Ouch, Tech's WRs rated 10th in ACC

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Ouch, Tech\'s WRs rated 10th in ACC

by the Insiders. Ah, heck, we're gonna run the ball anyway. They obviously didn't consider that the Yellow Jackets have, arguably, the best HS WR in the country coming in.

Insiders rates the ACC WRs

Re: Ouch, Tech\'s WRs rated 10th in ACC

Ouch?
Could be, but I kinda like being the "Underdog", if that is a permisable term to use. I really had rather start the season down the ladder and work my way up, vs starting at the top and falling down. Just my way of thinking though.

Has to do with fanbase. The larger your fanbase, the higher your rankings. Bottom line. It's all about money. Large fanbases don't want to hear their teams stink. So all the sports media tells them their teams are good. Small fanbases don't wield enough dollars to get good rankings. In the end, it's what happens on the field that matters. Look at the silver lining. To all your SEC fan friends, during pre-season act all bummed and depressed about having a low ranked team. Then when Tech starts out-performing preseason expectations as they always do because of the small fanbase effect, act all shocked and surprised and start gloating and gleeful, and do an embarrassing little dance around them that will make them clench their fists in rage and grit their teeth until they fracture into shards of fury and envy. Even though all along you weren't surprised that Tech is doing as well as it is, they will think that you are ecstatic with glee and they will be envious and knowing that they are envious will be a great reward.

BH, you are positively Machievellian at times and brilliantly so!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drink1.gif

When you read this "no other returning receiver recorded more than 10 catches in 2003." That explains why, we have talent, just nobody who has actualy produced.

This is a pretty accurate conclusion.We have one guy who is dependable and he is not in the league of Fred Smith who we lose.(btw-one of the reasons the others were "as successful" as they were was because Fred pulled coverage to him).The rest are wannsbees until proved capable.
Unless the Frosh really shine ,this lacking in pass game will hurt the run game as other teams will bring their a safety up to stop the run,daring us to pass.

why so high?

Right NOW I'd give us 10th...at best.

IF Calvin emerges as a top flight FR WR, then we'll advance far above that. But right now, we have the worst WR corp that GT has seen in a very long time.

Given that most FR WRs (even the best ones) don't "get it" or have things "click" until somewhere between games 3 and 6, I'm not expecting much from that group. And given that we don't have a go to TE either to take pressure of them. And given that our young QB has accuracy problems, I'd say 10th is at least fair if not generous...right now.

Re: why so high?

I would actually expect a decent WR corps, and we 'might' be a lot better than decent, but the pre-season notes are probably about right, based on what we have 'already' accomplished (or haven't).

We probably have a good group. I'm expecting a couple of current WR's and at 'least' one incoming (Johnson, Johnson, Clark, or 2nd year Dunlap) to stick their chest out, but they have to prove it before they get any recognition.

Re: why so high?

PS. You were right about running the ball.

AugustaBuzz and I were talking the other day and he made a good point. You don't bring in WR's the size we have just to have a big target - it's also so they can be the type of run support we need on the ends. Those guys are going to be putting the blocks downfield as well as catching balls.

I've heard Mike Shanahan say a hundred times that the most important key in his offense, different from others in the NFL is having WR's that block well downfield.

We know Mark Richt thinks it's a big deal also. He benched Fred Gibson for the Florida game because he wouldn't block well.

The Bronco's don't have what I would call a conservative offense (neither does UGA) and Shanahan is a genius in my opinion. It doesn't mean we will run too much, it just means we will be more effective when we do.

Same with the passing. We will have more space when the bigger boys make more space for other bigger boys after the catch.

Whether it's catching more balls or running, I don't care. Whatever takes the pressue off the guy with the ball will make a difference.

I CAN NOT WAIT for football season to start.

Whoever wrote the article didn\'t pay...

too close attention to what they were researching as they infer that JP Foschi is back as a "target".

I'd say it's safe to say that our receiving corps is better than 10th in the conference...

Back