Recruiting Updates (Calvin Johnson, Rory Nicol, Amos Gblunbee)

LLCoolJacket, I disagree with you about the recruiting services. Damarius and others pay for the information. There are no strings attached to the subscriptions.

They are free to tell anyone the information they receive. In fact the point that they share the information is free advertising for the recruiting services and makes others want to subscribe.

Those that have the money and want to spend it on these subscriptions have every right to relay that information to others. If you buy a newspaper, you are not required to keep the news to yourself. You may share it with anyone you desire.

You are way off base on this topic.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
LLCoolJacket, I disagree with you about the recruiting services. Damarius and others pay for the information. There are no strings attached to the subscriptions.

They are free to tell anyone the information they receive. In fact the point that they share the information is free advertising for the recruiting services and makes others want to subscribe.

Those that have the money and want to spend it on these subscriptions have every right to relay that information to others. If you buy a newspaper, you are not required to keep the news to yourself. You may share it with anyone you desire.

You are way off base on this topic.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ahso,

What is the world coming to....you actually made a post that makes sense.

Can't you just see old crackerjacket out in his front yard talking to his neighber and crackerjacket says...."did you see that big story in the paper this morning?"....and his neighbor says..." no I don't take the paper, what was the story?"....and crackerjacket says...."I'm sorry, I paid for that paper and they worked hard to put it out....you'll have to go buy one yourself"!!!
pat.gif

What restrictions do the services place on subscribers? This should be the standard for promulgating information. Personally, I don't and won't subscribe for we are dealing with 18-20 year olds who change their collective minds daily. However, it does make for interesting topics in a sophmorish sort of way, ie this thread.
drinking.gif

FWIW, I would assume you're free to tell others what you've read on a premium site, but not to post the info directly or quote it. That may seem like a trivial difference but I think is in line with the terms of service.

ahso and beeware, nice try!

The newspaper anaolgy does not apply.

An analogy that does apply is a pay per view fight.
Lets say I spend $50 to watch Tyson eat Holyfield. I am allowed to invite all of the people I want to my house to watch the fight without additional expense to me.

However, if I am a bar owner, my expense to receive the fight will be MUCH higher based on the premise that not only do I in 99% of the cases have much more available room for more viewers, I also have the opportunity to profit from broadcasting the fight.

I see the pay per view as exclusive coverage. I see the premium recruiting site as exclusive information.

Your newspaper analogy makes sense when the recruiting site no longer has exclusive information. When it doesn't, the site owner no longer can charge a premium, because the information it does have is a commodity. Its that simple.

Do you think that the pay per view people would care if you were able to take the $50 signal you paid for your viewing in your home, but somehow (because you are a smart fellow) managed to split the signal to all 500 families in your neighborhood at no charge to those 500 homes?

You better believe it!

Even though ther are no controls to keep this from happening in the premium recruiting site world..... it doesn't make it right.
soapbox.gif

Originally posted by CrackerJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Thanks Damarius...Keep the updates coming and please tell us ALL you can from what the insiders say or quote the players as saying....I and many of us refuse to pay for their premium service and would appreciate all your info....You are a very good fan....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Black Watch,

That's a rather pathetic attitude. The guys who
gather that info make a real effort to put it
together. The folks at both Rivals and Insiders
spend time on the phone that could be spent with
family these days.

If you don't want to subscribe to any services,
then you should make yourself content with info that
is part of the public domain.

Damarius,

Don't let people milk your subscriptions to the
various services by claiming to be your friend or
lavishing you with praise and compliments. All
they are trying to do is find someone to leech off of.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Cracker, you must be on the payroll, and if you are, you should keep your biases to yourself. As long as you don't violate copyright laws there is NOTHING wrong with discussing this information UNLESS there is something in the specific agreement you accepted forbidding it.

I think perhaps CrackerJacket was just trying to protect the premium service's staff and I can understand that.

I don't know CrackerJacket personally; and I have no reason to speak for him. I just suspect that perhaps some of you misunderstand his intent.

Whether you agree with CrackerJacket's justification or his attitude, I, for one, agree generally with what I perceive to be his intent.

While I personally think the recruiting services' ratings don't mean much at all, I do sometimes enjoy hearing what Scott Kennedy, Ryan Bass and others have to report. They don't know the slightest fraction of what our coaches know about scouting players; but they are sometimes able to get information that our coaches might not get - by calling a player or his coach or otherwise. These guys also add other value in other ways. That is why I feel somewhat defensive of them.

