WANTED: OC FOR GT!!**

I know thats the obvious answer but until Chan has his own class playing for him and our team matures we don't know he can't get the job done as OC.

He's done it for so long I'm sure it's no distraction for him. I think we have an interesting game plan today if the team had executed.

Would a "Ralph-like" OC be able to do any better under the present circumstances?

Please Take Tommy Tubberville!
pat.gif

Originally posted by gnats67:
Would a "Ralph-like" OC be able to do any better under the present circumstances?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">YES!!!

See Norm Chow with Phillip Rivers his freshmen year.

At GT, a hc has too many other responsibilities. Why not get a very good OC? What's the harm?

BizzyBee, in your defense, I think it would be better overall for Tech if Nix was the OC and ran the offense.

It is my personal opinion, a head coach needs to spend his entire time with a microscope on all components of the team. He needs to let the coaches handle the different parts of the team and he can guide them into his style of play.

It is no secret as to my opinion of the biggest problem with this and last year's team. I have consistently stated it since last year.

It has been rumored that Gailey runs the offense and leaves the defense completely up to Tenuta. I think that is a big mistake. It is a good possibility that the defense suffers at time because Gailey does not have his eye on it enough.

I keep hearing how the defense is the backbone of this team. It is, when it performs well, but it is the downfall of the team when it is not performing well. The defense has been very erratic since last year.

Maybe the same thing happens with the kicking game and special teams. Maybe Gailey is too busy with the offense to see the mistakes made in practice on the special teams.

It appears proper to me for the head coach to watch all phases of the game and pick up on all the little things that could be corrected in each phase of the game. He could then relay that information to each coach to correct that particular problem and offer the expertise to correct it.

Father Time

Great point, ahso! I remember when CG was lst hired, he said he wanted to coach special teams. Now, how in the heck can he do any one thing well when he wants to be HC, OC, and special teams coach? Nix for OC would certainly be better, I feel, than what is going on now. Studying tapes is a crucial element of preparation. Again, how can he do it all and do any one thing well?

You are right. He needs mainly to be an overseer...being sure that each coach is preparing correctly and that the kids are directed on right path. HE ALSO HAS TO KEEP KIDS CONCENTRATING ON STUDIES.

We have heard that playbook is thin cause of frosh qb. He is no longer a frosh qb and the playbook needs to get a bit thicker. We are much too predictable. I am just so frustrated.

I hope recruiting is going well and that we can get our total allotment of talented players this year!

From Macon Telegraph Sun, Oct. 19, 2003

"Gailey has so much confidence in Tenuta that he rarely contributes to the defensive game plan.

"I don't even have to go over there and talk or go into meetings or even ask," Gailey said. "He's nice enough to say, 'Do you like this?' But I ask him if he likes it, and he says, 'Yeah,' so I tell him to do it."

End Quote

Straight from the horse's mouth, good or bad Tenuta is the man responsible for the performance of the defense not Gailey.

The plain truth is that if our defense does not play lights out good then we do not win. We have only won one game (NC State) in which we have given up more than 17 points.

We have only scored over 20 points in three games and one of those was only because we went into overtime. This offense is for better or worse Gailey's responsibility and it has performed well below expectations.

Originally posted by wdestinger:
Please Take Tommy Tubberville!
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Huh? You don't mean to take him as our coach do you? That guy has the same problem as Chan where he seems to periodically decide to get blown out in a game that people think his team might be able to win. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that Tubs and Gailey are brothers.

Losing to Duke is the most pathetic thing I could have ever imagined. Getting blown out by Duke is still impossible for me to fathom. Hopefully I will wake up tomorrow and it will turn out that this was all a bad dream.

I agree JTS. Right now when John Tenuta sneezes, the Tech football program catches a cold. The only way we'll win any of the last 3 games is if the defense finds it's Maryland/Wake Forest form again. This was a game we desperately needed the offense to bail out a struggling defense and it didn't happen. The 3 headed offensive coordinator system isn't working. It's funny that somebody mentioned that Taylor Bennett must be a good quarterback prospect because he's being recruited by Boise State and their high-powered offense. The offensive coordinator of Boise State is Chris Petersen. He was the person I wanted after O'Brien left.

Back