Has GT ever in recent memory been in on so

BLACK WATCH

Helluva Engineer
many top prospects here in THIS State as far as Recruiting? I mean we sign probably the Most sought after prospect in this state Calvin Johnson (Jamie said he was the most high profile recruit in Ga. we have had since D. Steagall) we are in the final 3 choices with Brandon Miller, Final 2 choices with Darryl Robertson and were in it as one of the final 4 choices with Darius Walker...We have picked up 9 verbals total from this state..And will probably pick up maybe 2 or 3 more....I cant remember us being as close with so many of this States prospects...Comments anyone?

Yes to answer your question . . .

the year we signed Hobie Holiday, Daryl Smith, Key Fox and several others for example. Also the year we signed Joe Burns we landed a bumper crop from Georgia.

We usually get to this point and land about 1 out of 3 big fish (big according to the recruiting services). We will see how we do with Palmer, Richard, Robertson et al.

Go Jackets!

Personally...

[ QUOTE ]
many top prospects here in THIS State as far as Recruiting? I mean we sign probably the Most sought after prospect in this state Calvin Johnson (Jamie said he was the most high profile recruit in Ga. we have had since D. Steagall) we are in the final 3 choices with Brandon Miller, Final 2 choices with Darryl Robertson and were in it as one of the final 4 choices with Darius Walker...We have picked up 9 verbals total from this state..And will probably pick up maybe 2 or 3 more....I cant remember us being as close with so many of this States prospects...Comments anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we are going after enough kids to sign a full class of 25. I like the guys we are bringing in, but we need to sign full classes without having to go to our third or fourth option on players. I'm worried about falling short again. This should not happen.

Jerry..Yes and NO...

Of the big three from that class you mentioned...NONE were as highly ranked as Calvin Johnson...Holiday may have been close BUT not as high as Calvin...As Jamie Newburg stated: GT has NOT had as Highly rated player as Calvin SINCE Derreck Steagall...Now in comparison to that class David Brown IS as highly rated as Darryl Smith (Of course Brown is from Alabama) and Eric Williams/Elris Anyaibe are just as highly rated as Key Fox was...We have STILL got REAL legite shots at 3 or 4 more Big Name prospects also...My main point IS: For anyone to deny that this class is shaping up as Good as ANY Oleary signed are not being truthfull...

Of course, you can argue all day on that from different perspectives AND the real test KEY will be in 5 years when we look back...It is ironic we won a National Championship with 4 lesser rated classes....I dont ever remember ANY of Ross's classes getting rave reviews from the SO-CALLED_Recruiting gurus....

Re: Personally...

I agree with you BOR. I think Gailey has an eye for talent, but we are just not casting the net wide enough. Over the past two years we have lost 9 scholarships by not using them and with only Sampson returning we lost 9 to flunkgate. It is critical to get the 25 or 26 max scholarships without having to compromise on the talent level. Right now we need to get a commitment about every other day to make it to this level by signing day. I am not saying it is not possible, but I do not recall us closing on recruits at this rate in the past especially near the end.

I am also pretty sure that we will have once again failed to use all of the recruiting visits available to us per NCAA rules. Which is fine if we make our numbers without compromising on talent, but will be perplexing to me if we are unable to sign the full allotment in a year where it is so critical to do so.

All I know is if I were recruit that wanted early playing time and great education, I would be jumping on this train in a hurry. There very few schools like GT that offer our football tradition, a vibrant urban setting, outstanding education, and early playing time in perhaps the premier football conference in the nation. I cannot imagine recruits not being excite about an opportunity like the one GT offers them right now.

Interesting that

so many people were wailing that we were giving up the state of Ga last yr now this yr Ga dominates the verbals so far.We still need to get GOOD players not just GA players.

I don't think we are going after enough kids to sign a full class of 25. I like the guys we are bringing in, but we need to sign full classes without having to go to our third or fourth option on players. I'm worried about falling short again. This should not happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to worry..I agree with Gtfridge (Big ole John) on our other new board GtPro board....We WILL get our 25 and as GTFridge said..On PAPER this class is BETTER than ANY Oleary signed...And, I will add as he did...As Tommy Nobis used to say "potential doesnt mean Squat" They still will have to prove it on the field...The main point...On Paper this IS a better class than any of our others in a LONG time...

Frankly, BlackWatch, I'm not sure we can field a team next year, are you? I mean, GT has to get all the athletes that UGag, FSU, Miami, and Oklahoma like, or else we are utter failures. Or, I should say, that doodlehead Gailey is a failure. I just don't understand why he can't simply turn, on a dime, kids who don't care to go to a demanding school, and switch them to GT. And it's a mystery to me why every kid in the country is not knocking the doors down to go to a school whose fan base loves to talk about how crappy we are since a certain coach left. Or for that matter, how crappy we are because of a coach we once had. And of course we have the lyinest, cheatinest, crappiest AD in the country: why, it goes with the Tech territory.

We'll be lucky if they don't kick us out of the NCAA. We're NAIA at best! Hiring a former Dallas Cowboys coach who is a native of Georgia and whose recruiting classes get better and better! What a joke!

Re: FAN OF BOBBY DODD....

All you have to do is check FAN OF BOOBY DODD'S personal messages.

Jerry the Jacket is right---

I've been following the rivals star system for the last 5 recruiting classes. 2000 was the year we signed Brandon Sumner (4 star), Mark Logan (4 star), Jimmy Dixon (4 star), Hobie Holliday (4 star), Daryl Smith (3 star), JP Foschi (3 star), Jonathan Cox (3 star), Tony Hollings (4 star), Jonathan Jackson (3 star), Reggie "Keron" Koon (3 star), Nate Curry (3 star), and Leon Robinson (3 star). Keyaron Fox was a top 100 TE but only a 2 star. We also had near misses on OL Shane Olivea (4 star) and WR Michael Jenkins (3 star), both of whom wound up at Ohio State. As far as ratings go, I don't remember us having as highly regarded, by the experts, of a class since then. FWIW, David Brown is ranked about as highly as a DL as Reggie Koon was. Like Calvin Johnson, Holliday was a top 10 at his position. Sumner was a very highly regarded catch by the old Borderwars. I think he was rated like the #12 or 13 QB in the nation.

Out of that group, Jonathan Smith (1 star), Daryl Smith, Keyaron Fox, and JP Foschi all went on to win some form of all-conference accolades. We may never know what Tony Hollings might have done. Jonathan Cox and Jimmy Dixon went on to be solid starters. Leon Robinson, Nate Curry and Jonathan Jackson have all shown flashes, starting or playing significantly at times. All three have had careers hampered by injuries. The rest either were injured, left school or failed to get significant playing time. Some are still left, like Darius Williams, who has a good chance of winning the starting job next year at TE.

RomeJacket...Im having trouble with the

link..But check your private messages on this board...Under your Home....

Re: FAN OF BOBBY DODD....

[ QUOTE ]
Check your personal message box on this board...

[/ QUOTE ]Thankyou BW looks like a great board.

Could someone please post the link?

This will keep people from having to keep asking.
Thanks.

Back