State of GT Athletics - Pretty Strong

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
So let's see if I have this right -

Top 6 in Golf.
Top 15 in Baseball (in a down year).
Top 2 in Men's Basketball.
Top 8 in Women's Basketball.
Top 8 in Women's Volleyball and won the ACC.

And just signed a lot of the football parts we need to have better depth and talent that we did last year.

So what happened to our graduating class from GT Football?

Out of 7 Starters we lost this year to graduation, 6 are now in the NFL. Plus Dorsey, who declared as an underclassman.

7 of 8 from last year's departing starters are now in the NFL.

Of the two academic casualties that declared for the draft - after only ONE YEAR each at their positions - both made the NFL.

2 of 2.

That makes 9 of 10 eligible football players. 8 of 9 for the upcoming NFL season.

Reilly - Tennessee
Foschi - New York (Jets)
J Smith - Buffalo
D Smith - Jacksonville
Fox - Kansas City
Dorsey - Minnesota
Cox - Chargers
Brown - give this man respect anyway

academic casualties to NFL declaration
Hargrove - Rams
Hollings - Texans

What a story to tell. 8 of 9 eligible GT players went to the NFL this year.

Greg Gathers would have, without health issues. Gathers is within 2 sacks of the All Time ACC Sack record after playing only 3 seasons and forgoing the fourth.

Within 2 of Julius Peppers with one year less time to do it. Didn't even need year four to beat all but about 2 of the rest of the entire ACC.

And what did he do when his health and NFL dreams were ripped from him? Went to school and graduated - like a man.

We actually stole recruits from FSU, UGA, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Nebraska, and Miami this year. All these schools gave written offers - not just interest - to GT commitments who spurned them for the Flats.

We are being mentioned already by some of the top recruits in the nation for next year's class.

We now have a conference with a Championship Game. The ACC has one more top 25 football team than the SEC in every list I've seen so far this year.

Two ACC teams were in the final four this year.

We have NO MAJOR NCAA INFRACTIONS in the history of our program.

'I think' we are back as the highest bowl winning percentage of all D-1 teams, but I'll have to check.

We are one of only five teams to have won each of the major four bowls - Rose, Orange, Sugar, and Cotton.

4 National Titles, 2 ACC Titles, 5 SEC titles, and a bunch of old fogey stuff from conferences that don't exist any more.

Our baseball team is one of only 4 in the country to make it to the playoffs 18 of the last 19 years (per a Clemson fan yesterday). Two of the other 3 are Miami and FSU - both ACC.

And our coaches all have a ton of class and are committed to running a Thug-Free program. (All GT recruits are randomly 'Thug-Tested' before and after being signed.)

Guys - we have a big time athletic program here, and not just football. We've got a hell of a story to tell every recruit in sight.

Not 100% correct RE: major infractions

Tech, in fact, has had one major NCAA infraction in our history. This happened in Men's Tennis between 1985 and 1988. Tech self-reported 23 violations to the NCAA infractions committee. The violations included the following:

[ QUOTE ]
EXTRA BENEFITS: payments to several student-athletes by head coach that exceeded the value of work performed; payments in advance of work constituted impermissible loans; personal funds provided by head coach for on-campus summer housing; improper annual award. IMPERMISSIBLE RECRUITING: impermissible employment in institutional tennis clinic; excessive compensation for work not performed; lodging in residences of head coach and several athletics representatives; local automobile transportation and meals provided by athletics representatives or family members; impermissible tryouts with athletics representative, assistant tennis coach and student-athlete on several occasions. IMPROPER FINANCIAL AID: excessive financial aid. ERRONEOUS CERTIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE.

[/ QUOTE ]

This information is from the major infractions database on NCAA.org. The entire public report from the violation is available to read on that website.

So while we've never had any major infractions in any major sport, we have had one in a Men's sport in the not too distant past. Tech handled it very well and immediately accepted the resignation of both the head coach and the assistant coaches, but it is still the only black mark on our sports programs.

Re: Not 100% correct RE: major infractions

I think technically we are one of 6 programs that have never been on probation.

Re: one clarification...

top 8 in the ACC /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Excellent report Techfowl. We've had a couple of rough years but I think things are starting to look up for the old White and Gold. If things work out the way CCG is planning this should be out last questionable year in football for some time, after this we will have our depth back and be able to expect pretty consistent 9 or so win seasons and get back to our rightful spot of national prominance.

RamblinPeck, not a critisism, but it's "Old Gold" and "White", not old white and gold...

Actually, after re-reading your post, I see how you may have meant it. I apologize for stepping on your toes.

Hey there NickGT,

This is where I got the Top 8 in women's B Ball.

Top 8 Link

[Greensboro, NC - Cotelia Bond-Young had a game-high 18 points and seven rebounds to lead No. 9 Wake Forest (12-16, 4-12 ACC) to a 61-59 victory over No. 8 Georgia Tech (14-15, 5-11 ACC) Friday morning at the Greensboro Coliseum. The win marked the third time this season that the Demon Deacons have defeated Georgia Tech, with all of the Jackets losses coming by a two-point margin. ]

Now that you mention it - if we were ranked 8 'before' a loss then we wouldn't be 'afterward.' Makes perfect sense, but I didn't read carefully enough.

I hate being wrong, but thanks for the correction.

TF

'course that is 8th in the conference. That isn't saying much. But I do think that M Joseph will get things turned around.

I really did 'fowl' things up on the women's b-ball didn't I?

Honest mistake. Thanks again.

Back