GTAA ticket office does it again.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
So in an effort to try and convert some folks to our side, I talked a business associate into coming back to town for the Miami game. I give him the GTAA phone number as he leaves. Rememeber he does not have a computer in his car. He calls (as I did later) and the ticket office recording says "2004 football season tickets and single game tickets are on sale". Well they are not for the VT or Miami game. He made a special detour to OUR school to try and buy tickets. To buy tickets, you know those things that we advertise as being for sale in the paper, TV, in movie theatres? You know, those things ugag had to return 9000 orders for? Good job GTAA. Another successful move to make it harder for ourselves to succeed. We don't need competition, we beat ourselves.

Big games are always special

The big games on the home schedule have always been a part of the three game packs which never go on sale until after all season ticket holders have been able to buy as many as they like.

Remember we bought out most of the Auburn tickets that we had available.
I never thought the 3 packs went onsale until August anyway.

Re: Big games are always special

Not sure I understand your response. I thought last year was the first year for 3 game packs? Regardless my associate was just wanting to buy tickets to the Miami game. That was when he could be back in town and the phone message for the GTAA ticket office says "2004 football season and single game tickets are on sale now". There was no qualifying statement about excepting VT & Miami. I do not know if our arrogance or studpidity will kill us first.

TS, I know you really enjoy hating your school....

But mini-packs have been available since I was a student in 1995 in one form or another.
When the program made the significant improvement after the 6-5 years, FSU,Clemson, and UGA were only available via a full season ticket or some mini-pack where you also had to get the Furman, Dooks and UCF's of the world; or a specific mini pack that included homecoming.

This strategy isn't exactly groundbreaking. Tulsa required a full season ticket to get their season opening home game with OU two years ago. Purdue requires certain tickets to get the Michigan, NotreDame or Ohio St. games.

It's completely about our position of marketing our opponents, not ourselves.
It's like the GTAA Marketing says, "This is a really big game. Let's get as many people in the stands, and maybe Tech will win. If Tech wins then people will want to come to the rest of our games."
Meanwhile, they could be promoting the North Avenue experience from the Varsity to Brittain Drive street fair, to tailgating.

Most of GTAA marketing is fresh out of college, and don't have any idea of how to market football in the South. They focus on the game and not on the whole weekend.

If you are a season ticket holder, you can order the tickets over the phone and give them to your friend (for face value of course.)

I have had problems with the GTAA before, although never at the level of frustration of some of you. They do have a business to run, whether we view it that way or not.

So in 'this' case they decided to forego 'now' money so that GT Season Ticket holders can get all the tickets we need first. They can't win for losing with some people.

We would really be complaining if we couldn't get tickets after the GTAA sold all the tickets to the competition in town for one game a year.

I understand your frustration, but it seems they are trying to do the right thing for us, and you yourself can still get the tickets for your friend.

He will end up surrounded by Gold and White, but it will keep him in check. (But it's not that bad. Nobody will throw urine at him, like some stadiums in this state.)

Back