was more of a challenge to you to start adding some substance in your posts instead of saying "so and so agrees with me". I don't care if the Pope agrees with you if the evidence isn't there. As I'm slowly beginning to find out regarding Ross's recruits, there were some real studs in the class. I will report when I get all the info.

lets all agree

on a few things:

1. An NFL-wise coach has seen college kids come in and then be turned into NFL men. That means these coaches must be able to INFER the future of the player based on height, weight, agility, personality, performance under stress, etc, etc. This type of coach has had to judge between two or three players that are very close in ability, so the keenness of their evaluation has been trained to a higher degree. A coach with this type of experience would seem to have an advantage in recruiting players that with the proper training, both physical and mental, could be GREAT players in a years time. This is what Gailey has said he is doing. Not that he wont take a guy projected to contribute right away, but those guys are being recruited by EVERY TEAM IN THE COUNTRY. True impact DLs are rare, and precious. To best serve the athletes and university of Georgia Tech, it is better to recruit athletes that may end up contributing after their first or second year of eligibility, but they are getting a great degree at the same time as Gailey is making the calls to his friends in the Sunday league

2. While we might argue which class or classes were the best ever signed, i think we can agree that getting commitments from, in the last few years: Kingi McNair (after recruiting was over and Gailey was late), RBall, KScott, RGrant, CJohnson, DBrown, and to be in on more and more fantastic prospects and to keep increasing our coverage of key states through changes in the staff (TX, FL, GA, PA, LA...) is highly encouraging and seems to be gaining momentum. I feel very secure that in 2-3 years we will be consistently signing our share of the 5-star recruits

3. Go Jackets, and lets all hope for some surprises tomorrow - i think there will be some

Re: BW...

[ QUOTE ]
BW... I'm not really saying you make things up as you go along, but I do think you often skew facts and the past to further your own arguement. I also think you speak in generalizations way too much and you rarely back up your opinions. I did not mean for you to feel insulted by it. It was more of a challenge to you to start adding some substance in your posts instead of saying "so and so agrees with me". I don't care if the Pope agrees with you if the evidence isn't there. As I'm slowly beginning to find out regarding Ross's recruits, there were some real studs in the class. I will report when I get all the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bor i am real busy right now and might not get back to posting for a few days..BUT I could only come up with a 1991 GT Media Guide i saved it was falling apart due to age) but I am going to compile that years (Ross's final class) Recruits info. and post it for you..Just give me a little time...i had an unexpected guest show up yesterday..You guys probably have noticed that I often Post in a hurry and screw some of my words up...BUT the jist of what i was trying to say: WAS That I have followed GT Football real closely for years and I NEVER remembered Ross having top 20 or top 25 Classes in recruiting..BUT YES and YES He got good players YOU BET HE DID...But outside Swilling and Donnie Davis...99% of his recruits were not ranked as High as i.e. Calvin Johnson,David Brown,Darryl Robertson,Kenny Scott,Rashawn Grant,Darryl Richard (hopefully we get Brandon Miller and we can add him to that list...) Of course the Recruiting Rankings 13 Years ago were not as sophisticated as they are today...But, let me give you an example...Each year I buy the Preseason Magazines (Lindy's Street & Smith,Athlons..Exct.) Back then you could look at those Magazines and see the top rated recruiting classes from the February Signing classes...GT to my knowledge was NEVER up there in the top 20 or 25 Classes...I am using that as my Barometer...That is about all you had back then to judge it on...I used to get frustrated seeing that GT's Classes were not top 25...I learned from the 1990 MNC that you could just Throw those rankings out the window ONCE Toe met Leather in Sept...So please dont take it that Im trying to lie..Christian's Honor this is the way I feel !!!!!

I was thinking last night (Dont take this the wrong way ) That YOU were probably between the Ages of 10-15 Years old Back in 1987 when Ross was here...And I was in my 30's..I now have an Athlete Son that is 14 And thought Typical Teenagers do NOT follow recruiting like 20,30 and 40 year old men do...my Son Bleeds White and Gold and Plays for a GT Great...But all he wants to know when Sept..Rolls around ARE who are the new guys...How good or they can they score a TD or get a sack...in other words he has NO clue to what went on in the recruiting process or What the various magazines/newspapers said about our recruits..Bottom line IS Let's watch em play...So what im suggesting is that Maybe Since i was a little older than you back then and I was focused on some intangibles OFF the Field That I noticed the recruiting back then more so than you...Please dont take that the wrong way...I feel 100% Confident on the Fact That our Classes under Ross were not ranked as High as the Fsu's,ugag's, Alabama's, Auburn's and some 20 more teams on a consistent basis...I will get back with you on that 91 class soon though...AND YES ROSS'S Kids were studs that other programs passed on ....Peace !!!!

After the Heated exchange between Bor..

and me ...i will not post asain on the subject...The mod's would agree That this issue needs to be dropped...I have the 1991 Media Guide and some Thoughts and additional comments but i will leave it alone...But in the interest of this Board and all fans here i will leave it alone...

By the Way: Bobby Ross is my Alltime favorite GT Head Coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back