hate to say this BUT....

law_bee

Dodd-Like
it appears the @Clem's son game will more than likely make or break our season.

9/4/2004 Samford
9/11/2004 @Clemson
9/18/2004 @North Carolina
10/2/2004 Miami
10/9/2004 @Maryland
10/16/2004 Duke
10/28/2004 Virginia Tech
11/6/2004 @NC State
11/13/2004 Connecticut
11/20/2004 Virginia
11/27/2004 @Georgia

When you look at that 4 game stretch w/ Miam, VT, at MD and Duke you know that we will be fortunate to win 2 of these games so I think we have to 3-0 going into these games. The problem is CG has never performed well against baby bowden for some reason. The good thing is Clem's son lost 3 of 4 DL starters and 3 of 4 WR's the bad thing is they bring everyone else back. Whitehearst may be the top QB in the ACC and they have some nice pieces at LB. Hopefully we can get our running game going which will keep that QB on the pine.

Call me crazy, but...

I honestly think that Duke and Maryland are locks for wins with VT being a strong possibility. I think there is a strong chance of getting 3 wins during that stretch. However, Clemson still is a big game since it will certainly set the tone for the first half of our schedule and perhaps beyond.

My friends from college include an absurd amount of long-time Clemson fans and the thought of losing to us is not even on their radar.

They are worried about another debacle with Wake more than a loss to us. The worst part is that they aren't even talking trash. They just think we don't have a chance and in a very matter of fact way.

It just shows how much certain people don't know about football.

We MUST smoke those guys. I'm not in the mood to listen to any more of their crap.

I think Whitehurst is being put way to far up on a pedestal. All the games in that stretch are winnable. Let's hope for the Miami fans to turn on their QB this year again, the distraction will help.

I totally agree with GTPilot. I think we can beat VT. I think that our football team has a chance of surprising people just like our bball team did. Reggie is possibly going to be the best QB in the ACC this yr in my opinion. Also, I think we will kill Clemson. Murder even. Reggie for pres 04!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woot.gif

One thing I've noticed recently about Virginia Tech is that they seem to break down the same time each year - right around Halloween. We saw them lose to:

West Virginia on October 22nd, 2003
Pittsburgh on November 2nd, 2002
Syracuse on October 27th, 2001
Miami on November 4th, 2000

They've been doing this since their 1999 Sugar Bowl run.

Whitehurst is WAY overrated.

Whitehurst is putting up good numbers, but you have to do a little digging to realize that these numbers are not totally because of him.

If you watched many Clemson games last year, and I did, you noticed that Whitehurst frequently made poor decisions and simply lobbed the football up in the air as high as he could. The good thing was, he had 3 or 4 towering receivers who were also very fast, and they would simply run to the spot the ball was going to come down and catch it before the average-height defensive backs could even get a hand on it.

It didn't matter if the receiver was well-defended, it didn't matter if there was no one in the area, a speedy and tall receiver would run to the correct spot and the ball would come down.

Now... on those occasions that a receiver stumbled or somehow didn't get in the right spot, Whitehurst was intercepted. That's because he never looked where he was throwing. His modus operandi was very simple. Catch the shotgun snap and lob up it up high in the general direction of downfield.

Well, it just so happens that almost all of those tall and fast receivers are gone this year. They are gone. Bye-bye.

So, expect Whitehurst's numbers to plummet. And then everyone will be wringing their hands in dismay and confusion over why his performance has suddenly gone into the tank.

But while others are shaking their heads in confusion, you will have remembered my sagely analysis, you will know why, and you will feel superior because you are one of the few who know the reason behind the decline.

Because the Bunger Henry told you so.

I thought he was overrated last year ! **38-3**

I agree that was the case with Clemson against TEch last season. He threw a couple yards shy of 300 that day. Long bombs down field for touchdowns. (Kim King called him Parkhurst the entire game. I thought that was funny.)

I wouldn't say that he is not a good QB and that all of his accomplisments were 100% attributed to his tall WR's. That certainly does help though. He is a good QB and i will agree with the masses. He is one of the best QB's in the ACC. I have several Alum friends from Clemson and they have faith in their QB.

something to ponder over..

If he was the Qb at GT would you still think he was overrated, and how would you respond to people saying he was an overrated QB?

Re: I thought he was overrated last year ! **38-3**

[ QUOTE ]

If he was the Qb at GT would you still think he was overrated, and how would you respond to people saying he was an overrated QB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'd be backing up Reggie Ball.

Re: I thought he was overrated last year ! **38-3*

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

You've got to be kidding. Charlie's stats are 10x better than Reggie's. Charlie looks at more recievers than just the primary one. He tore our defense to shreds. He tore UT's defense to shreds.

I would trade Reggie for Charlie in a heartbeat.

Hard to judge just the QB but I'd say Whitehurst looks pretty good. However he did have a huge advantage last year in his receiving corp. The next time you see a Tech receiver take the ball away from the defenders save the picture...it will be the first time in a couple of years (K Watkins?) that it's happened. If that changes this year, our QB play will look 100% better.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Charlie's stats are 10x better than Reggie's.

I would trade Reggie for Charlie in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, Charlie had 20,000 yards passing and 100 TD's last year? That is FANTASTIC!! I never knew he was that good.

[ QUOTE ]
WOW, Charlie had 20,000 yards passing and 100 TD's last year? That is FANTASTIC!! I never knew he was that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hyperbole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbup.gif

:)

Ahh, Jacket fans arguing over football..

I can smell the chili dogs and pigskin already.

[ QUOTE ]
it appears the @Clem's son game will more than likely make or break our season.

9/4/2004 Samford
9/11/2004 @Clemson

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt about it. Since joining the ACC in 1983:
<ul type="square"> [*] GT has never had a good season unless it beat Clemson first. [*] GT has never had a bad season when it beat Clemson. [*] When GT beats Clemson, we also beat UGag. [*] When GT loses to Clemson, we lose to UGag. [*] Clemson always gives us fits. GT has beaten Clemson by more than a touchdown only twice, 30-14 in 1989 and 14-3 in 1985. [*] GT is 9-12 vs. Clemson since joining ACC. [/list]

FHstinger
deutschland.gif

Whitehurst and company did nothing but impress me in the Peach Bowl burying Tennessee. It could be the type of Bowl win that springboards that program (sort of like our Gator win over Notre Dame that solidified the O'Leary era)

Despite some key losses, getting a 'W' at Death Valley this season is going to be very, very difficult.

Re: Whitehurst is WAY overrated.

Bunger, besides Hamilton who do they lose at rec that beat us last yr? You are optimistic if you think Clem's pass attack is hurting.Possible but NOT likely.

Re: Whitehurst is WAY overrated.

I can't remember who all the guys are, but standouts include Curry, Hamilton, Youngblood, Robinson, &amp; Grant as the deep threats over the last two years.

At least one of that group was gone before last year.

The ones returning out of that group are Currie (fastest on the team last three years - including Hamilton) and Grant. Guy # 3 will be Chansi Stuckey, moved from QB, who is a stud. They are expecting Stuckey to be their #1 this year and Curry would be #1 at most schools.

They will have a 'very' good recieving corps thsi year, but not what they have had the last 3 years. They have 2 superstars in Stuckey and Curry, but not the depth to continuously plug in fresh burners that keep taking pressure off each other like the last couple of years.

Back