Page 95, Sporting News ACC Football

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I know I will probably be in the minority again, but that Gold hat, Gold shirt, White pants uni is the way we should go. All the pictures in this edition on our team has the gold shirts and I just think they look good. I also think it is time to stop letting our vistors come in here with their home unis. Things are different now than 1950, and we need some new, stronger traditions. I really do not want to give any more advantage to visitors than we already do. I know about Dodd, the fifties, yada yada yada, etc. I just think we can do better, and this, to me, is one way to start. Whatever might happen in the future I hope we never go to a Gold, Blue, Gold scheme. I can also not help but remember that, regarding tradition, the only jersey we have retired is hanging in the Edge Center. It is Gold.

I for one agree. I even like the look of the dark jerseys, but sacrifices have to be made. One big problem we're having as a school right now is that we're doing a really piss poor job at managing/promoting our brand identity and setting on a standard and keeping with it is the best way of doing that. I don't how often you guys get around campus but seeing the pink/purple/powder blue/ and worst of all RED and BLACK Tech stuff that gets sold at the bookstore just bothers me impensely.

Here we are, about to enter into one of the best times for GT sports/academics in recent years and the %#%@ marketing dept won't even sell things with our colors. I mean who the hell approved a teddy bear with a red and black GT scarf, I mean WTF?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
Enough with that rant though, one thing that we really have going for us as far as national recognition goes is the unique color set, where it seems like every 3rd school has red, you're hard pressed to find more than a handful of other schools with gold, and thats almost always paired with a darker one.

I like the gold/gold/white scheme if the gold jerseys look like the Bud Carson tint, not the recent bleached out gold tint.

I also like the gold/navy/gold scheme ala Bobby Ross '91.

I agree Ramblinwise....

I was going to stay out of this, but you captured my thoughts.

My first choice is white jerseys.
My second choice is the darker gold of the '69 jerseys.
My third choice is the blue jerseys (with gold pants).
My fourth choice is the light gold jerseys we have now.

I was vehemently against the blue jerseys until they made it an "official" color. Now I prefer the blue to the weak gold.

Just one font's opinion.

Bleached out gold?

You mean Yurine Yella?

Not only is it NOT a school color (not at GT, at least), it is not attractive with the helmets that are a very different color.

Can't see how anyone likes it.

Re: Bleached out gold?

I didn't say we could not refine it, that would be fine. I think the Carson gold was too "flat" and it would no way match a Gold hat now. I think the Gold we use in the basketball uni is fine. The main point is we need to build something new and better. I often wonder if the players do not get tired of wearing the same uni every game, but I do not know. Regarding blue shirts, that would be fine with white pants. Ross never, I don't think, went Gold/Blue/Gold. That was Lewis and it looked way to NDish. We need to stop letting visiting teams feel like they are on their home field here IMO.

Personally....

I like the jerseys from last year. Whatever we do I hope to God they keep the dark numbers and don't go to that Denver Bronco number scheme like a couple of years ago. Also, white numbers on gold jerseys or vice versa suck because you can't see them well. I like the idea of going to gold jerseys at home AS LONG AS they have navy blue numerals in the style of last year.

Personally I didn't mind the Navy Blue Jersey's from the early 90's. I thought they were sharp and they were the jerseys worn when I was in school. The only problem with those Jersey's is we looked a lot like Navy and I think we ought to keep it unique. Gold Jersey's with Navy Blue numerals, Gold Helmets, and white pants would do that well.

We talk about this every damn year, and every year I try not to get involved in this arguement because I find it silly, but every year I find myself having to add my two cents. Lured in again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif

I wouldn't change a thing. I like seeing us in our white jerseys. To me, those ARE our home jerseys. I don't see anything wrong with the color of our gold jerseys and whoever called them "Urine Yellow" should see an eye doctor about possible color blindness. And I love the dark numbers. It's a great way to implement our secondary color while making the numbers easier on the eyes at the same time.

Why do we need to "build something new and better?" What is wrong with what we have? A "tradition" by definition is "the passing down of elements of a culture from generation to generation...a set of customs and usages viewed as a coherent body of precedents influencing the present." Why don't we get rid of the Ramblin Reck? We can put a "better" car on the field than that. Why don't we get rid of the fight song? After all it promotes drinking. Certainly we can find a "better" song than that. Change is not necessarily bad - but change merely for the sake of change is rarely good.

