Swofford says that We will probably name

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
the Host city for the ACC Championship game by the end of this summer...

Of the 3 main contenders (Orlando, Jacksonville, Charlotte)

My 1st choice is Orlando (Being right in the Middle of the best HS football state and with all the Attractions) Warm December weather..

2nd Choice is Jacksonville (Still in Florida but close proximity for all the ACC Teams..Although the December weather is not as nice as Orlando)..

But Anywhere in Florida is better than Charlotte...Weather wise ....And the added hype down in Fla. only helps the ACC in recruiting Fla....

Thoughts???

I tend to favor Jacksonville.

In Jacksonville, the ACC title game would be the biggest game in town. Jacksonville is located right on I-95 and I-10, so it would be very easy for a majority of the schools to drive to. Even if it was in Charlotte, the norther teams would have to fly down anyway, so why not fly to Florida? For those who would want to go to Disney if the game were in Orlando, they can still drive to Disney if the game is in Jacksonville. The weather in Jacksonville would be much better than in Charlotte. The ACC has a long-standing relationship with the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville. The stadium is being upgraded in order to host the 2005 Super Bowl. There are quite a few Georgia Tech Alumni in the area around Jacksonville.

Plus, as you mentioned BW, the game being held in Florida can only help with recruiting down there for the entire conference.

The average daily high temperature in Jacksonville in December is 66, and the low is 44, (73 and 51 in november). Orlando averages about 6-7 degrees warmer. That's not really that much difference as far as climate goes, and remember the game would be at the beginning of December, so it would be closer to the 70's normally at that time. That's actually a pretty perfect temperature if you ask me.

The Problem With Jax

The problem with an ACC Championship in Jax is that the loser of the game will turn around and go to the Gator Bowl.

I would take Jacksonville over Charlotte anyday

As far as that goes I will take Any of the Mentioned Florida cities (Miami,Tampa,Orlando,Jacksonville) over Charlotte Anyday!!!!

I think, for the first game anyway, they will gamble on Charlotte. First, for geographical reasons, and second, because of the carowhina mafia.

Ive lurked on some of the other ACC boards the last 2 or 3 days and Besides the Carawhina Mafia trio...Most of the ACC is for a Florida site...Tampa and Orlando along with Jacksonville are the Favorites...I agree with most of what i Read...That somehow it will be tied to an additional ACC Bowl bid into either The Citrus or Outback Bowl...Meaning it could be rotated among 2 or 3 of the 3 Florida Cities (Orlando,Jax. and Tampa) Another interesting sentiment is that Since ABC/Espn cut the TV deal with the conference and they are owned by Disney that Orlando (With Stadium upgrades) will be a strong candidate...Again Orlando is my 1st choice!!

There has been a lot more discussion on the other ACC boards about this subject than here on the GT Board...

I read that Orlando would need something like 125 million dollar upgrade to make it an appealing site. But what is 125 million with these heavy rollers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hugelaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif I don't really have a preference between Orlando and Jacksonville though. But I think it does belong in Florida though.

Back