"Vick's in the Cradle" - Absolutely Hilarious

Re: \"Vick\'s in the Cradle\" - Absolutely Hilarious

good stuff. I laughed til my sides hurt and then laughed some more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif

Re: Funny?

jacketup, just curious. Is your feeling about VaTech due to this situation? of a more general feeling?

Personally I think Va Tech should have been in the ACC years ago. They fit geographically and their fans really are ACC fans. Don't know about ATL area but in the rest of the ACC region (NC, VA, MD) you run into Va Tech people everywhere you go.

I'd say they fit in with the SEC better than the ACC; they're only good at football (and that is debatable).

ccujacket sums it up, they are a better fit in the SEC, but I'd rather have most any SEC school.

Academically, they are like the SEC. VPI, and not UVa, is the large State U. for the masses in Virginia. Unlike most SEC schools, however, they have no athletic tradition. Their football success is recent, and will be gone when Beamer retires, if not sooner, due to Groh's recruiting.

VPI brings NOTHING to the table, except bad press. People WILL confuse that Tech with this Tech, which will only erode our reputation.

VPI in the ACC is sickening.

They were something like 110th in the Sears Cup standings two years ago. They are aweful at everything except FB and they are good, but not great at that. I was very suprised to see them added to the ACC. Geographically they fit but that is about it. VA pretty much strong armed the ACC into letting them in. They are a large school and hopefully they can start to improve in all of their other sports. I think they have already started, but they have a really long way to go.

The state will pour the money in and Va Tech will improve their overall sports program. And for those who think their football program will disppear when Beemer leaves I invite you to spend a Saturday in Blacksburg. They have more fan interest and support than we would ever hope for. I know people who drive across the state for every home game and follow them to most away games.

This sort of reminds me of when we joined the ACC and Tech people predicted we would dominate. In case you've forgotten we pretty much sucked in everything when we joined the league.

The only Va Tech game I have ever seen was a bunch of years back they were playing Alabama. Don't remember the score but Bama beat them by like 70 points maybe a few less. It was not a very memorable game from a VT or Bama point of view. Their football sucess is recent and I believe it is already starting to erode.

NCJacket, I hope i didn;'t misread your post and apologize if I did, but uf you think the state of VA is going to pour money into VT or any public school its just not the case. UVA, VT, and William and Mary have lost so much funding in the past years they've applied for charter status, abandoning their true public school roots. VT has a long road to go if they want to be a competitor b/c they won't get any public money. I think the money they do raise will go where it should---towards their academic mission.

You could very well be right, but I don't see the Gov. backing off after making the ACC take Va Tech and watching them become the laughingstock of the league. UVA has raised serious cash for athletics outside of the state govt., so Va Tech has a blueprint to follow.

Back