So far your reasons for change are:
1. It might give the opponents an advantage to let them wear their "home" jerseys in our house, and
2. You think the players might get tired of wearing the same thing.

Those are pretty weak reasons for breaking a "tradition," imho.

How about this one? Letting the seniors choose the jersey the team wears for the homecoming game. It can be ANY jersey from our past (as long as it conforms to the NCAA guidelines for jerseys). I think that would be a unique way to honor our alums and also let the team really enjoy some of our great history. In a few generations it might even become a "tradition." :)

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't change a thing. I like seeing us in our white jerseys. To me, those ARE our home jerseys. I don't see anything wrong with the color of our gold jerseys and whoever called them "Urine Yellow" should see an eye doctor about possible color blindness. And I love the dark numbers. It's a great way to implement our secondary color while making the numbers easier on the eyes at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree completely.

Getwrecked, no sir my reason was that, looking at the pictures in the Sporting News, I thought the Gold/Gold/White looked better IMO. The things you mentioned were just side notes. I still do not like seeing our opponents on our field in their home unis. I do not consider this an argument. As to why try to start something new and better, maybe you are correct. By that reason their was no need to tear down the old south stands, or expand AMC twice, or rebuild the baseball stadium twice, or go to a ticker priority system, or add computers to the classrooms, and you probably would not mind going back to 1969 wages? Why try to make GT something better than we have been? Maybe you are right.

I knew it would be taken out of context....

...and I would be accused of being a Luddite. There were reasons "...to tear down the old south stands, or expand AMC twice, or rebuild the baseball stadium twice, or go to a ticker priority system, or add computers to the classrooms..." Reasons OTHER than an opinion.

You seem to ignore what I said about "change is not necessarily bad." In fact it can be good - it can be GREAT!! I happen to think that change for change sake is not good - especially when it breaks a tradition.

Let's just leave it at this:

You think it would be "better." I think it would be "worse."

My reasons:
I like the white jerseys at home.
I REALLY dislike the lame gold jerseys. However I will agree that they look much better in that TSN photo than they do on TV. They really do look yellow on the tube. In fact the TV announcers for the Auburn game said we were in our "home yellow." That's when I knew I wasn't the only one to think they look yellow.

Let's agree to disagree. Peace.

[ QUOTE ]

How about this one? Letting the seniors choose the jersey the team wears for the homecoming game. It can be ANY jersey from our past (as long as it conforms to the NCAA guidelines for jerseys). I think that would be a unique way to honor our alums and also let the team really enjoy some of our great history. In a few generations it might even become a "tradition." :)

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, thats actually a really cool idea. Somebody should get that into Gaileys hands.

I dont care if those Navy Blue uniforms look

like Navy...To me they were Special...We won the MNC that year and Personaly they are my Favorite...

I keep reminding people....

that we not only won an MNC in those jerseys but we also went 1-10 in them under Lewis. :)

I agree...I don't care if our unis look like Navy or Notre Dame or Purdue or Wake Forest or Vanderbilt or anyone else. As long as they are OUR uniforms and OUR colors, it will be the OTHER teams that look like us. At least that's the way I feel. :)

Ramblin Peck, I mentioned that idea...

about a year ago or so on The Hive and received several positive comments. I submitted it to CCG on coachgailey.com and was ignored.

I really think it would be lots of fun; it would probably give us some free publicity about our history (when televising a Homecoming game the announcers would explain why we were in throwbacks; the SID could even provide some old footage of the team that is being honored); and it could turn into a unique tradition.

Please take up the standard if you have more influence than I do. :)

getwrecked, send him an e-mail directly

It has been my experience that I get a response back from every single e-mail I send directly to Coach Gailey. Some of them are quick, one-liners saying thanks for the nice comments or what have you. But some have been responses to questions I've asked. And most of my e-mails have come during the season, so I've always been surprised to get responses back and get them pretty rapidly (all except one have taken less than a couple of days).

So while he may not like your suggestion I would bet that if you sent him a personal e-mail at least you'd get a response thanking you for the suggestion.

cgailey@at.gtaa.gatech.edu

Thanks JOJATK. I might do that....

I didn't really mean to be personally critical of him, although in re-reading my post it does sound that way. I know that you and others continually sing his praises for being responsive, so what I really thought was that he didn't see it for some reason, or that it was the one in 10,000 that fell through the crack. But it did frustrate me enough to put it on the back burner.

Thanks for the suggestion and e-mail.

Back