So for all puposes, our Linebackers just got a LOT

Better than Fox and Smith?

Hardly, we will be very hard pressed to replace those guys. I predict next year's starters will be Gerris in the middle backed by Nick Moore. On the outside I think we'll see a rotation of Tabugbo, Kamichael Hall, and Phillip Wheeler. Travis Chambers and Guyton will provide depth.

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE! I love schutting down other teams with 3 & outs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif
deutschland.gif

We could have signed spectacular LB's and they still may not be as great as those two.

Even *if* they are, they would be as good as Fox and Smith were as freshmen, not last year as Seniors.

We will be better at DL and DB, which will allow our talented LB's a bit of a cushion as they progress.

Will we have talented LB's? Yes. Fox and Smith. No. Could they reach that point? Possible - in time.

We will have a very different D next year because our talent, experience, and depth are at completely different positions next year. We should have a great D. Just a different one.

My understanding is Hall was VERY impressive on

the second team. We shall see how he compares to our last group of LBs. I hope you are surprised!

Eric williams was listed as a DB/LB and 6-3 225.

on one paper i saw yesterday...He can lay the wood from what I hear...We also have some Great sized DB's that CAN play some LB..Reiss has been rumored to see some PT at LB and Djay Jones at 6-1 and Roberson at 6-2 have great size. Not to mention Butler and Landrey that are Huge DB's (we have a lot of flexibility with our Roster to make moves to other positions)..So im not that worried at LB...Tenuta has a great rep. at putting guys in the right position to succeed...No doubt we will land some good LB's as the years go on..But I would much rather Land great Dlineman than any other position on Defense..I believe with what Chan has brought in at Dline ( more so than ANY prior GT Head Coach) the last 3 years will put us in a position to play for Championships down the road..

Re: Better than Fox and Smith?

[ QUOTE ]
Hardly, we will be very hard pressed to replace those guys. I predict next year's starters will be Gerris in the middle backed by Nick Moore. On the outside I think we'll see a rotation of Tabugbo, Kamichael Hall, and Phillip Wheeler. Travis Chambers and Guyton will provide depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gerris is an outside guy. Coach said he was a perfect fit for 'SAM', which is your strongside 'backer lining up over the TE. He'll start there and be the replacement for Ather Brown. Wheeler will probably back him up. Tugboat is listed in the middle right now, and may start the season there, but look out for Chambers. Much like Daryl Smith took the starting spot around the 3rd or 4th game his frosh year, I look for Chambers to do the same. The guy is wicked good - I was very impressed with his film. Nick Moore will also get a look here - I really don't know much about him on D - haven't seen him practice or play the position. Very impressed with Chambers. K-Mike will start at the other spot - he's fast and hits very hard. I look for Guyton to back him up.

In an isolated way, I don't think our linebackers got better - that was a great group. But, the weakness of our D last year was our lack of size and depth on the DLine. Moving Parker to D-End drastically changes that. With him at tackle, we were not only small at tackle, but at end with Gerris weighing only about 235. Now, we've got a bigger tackle (depending on who we pick), and a bigger, stud D-End in Parker. This will allow us to gamble less with our linebackers run-blitzing, etc...

So, I think our linebackers will be good - not as spectacular as last year, but maybe deeper. But the improved play at the DLine may have helped them out a whole bunch........

Re: Eric williams was listed as a DB/LB and 6-3 225.

Landry is to good to move from Safety, he is really a great player and can lay a lickin on receivers coming across the middle.

I definatly expect Hall to start next year. I love how his name is Micheal but with a KA in the front... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Also, Wilkerson will start on the outside, he is a great player /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

I really want to see Anyansi get some PT.

Speed is something we could really use at the LB position. Tenuta will be able to throw together a great D, he is a super Defensive coordinator

Lastly I want to see Chambers and maybe Guyton get some PT.

BOR, I think you totally misunderstand what I was

saying. Not that our LB's are suddenly better than last years, but compared to 48 hours ago with the addition of the best group of DL we have ever gotten.

Back