Judge rules NFL age requirement unconstitutional..

This could be a boon for GT. This is the best

news I could have gotten today other than Miller never signed with UGA and hasn't decided fully yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

This should hurt Miami the most. UGa will also be hurt by five star guys playing two or even only one years. This will be true as long as the 25 max rule stands.

Remember what happened to SHW when the five star freshmen started to realize they could play NBA ball NOW?

It will help Tech if the NFL has to go to a farm

system like baseball. The reason the baseball team is perennial top 15 is that any kid who is close to academically questionable heads to the minor leagues. If the NFL needs pointers on starting a farm system, all they have to do is go to Athens. Hartgrave Military is UGA's farm team.

Re: It will help Tech if the NFL has to go to a fa

I don't agree with this... if age discrimination is unconstitutional why are the minimum drinking ages? maximum flying ages for airlines? If a business doesn't want teenagers working for them they shouldn't have to allow them.

i may be interpreting this incorrectly

i guess the ruling is that Clarett is available to be drafted, i.e. he is eligible for the draft.

but if the NFL and its member teams feel that Maurice Clarett, or for that matter any individual, does not meet even one of their set criteria for qualifying to play in one of the NFL teams, simply don't draft him.

don't draft Clarett if the NFL feels that he can't compete. pass him over. fat chance that will happen.

exactly`

the problem for the NBA has been that the teams are so eager to "get rich quick" that they draft the HS players and underclassmen

they dont have to....

now tell me that you dont think that ONE team in the NFL that needs a RB wont draft him low so that they get a good back at a good price

are they are gonna say no?

Re: i may be interpreting this incorrectly

ylo, I agree wholeheartedly. Problem is the need to win and win fast outweighs what ages are. Until teams stop drafting in any sport it's no one's fault but theirs.

This is bad. It will bring down the NFL game horribly. Too many kids careers will be ruined bc they THINK they can play NFL ball when they can't. Just like Leon Smith and those type guys in basketball.

Great NEWS for GT and other GOOD schools.....

when you have to start selling academics and the quality of the degree it will be hard to compete with GT.

I think the NFL will survive just like the NBA, MLB, and the NHL.

Why would this not be good for us?

Yes it will dilute the talent in College Football. But it will impact the football factories the most. Instead of having 3 to 6 juniors leaving early now Miami will have 3 - 6 sophmores leaving early and most of their juniors.

There is a very good chance that Miami will have to pass on some 5 star guys that project to have short careers in the near future or risk having serious depth issues. FSU could suffer a similar fate as could UGA. Once sophmores are leaving right and left what are the odds of a David Pollack staying for year four? The guys leaving as Jrs now will leave as sophs. The guys getting drafted on day 1 will be leaving as Jrs.

Trust me on this one... if this stands our ratio of wins against UGA will improve quickly.

We have to be considered high on the list of teams that will benefit the most from this along with Cal, Stanford, Wake Forest, Boston College, Nebraska, Purdue, Arkansas, Ole Miss, South Carolina....

the finding was that it was violative..

of antitrust laws, not that it was unconstitutional.

Age-related laws are, for the most part, constitutional, simply because the statute must pass the 'rational relationship' test. In other words if the laws passed are seen to have a reasonable relation to a proper legislative purpose, and are neither arbitrary nor discriminatory, the requirements of due process are satisfied.

Other laws must pass the strict scrutiny test. These are laws which affect specific rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights (and other rights that are fundamental to individual liberty such as the right to marry, to have children, to direct the education of one's children, marital privacy, etc).

In such cases, the State may prevail only upon showing a subordinating interest which is compelling. The law must be shown necessary, and not merely rationally related to, the accomplishment of a permissible state policy.

I really shouldn't have to teach you such things, law bee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

constitutional stuff....

The reason I used the word "unconstitutional" was b/c I was considering my audience and, I could not have fit "violation of restraint of free trade" in the subject box.

http://www.libertyhaven.com/politicsandcurrentevents/constitutionscourtsandlaw/consrestraints.shtml

[ QUOTE ]
Freedom to Trade; No Special Privilege
Commerce makes for a free and prosperous people, so restraints on trade shall be removed.

