Jeepers, a LOT of football players leaving SCar

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Coach Holtz running em off with a whip or what? 8 players with eligibility remaining have left the Gamecocks since the end of last season. One of them is RB Kenny Irons who GT was after pretty heavily in either Gailey's 1st or 2nd recruiting class. Also leaving was LB Josh Johnson which I believe had a high interest in GT & we didn't offer or wanted to wait on grades. Hmmmm, reckon S Carolina won't be in the running for the AFCA's Academic Acheivement Award for graduation rates./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Players leaving South Carolina by the busload

Here\'s the article

I paid for it & I'm gonna use it:

By JOSEPH PERSON

Staff Writer
The State (Columbia SC)

South Carolina junior Brandon Schweitzer, one of three fullbacks on the Gamecocks roster, has been given his release to transfer to either Gardner-Webb or Coastal Carolina.

Schweitzer, who was expected to receive increased playing time this season with the Gamecocks shift to more two-back offensive sets, gave two reasons for his decision when he met with USC coach Lou Holtz this week.

Schweitzer, a 6-foot-3, 258-pound native of Hendersonville, N.C., said he was miffed about his status his freshman year. Schweitzer hoped to redshirt as a freshman, so he would have a fifth year to play and begin work on a graduate degree in education administration.

Instead, Schweitzer said he played a few snaps in early season losses to Virginia and Georgia in 2002 and was unable to redshirt.

Also, Schweitzer said he was frustrated about the position changes he was asked to make.

Arriving as a fullback, Schweitzer was moved to defensive tackle in the spring of 2003 and returned to fullback this past spring. Schweitzer lost 32 pounds in a three-month span this year to help in his return to the backfield.

I'm not picky in football, Schweitzer said Thursday. If I'm going to play there, I just want to stick there and have a chance to get adapted to it and learn it.

Schweitzer, a state champion wrestler in North Carolina who had four tackles in nine games in 2003, said he has an offer to play football and wrestle at Gardner-Webb and a football offer from Coastal Carolina. Both are Division I-AA schools, meaning Schweitzer would be eligible immediately under NCAA transfer rules.

The move leaves USC with two fullbacks: walk-on Jamie Peters and incoming freshman Antonio Lamar.

Schweitzer becomes the eighth USC player to leave with eligibility remaining since the end of the 2003 season. The others are running backs Regis Edgerson and Kenny Irons, quarterback Bennett Swygert, receivers Aryhel Freeman and Andre Hemphill, offensive lineman Jon Hall and linebacker Josh Johnson.

Strength coach disciplined. Gamecocks strength and conditioning coach Pat Moorer is prohibited from working with football players this summer as a result of an incident last summer in which he made a player run for missing a voluntary workout, according to sources close to the football program.

NCAA rules allow strength coaches to work with football players and signees for eight hours a week during the summer, but those activities must be non-mandatory. USC typically sends self-reports of its NCAA secondary violations to the SEC office, which reviews them and forwards them to the NCAA.

Attempts to reach Moorer on Thursday were unsuccessful.

USC athletics director Mike McGee said Moorer is still working with athletes, but beyond that we don?t have any particular announcement.

Re: Here\'s the article

Yep,
[ QUOTE ]

South Carolina junior Brandon Schweitzer, one of three fullbacks on the Gamecocks roster, has been given his release to transfer to either Gardner-Webb or Coastal Carolina.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently Lou kept switchin him from DL to FB and back. Easy decision for Brandon to make. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif

Looks to me like a bunch of guys that weren't good enough to get PT or were too impatient to fight for it and earn it.

Irons had chances to play other positions, but refused. I'll tell you right now, Daccus Turmon, Cory Boyd, and Demetrius Summers are all three big-time backs that would each start on most teams (Summers on almaost ANY team in the country). Irons couldn't hold a candle to any of them, although he would be a number one at most programs. The other guy I never even heard of, so he's further down the list.

The article is misleading anyway. USC plays 3 and 2 back sets without a true full back quite often.

On the QB: they have Blake Mitchell, who was ranked the 2nd or 3rd QB in the nation when he was recruited. Apparently he's a stud, and for whatever crazy reason, he is still behind Pinkins on the depth chart, so "other guy" was seeing no light at the end of the tunnel. Plus, Lou scrapped the West Coast offense his son had been trying to implement for a more run oriented offense. So the kid was recruited for one offense and doesn't really have all the tools for the new one.

Why did the FB guy go to the news papers and bash Lou? He made himself look bad, not Lou (even if he was right.)

The rest of those guys sound like guys that were over their talent level. You don't transfer to Gardner Webb, much less Coastal Carolina, if you are good by SEC or ACC standards. Doesn't sound like USC lost much, except the 'talent' of Irons, who refused to play DB, but personally was a team cancer anyway.

Call me mean, but the kid in the article sounds like a big whiner to me. Kelly Rhino stuck around and made a place for himself when all his stats said he shouldn't even be on the field. Good players will get their PT. Lou probably ran half those kids off because of their attitude.

PS -

I forgot until I saw it on the Hive, but Irons and the other tailback that transferred, also refused to go into a game late last year when USC had already accumulated a huge lead. I'd run him out too if I were Lou.

[ QUOTE ]
Is Coach Holtz running em off with a whip or what? 8 players with eligibility remaining have left the Gamecocks since the end of last season. One of them is RB Kenny Irons who GT was after pretty heavily in either Gailey's 1st or 2nd recruiting class. Also leaving was LB Josh Johnson which I believe had a high interest in GT & we didn't offer or wanted to wait on grades. Hmmmm, reckon S Carolina won't be in the running for the AFCA's Academic Acheivement Award for graduation rates./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Players leaving South Carolina by the busload

[/ QUOTE ]

We never offered Irons...and he really never liked us that much anyway.

Back