Measure of Freidgen's success: 18,000+ at Spring

FreeBee

Varsity Lurker
Measure of Freidgen\'s success: 18,000+ at Spring

Football game.

This is TOTALLY unheard of for the Terps. I know Nebraska had 61,000 at their game, but if there was ever a coach who grabbed an opportunity an ran with it, its Ralph.

He was on the DC NBC affiliate tonight joking about how to trick the alumni into paying money for him to lose the weight he gained back after last summer.

The Terps will be tough again next season, though they'll need to work on the QB position. But if there's anybody who can manage that, its the Fridge.

Re: Measure of Freidgen\'s success: 18,000+ at Spring

He sure did look perplexed on a Thursday night last Autumn, standing down there all by his lonesome. I'll bet Landry's position on the field will be noted and planned for by Fridge this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bricks.gif

after Ugag...

this is the most important game. Would love to beat him down two years in a row.

Actually, I think VT is the most important

long term. We need to get that series off on the right foot. Clemson is the most important for this season because of its location on the schedule IMHO.

Fridge will be a thorn for a few more years but we can match Maryland's talent on the field and our guys can read.

Re:I wish we could draw in spring game.

I remember the first time I ever saw GT in person was at a Spring game. There was a large crowd, Taz Anderson was playing, and Bobby Dodd was coaching. I also remember when I was Director of a Yellow Jacket Committee, we tried desparately to get people to the Spring game and had minimal success. And, we had Bobby Ross, Sean Jones, and a National Championship. It seems that too few of our fans are hard core enough to come to less than a regular season game. Some won't come unless we are playing certain opponants, and that is sad.

isnt it a shame oleary didnt leave 1 year earlier, i wonder where we would be today.

Re:I wish we could draw in spring game.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember the first time I ever saw GT in person was at a Spring game. There was a large crowd, Taz Anderson was playing, and Bobby Dodd was coaching. I also remember when I was Director of a Yellow Jacket Committee, we tried desparately to get people to the Spring game and had minimal success. And, we had Bobby Ross, Sean Jones, and a National Championship. It seems that too few of our fans are hard core enough to come to less than a regular season game. Some won't come unless we are playing certain opponants, and that is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct. I also remember the Virginia Tech game in 1990. We were something like 7-0-1 and ranked in the top 10. It was a sunny day but windy. As I recall, there were probably not even 40,000 people there. Scalpers should have been getting $100 a ticket and we couldn't even fill the stands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pat.gif

Success or hype? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duel.gif

Re:Rept to gloftango18...

The game you mentined, Vs VA Tech, was the week after the huge 41-38 win over #1 raned UVA. We had thousands of people meet the team busses. How on earth coud they not get fired up enough to attend the next game. There was a game in which I was totally disgusted with our student body, and I love our student body. The fraternities were all having FSU watching parties in lieu of coming to the stadium. I know it was before FSU joined the ACC. If anyone remembers the details, please post.

Sad thing is . . .

Article on UConn football website says they had 7,500 at the Spring Game. We reportedly had 3,000. The true Tech fans are too unaggressive, and the would-be Tech fans are too punked by the Bulldog attitude (aka 'retardation').

Success of hype?

Not only is he successful, but IMO, he's changing the athletics culture of Maryland into a football school.

Local Terp cronies tell me that Spring games were played in virtual privacy.

This will be a big challenge for Fridge with a young QB, but 2 years ago, McBrien was just a shaky transfer.

A strong Terp program is great for the ACC because they have a strong rivalry with the Snobs.

Having wondered why Tech was so wishy washy toward the team while UGAG, Auburn, Tenn fans were all frothing at the mouth.

In 1984, Tech started off 3-0, beating Bama and Clemson. For the next game, N.C. State, the BDS was half empty and I remember players looking up at the stands. The place was like a morgue. I felt like that game was lost before the kickoff.

Hopefully, those days are over. I like to think Tech will come up here and beat Fridge again. It should be a tough game.

Re: Success of hype?

I'm not sure how yall are gonna change things... I was a way bigger Tech fan in high school than anyone who went there. The kids that went to Tech just weren't sports fans, for the most part. I don't know how to fix it, but I don't understand how anyone could stay in their dorm/apartment when there is football...

The VT game in 90 was horrible weather. I think

that kept more than a few at home.

I live in Va, and a lot of posters live all over. Go to the vent and see where they live. The same is true for a lot of our opponents.

I'm not impressed by the extended community colleges like UT and UM having big crowds. I am impressed with VT's attendance.

I think your post is not based on facts. Check out Tech's student participation versus Georgia's for example (or all the rest in the southeast) and I think you'll find a fairly decent student support. My guess is that Tech uses about 10,000 seats for students, etc. Out of 15,000 that's pretty good. Georgia, for example, does not use anywhere near the same percentages (23,000 out of 35,000).

66.7% vs. 65.7%?

You're kidding, right? that's almost the exact same proportion.

Did I misunderstand your post?

Not to speak for MidAtlantech, but I think the point was that UGA does not have a 23k student section at their stadium.

Re: Sad thing is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
Article on UConn football website says they had 7,500 at the Spring Game. We reportedly had 3,000. The true Tech fans are too unaggressive, and the would-be Tech fans are too punked by the Bulldog attitude (aka 'retardation').

[/ QUOTE ]

GT does not have a T-Day Spring Game anymore, but instead a spring scrimmage. This is probably why the attendance is so low. Fans want to see a real game between the "Gold Team" and the "White Team" with the score board operating, not just another practice session. I know I would find it alot more interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

FHstinger
schaedel.gif

the difference in the 2 schools on that point

First, I'm not sure exactly how many student tickets that UGag gives out, but I'd wager it's around 15k.

But if they wanted to give out another 5k or more they could. My nephew went there. He camped out for a day and a half in the Spring to get tickets. A large chunk of their Freshman class doesn't get student tickets because the demand is so high and they were mostly sold out in the Spring before they incoming FR arrive.

It is a struggle to get our students to sellout the tickets that they get unless it's FSU, UGA or Auburn.

i\'m not sure why you want to discredit Fridge....

the way I remember the last game, it was pretty even til Maryland's QB went down. Then their wheels fell off on offense.

It isn't like we looked good in that game on offense ourselves. (Or punting for that matter)

I'd take Fridge over Gailey every day of the week and 10 times on Saturday.

Back