New day in Starkville?

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
Feb 18, 4:09 PM (ET)

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi State running back Nick Turner was dismissed from the team Wednesday for what new head coach Sylvester Croom called a failure to meet "the expectation level" he has for players.

Turner was placed on three years' probation Feb. 7 for possession of counterfeit bills. The 19-year-old Turner passed several counterfeit $100 bills Oct. 15, 2002 at a club.

He sat out the remainder of the 2002 season after his arrest. He came back in 2003 to establish a new single-season school record for all-purpose yards against Arkansas on Nov. 22.

Croom was hired as Bulldogs coach in December, succeeding Jackie Sherrill.

In a statement Wednesday, Croom said Turner would remain on scholarship through the end of the spring semester.

"But Nick has not met the expectation level we have for a Mississippi State football playing student-athlete," Croom said. "I wish him the best in the future, and I will assist him in any way I can."

Turner led the team and ranked second in the Southeastern Conference in all-purpose yardage with 138.7 per game in 2003, when the Bulldogs finished 2-10 overall.

Well, good on State!

Starkville is improved with the mere absence of Jackie Sherrill's 'hucksterism' and Sylvester Croom is a class guy, a great hire by Miss St and a class addition to the SEC.

A positive step forward. Best of luck to them.

Back