If people like Damarius didn't pay for information provided by these services, the staff could not afford to do their job. By people duplicating that information on this message board, the justification for hard work in getting information goes away and the information flow decreases or ends.

I have never paid for the premium service; but I find it more intriguing now than I ever have.

Of course, you can decide for yourself whether you are willing to pay for "inside" scoop and how reliable it might be. I don't need to weigh in here about whether Damarius has the right to post information: it is a side point. I will say that I tremendously enjoy reading Damarius' posts. In my humble opinion, he is an excellent Tech fan.

I am just trying to explain that I empathize with CrackerJacket very strongly on this one. I don't think he is telling anyone what they can or cannot do - he is simply making a reasonable suggestion to a poster that he seems to really like.

GO JACKETS!!!!

Jacketsrule...

I think Cracker probably does like me and has never up till now attacked me...He just came across VERY arrogant to me. Quit honestly it took me by Surprise!!!..Maybe a simple appology would be in order? He could of approached me a lot more tactfully.....And yes, I mean it too..Damarius is one GREAT GT FAN !!!!

From my heart: I opened this thread to find news!!!!! Instead, I found remarks against someone who posted..;; I am sorry to find this.....OMHHFP
God bless to ALL Techsters!!!!!!!!!

LLCoolJacket, it does not make any difference what you think about the situation. The subscribers to the recruiting news can relay the news to anyone they desire.

They pay for the subscription which is their obligation. They receive the information which is the obligation of the recruiting news source. Both have completed their obligations.

The person receiving the information can tell anyone he desires and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is contractual, fair, and nothing wrong with it.

The only thing the subscriber cannot do is copy and paste the information if it is copyrighted. Every thing else is above board.

Father Time

My motivation is simple and free from bias. The
sum total of my "payroll" from The Hive is access
to the premium content and forum. That is worth
something like $0.25 per day.

Why did I get involved in this thread?

It appears to me that a few folks are pumping
Damarius for information. They don't want to
pay for access, yet they openly ask to benefit
from Damarius' subscriptions to various services.

If Damarius were an older poster I probably would
not be so quick to jump to his "defense" and give
him "advice" in this situation.

But...he's not. And it bothers me that anyone
would take advantage of his generosity and his
drive to be a part of the Tech community.

My advice to Damarius has been to basically think
about why people are asking for the information he
has paid for and to be careful about letting his
open nature and generosity be abused.

If people have taken exception to that, then I
suppose it hit close to home.

I've said my piece to Damarius on this and am
done with it. Carry on if you must. =]

Damarius, I am not trying to bash Crackerjacket. I am sure he has his own motivation for his stance.

Some do not want others to know the same informaion, unless the other person goes through their same procedures.

The good hearted person does not mind sharing the things he possesses, even his own knowledge, if he thinks it will be a benefit to others. If the recruiting service of your subscription has no rules against retelling the information, then you are free to share that information with others.

You would have committed no wrong. In fact, you are being a good person by sharing the things you possess. Do not be bullied or pressured into withholding this information if it makes you feel good and helps others. It would be the right thing to do to share if you so desire.

Since you are young, I get the impression by your posts you really enjoy being part of this community of Tech fans. It appears, by your many posts, it gives you a lot of pleasure to share this information.

I can tell many posters like you and appreciate the information you give to the board. Actually, you are probably one of the better posters, because you provide a lot of interesting data to the board. If this pleases you, then continue your posting of this information and do not be pressured by those who would stop you.

It belongs to you, and it is your decision to give or withhold the information.

The funny thing about this whole procedure. If you fail to repeat the information, it will most likely be in the papers or on the internet the next day anyway. Once the subscriptions are received by you and all other subscribers, the recruiting service knows it has been released to all.

These people who are trying to muzzle you are not concerned about your welfare, they are concerned about their own welfare.

Just some friendly and fatherly advice.

By the way, I think the insiders on The Hive are told to withhold their information and not to place it on the board under the general posts. That is fine if that is part of their agreement in joining the insiders.

I am sure some of the information you make available is part of the information they receive. I can see why they do not want you to post it on the board. If they pay $90.00 a year or something like that ($0.25/day) for an insider subscription, they do not want others to get the same information free.

However, you pay for your information, and you have no obligation to them or anyone else. Feel free to do whatever you wish with the information you possess. You have paid for it and can tell whomever you wish.

As far as I am concerned, I am patient, I can wait until it is posted somewhere on the internet or in the papers. By this statement, I am saying I have nothing to gain or lose by giving you the above advice.

Father Time

Back