No tax or duty shall be laid on articles exported
from any State. . . . Article 1, 9

No preference shall be given by any regulation of
commerce or revenue to the ports of one State
over those of another. Article 1, 9

Progressive taxation violates the principle of equal treatment under the law-penalizes ability, and lowers productivity, so it is forbidden.

No capitation, or other direct, tax shall be laid,
unless in proportion to the census. . . .

Article 1, 9

The public treasury shall be inviolate; government shall not confer economic privilege on some at the expense of others.

No money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but
in consequence of appropriations made by law.

Article 1, 9

Personal privacy shall be respected and jealously guarded.

The right of the people to be secure in their
persons, houses, papers, and effects . . . shall not
be violated. Amendment IV

Conflict is a built-in feature of human action, and when collisions of interest do occur in society, the rights of the individual must be maintained.

No person shall ... be deprived of life, liberty,
or property, without due process of law.

Amendment V

Nor shall private property be taken for public use
without just compensation. Amendment V

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what they argued however all this boils down to Locke's "life, liberty, and property" which was clearly on our original constitutional framer's minds.

Public policy not withstanding I think this kid has a "constitutional right" to earn a living. The anti-trust acts were Congress using its constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce.

Re: constitutional stuff....

I understand, but what worries me is that college football will become the minor leagues for the NFL almost like basketball has become. Many players need the years in college to reach their full potential. The NFL will draft them, put them on their taxi squads, not educate them and after a year or so discard them like a worn out shoe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/behead.gif

its true that for the NFL the difference 4yrs

of college can make on their bodies is most significant

think about how much these guys grow from FR to SR in physical strength and size with the proper training

May be niave, but don\'t see much happening.

It's not like the NBA where one big name player can change a whole team around. In the NFL you need 53 guys all contributing on your roster. The taxi squads aren't that big, and guys don't stay there for years bulking up. I think most kids who think they have a shot will be chewed up at the combines. Any who are drafted will be ready at least physically or the team won't take a shot. I just hope some 18 year old kid doesn't slip through and literally get killed or maimed for life.

MAN...I dont like this !!!!

I HOPE this doesnt water down the College Football Product on the field...Im hoping there wont be an influx of Frosh. and Soph. to the NFL like there IS to the NBA....Im hoping the FACT that in Football you need to be Bigger and Stronger and more mature to play with MEN ages 22-35 in such a Physical sport and this will ELIMINATE many HS guys and College Frosh. and Soph. from getting drafted....I just HOPE this will be the case...I love College Football and dont want to see a watered down product!!!!

Re: MAN...I dont like this !!!!

This will have a huge effect on grad rates. Will they become less important, or do people quit caring about them altogether if this ruling has a major impact?

I hadn\'t thought about the graduation rate stuff

That could make this a facinating dynamic. Does anyone know if a kid opts for the NFL after a couple of years at a school how he counts against graduation rates and scholarships? Is it like a transfer where I think if he leaves in good academic standing no harm to the school - if in bad academic standing loss of ships? Or is it counted as lack of academic progress and thus a ding to the university? If the latter 5 star recruits will be carefully reviewed before being recruited by schools and FSU/Miami would be most affected.

Overall, I would be floored if any HS kids started going to the NFL - no room to put em while they grow up like in the NBA. But it will impact the Miami/FSUs of the world with their sophs.

transfers count against grad rate

unless they changed it

Re: transfers count against grad rate

Things are up in the air right now as to what impact players leaving early will have on # of scholarships, eligibility for bowls, etc. Follow the link to the NCAA site and then to various releases and proposals for more info. At least the NCAA realized the current way of measuring graduation rates and academic success is flawed. But what they come up with is still the big question.

NCAA

Can't link directly to the article, but you can go to Press Releases and follow the links to the academic reform info. Interesting stuff really.

Back