Potential Split National Championship

If FSU wins their bowl game, I think they'll hang a national champions banner, and I'll support it. Who's to say that a power 5 team that went undefeated, won their conference championship, and beat a top OOC foe in a NY6 bowl game can't call themselves national champions?

Of course, first they have to take care of business in their bowl game.
If they win their bowl game, the ACC headquarters should hold a ceremony to declare them the real National Champions.

UCF went undefeated in 2017, then beat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. Went undefeated again in 2018 and still didn’t make the playoffs (lost the Fiesta Bowl by 1 score to LSU).

The difference is that UCF didn’t play anyone those seasons. Only played #20 Memphis in 2017 and #24 Cincinnati in 2018.

FSU this season went undefeated including #5 LSU, #16 Duke, and #14 Louisville. The last 8 weeks, they were #3 or #4 in both polls. They then beat a Top 15 team by 10 points in a Power 5 championship game using a 3rd string QB, but somehow got leapfrogged by the #8 team.

I don't see LSU at #5 in the polls.

NVM - I understand. You are playing the Colorado "we beat a top 10 TCU team" game.

I don't see LSU at #5 in the polls.

NVM - I understand. You are playing the Colorado "we beat a top 10 TCU team" game.
That’s how literally everyone does it. Ranking at the time you play, not at the end of the season.

That’s how literally everyone does it. Ranking at the time you play, not at the end of the season.

You must not have read much of the Deion thread. Plenty of posters on this board that give early season rankings no value. End of season SOS is a better test.

If FSU beats Georgia with Rodenmaker or that goober that played last night, I’ll
eat my hat.

If FSU beats Georgia with Rodenmaker or that goober that played last night, I’ll
eat my hat.
Do you think FSU is worse than Mizzou in their current state? Because they came awfully close and were on the receiving end of some so so calls.

eat my hat.
It doesn’t matter if they do or don’t. FSU is an undefeated P5 champ in a conference that had winning records against the conferences of the two teams that should have been behind it in pecking order. They earned their opportunity to play for the title.

It doesn’t matter if they do or don’t. FSU is an undefeated P5 champ in a conference that had winning records against the conferences of the two teams that should have been behind it in pecking order. They earned their opportunity to play for the title.

Exactly. What has happened on the field is reality. Everything else is a hypothetical at this point. As far as I am concerned, the old system of letting the polls decide was better than this

Even better: The ACC and allied conferences should announce that they will also recognize FSU as National Champions if they finish undefeated.

I think this is an a practical remedy & it'd give the National Champions claim more legitimacy than if FSU just recognized themselves.

Back