The Days of Dodd

One of the best memories of my life was Bobby Dodd being the speaker at my GT graduation.

We didn't need no stinking politician or captain of industry.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But 50 years ago, the landscape was totally different. He felt we would start becoming like Tulane or Vandy in thr SEC. You do realize programs like Bama, Auburn and Tennessee were not only signing sometimes in excess off 100 guys a year, but were blatantly and openly cheating. At that time, the service academies and Notre Dame carried a great deal of prestige, and he felt a schedule with those teams, supplemented by playing Auburn and Georgia would give Tech a better shot.

Not only was Tech struggling because of academic requirements, but also in facilities. About the only way to continuing to play at a high level in the SEC was for the BOR to give in some academically, and that wasn't happening. Cliff notes version: Dodd knew Tech was hamstrung, and that was what he thought was best
I think Awburn hated GT and BD because he turned them in for violations (recruiting and otherwise) in the late 50's. They voted against GT in everything after that.

I think Awburn hated GT and BD because he turned them in for violations (recruiting and otherwise) in the late 50's. They voted against GT in everything after that.
From what I understand, that had a lot to do with it. That, and the fact that Dodd never consented to play them anywhere but Grant Field for years.

Auburn has always been about the most unscrupulous program going. They have such Alabama envy, they would (and did) do almost anything to compete.

Back