Grant Aasen

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the brother of a priest - who has a masters in history and managed restaurants along the way before answering the call - the big moment of decision will be at his diaconate. There, prostrate on the floor, after three years in the seminary, he will be asked if he can make the full commitment to the priesthood. My brother said he has seen guys get up and walk out of the cathedral, realizing the call wasn't for them. And when they walk out, they leave the seminary.
Then again, my brother went to a seminary where there was a bar in the basement of their dorm with beer on tap for the seminarians.
It is a big commitment Grant is about to make and I applaud him for it. Pax vobiscum, sir.
Seminary isn't just for Catholics. Pastors of other denominations go to seminary too.

Good.
I went to religious private school until high school. My parents probably invested over 100k in that, and I do not come from money. I just don't believe religion at all, but still celebrate the holidays for the 'tradition' of it. My wife and I share the same beliefs. My daughter goes to a reform, but synagogue, pre-school. We go to synagogue with my daughter; treat it mostly as a social thing for us, but want our daughter immersed in the culture. She can decide what she wants to believe in the same way my wife and I did. My wife comes from a family of holocaust survivors.
Regarding the liberal bashing, I'm conservative, so you can bash the left all you want.

Enjoy your high horse though.

So you are Jewish?

Enjoy your high horse though.
What high horse? I didn't judge anyone. The only high horse I see is the one you were perched on when you insinuated that our former punter is a fool for following his interest in theology.

What high horse? I didn't judge anyone. The only high horse I see is the one you were perched on when you insinuated that our former punter is a fool for following his interest in theology.

Did I insinuate that or is that what you assumed I "insinuated"? What a 20 year old kid decides to do is his business. He can go study rainbows, the origins of bunny rabbits, religion, or keep playing football; it has no bearing on me. Regardless of what he does, my daughter likes story books. I was definitely implying that religion is like a made up story book. But I was not implying him, or you, or my parents, or anyone else with beliefs, a fool. "Nice brainwash" -- definitely nothing insinuated there, right? Of course, you are insinuating that if I don't force my daughter into bogus religions that I am wrong for that and you consider that brainwashing. Definitely not on a high horse though, right?

Did I insinuate that or is that what you assumed I "insinuated"? What a 20 year old kid decides to do is his business. He can go study rainbows, the origins of bunny rabbits, religion, or keep playing football; it has no bearing on me. Regardless of what he does, my daughter likes story books. I was definitely implying that religion is like a made up story book. But I was not implying him, or you, or my parents, or anyone else with beliefs, a fool. "Nice brainwash" -- definitely nothing insinuated there, right? Of course, you are insinuating that if I don't force my daughter into bogus religions that I am wrong for that and you consider that brainwashing. Definitely not on a high horse though, right?

"Your core beliefs are composed of made up stories, like the ones I read my daughter at bedtime, but you're not a fool and I respect you."

I dunno, man. That's a hard sell.

What amazes me is how people feel the need to junp into a thread that is meant as a positive thing about a kid that is not only trying to better his life, but also the lives of others, and try to diminish it as him being a "brainwashed idiot". I would strongly bet you wouldn't have posted a thing if the kid decided to enter a synagogue, or an agnostic cause.

What amazes me is how people feel the need to junp into a thread that is meant as a positive thing about a kid that is not only trying to better his life, but also the lives of others, and try to diminish it as him being a "brainwashed idiot". I would strongly bet you wouldn't have posted a thing if the kid decided to enter a synagogue, or an agnostic cause.

No way dude. The religion matters not to me. They're all the same with different prequels and sequels.
Okay I'm off this. This was not intended to thread jack or disrespect anyone. I didn't say religion is wrong, just wrong for me.
I also never said anyone was brainwashed. I was accused of brainwashing my daughter because of invalid assumptions.

This thread has done a fine job solidifying my feelings towards religion.

Shabbat shalom, good Sunday, and mobarak

No way dude. The religion matters not to me. They're all the same with different prequels and sequels.
Okay I'm off this. This was not intended to thread jack or disrespect anyone. I didn't say religion is wrong, just wrong for me.
I also never said anyone was brainwashed. I was accused of brainwashing my daughter because of invalid assumptions.

By now I'm sure you realize how you brought this on with your first reply in this thread. And your backpedaling, so far, has not acquitted you of your error.

It was a jerk post. Should've just owned up to it and carried on. Your name is Dirty Jacket after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back