recruit reads the boards then chooses F$U......

law-bee,
Thanks for a very good and timely post here. I'm sure this will be more than just an "eye opener." Wonder how many UGA fans are reading and posting here disguised as GT fans. Sounds like WWII and the German soldiers dressed up like the Allies. I guess we really don't know for sure the (who is's and who ain'ts) anymore.

flaw with this logic from the player....

[ QUOTE ]
every year people like to say recruits do not read message boards, however every year we hear differently.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1079&tid=30221314&sid=&style=2

here is the miami thread talking about the incident

http://miami.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=116&tid=30223766&sid=&style=2

[/ QUOTE ]

opposing fans could post pretending to be part of the home team...and put out a bunch of negative crap just to stir the pot. We have seen this happen time and again.

That is why it is important for the admin's to pull that type of post...and that type of poster whould have privileges removed.

It is just not worth the risk.

Re: Choosing a school based on a message board....

is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of, under any circumstances.........

Re: Choosing a school based on a message board....

Something that irritates me is that a bunch of Nole fans seem to grasp this concept with little trouble or backlash, while some of us get blasted for even insinuating such.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

In ANY situation - decisions have to be made on how it IS - not how it SHOULD BE.

These are kids that think the world is so small that they think the whole world is watching them as they pick one hat of five from a table, when, in reality, most of even the die hard fans of the chosen school don't even know who the kid is or who else was in the running.

The world is small when you are in high school. The only way to get commitment from a kid is to appeal to the world of a kid.

Most of us are adults that can't even remeber ten, twenty, or more years ago when we knew everything. Sadly, some of us still think we do.

What matters is that we just need to be aware that kids DO read the internet and ARE influenced by it - whether we think they SHOULD be or not.

I'm irritated that any of this should have to be PROVEN to any of you. We are all smart enough to have grasped all of this long ago.

You have just bashed a student athlete with your

remarks. IMO. You may not look at what you just said in that regard, but I sure do.

It can make a difference to a young man making a decision, because he feels like he's getting a feel for the fans of that particular school. Believe it or not this board does reflect GT good or bad.

GO JACKETS!

Re: You have just bashed a student athlete with your

You are correct. I don't look at it that way - but I'm not too proud to show enough respect for you to edit, but the time has expired.

I don't remember any of our guys doing that whole, make the world wonder crap, but maybe we have had some guys with a hat sizing session too. If so, I apologize.

My point was that the world seems smaller to any person when they are younger, and anything related to media influences them much more than someone who is more experienced and needs the opinion of others less - i.e. older people.

I can understand your point. I would never intentionally insult any of our student athletes and will take any constructive criticism when I do, intentionally or not.

Student athletes from other schools can lick my boots, or worse, and I was referring to them when addressing the whole hat show. Forgive me if any of our guys fall in that category.

[ QUOTE ]
remarks. IMO. You may not look at what you just said in that regard, but I sure do.

It can make a difference to a young man making a decision, because he feels like he's getting a feel for the fans of that particular school. Believe it or not this board does reflect GT good or bad.

GO JACKETS!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's arguing with you that the boards can be an influence. But for a kid to choose a school over what is said on a message board is dumb. If I had a teenager making the same choice, I would hope he would be smart enough to base his decision on something more than what a couple of fans on a message board said. I agree with Goldrush.

I agree with both of you.

My post is directed at those that don't believe the internet influence, not those that think it should not.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

That's your opinion. And, Techfowl, read who my reply was to above.

BOR, The young men make a choice the best way they know how. We're not standing in their shoes. If they base part of their decision because of internet boards, then that's what they have chosen to do.

Amazes me year after year that fans feel like they know how these kids should or shouldn't make a decision. When it's the kids and their family's choice to make.

If you guys think it's "dumb" or "stupid" then that's your opinion. I think it's dumb and stupid for you to make such remarks.

[ QUOTE ]
That's your opinion. And, Techfowl, read who my reply was to above.

BOR, The young men make a choice the best way they know how. We're not standing in their shoes. If they base part of their decision because of internet boards, then that's what they have chosen to do.

Amazes me year after year that fans feel like they know how these kids should or shouldn't make a decision. When it's the kids and their family's choice to make.

If you guys think it's "dumb" or "stupid" then that's your opinion. I think it's dumb and stupid for you to make such remarks.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is DUMB to think that internet message boards cannot influence a recruits decision. I agree.

It is even DUMBER to base your college decision on what someone says on an internet message board.

That is not a stupid remark at all, that's having half a brain.

Come on guys, this is sounding a little bit like "conspiracy theory"....

Who is really-really a Tech fan?

Someone did a spoof on this topic on the Hive a while back perhaps we need to post 100 questions to root out the UGag posters pretending to be Tech fans.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

That's actually kind of funny GTerrific. Didn't even notice the "re" notice until you pointed it out to me.

Re: I\'m not \"bashing\" anybody...

I am simply making what I consider to be a general statement.

With the array of important objective standards to judge a school and a program - my goodness the list is too long to even type.

Is it not stating the obvious, that making a life decision based on what a few people have to say in a message board is a terrible idea ????? Would you base this decision on what a few people are talking about in the tailgate parking lot ? The people sitting in front of you at a football game ? How about what a few people say about the school at a bar ??

If no, then a message board is the same.

Have we reached a level of political correctness that we can't state the obvious ? If someone (yes, even a student athelete) decided to jump into a swimming pool from the fifth floor of a hotel roof, would we applaude this or would we say that generally speaking, its a bad idea to jump off a fifth story roof? sheessssseeee

Back