Expansion Rumors…

I think adding Texas and Oklahoma was masterful and I agree that holding those natural rivalries speaks volumes to many fans too, especially in the South. I for one am only in favor us leaving for the SEC if we were to leave the ACC. I think it makes the most sense for us geographically and for our natural rivals...and yes contrary to what anyone tells you, we are an archrival to UGAY. We're convenient for them until we beat them. They'll never admit it.
I have never understood why anyone would want to live or play football in Norman Oklahoma. Or Nebraska. Or Kansas. Or Arkansas. Or Missouri.

I think adding Texas and Oklahoma was masterful and I agree that holding those natural rivalries speaks volumes to many fans too, especially in the South. I for one am only in favor us leaving for the SEC if we were to leave the ACC. I think it makes the most sense for us geographically and for our natural rivals...and yes contrary to what anyone tells you, we are an archrival to UGAY. We're convenient for them until we beat them. They'll never admit it.
Some of you guys live in a pipe dream...

I have never understood why anyone would want to live or play football in Norman Oklahoma. Or Nebraska. Or Kansas. Or Arkansas. Or Missouri.
Same can be said for why anyone would want to play in a major city. Some people like the college town less populated atmosphere vs a concrete jungle with constant noise and traffic. It’s all personal preference.

Some of you guys live in a pipe dream...
I get it, but is it that much different than those who are hopeful we can make a run at a conference title in preseason? Right now is the time for speculation and blind optimism. As the ACC and FSU are now suing each other, it's becoming increasingly clear that the ACC isn't going to hold together with current membership if things keep going the way they are. Maybe FSU and Clemson leave and that's it, but if those 2 leave, it'll hurt the value of the ACC longterm and other members will eventually bolt as well. Might as well speculate and be optimistic.

I'd love it if the FSU lawsuit uncovered that our league officials were not the incompetent idiots they appear to be but sold the league members out. This should include ESPN officials.

I'd love it if the FSU lawsuit uncovered that our league officials were not the incompetent idiots they appear to be but sold the league members out. This should include ESPN officials.
Swafford was the Dave Brane of commissioners.

Saw this explanation on another board regarding FSU's lawsuit:
If you have read the GOR it is TIED TO THE ESPN media contract ... that was the purpose of the GOR. ESPN's current media commitment expires on 6/27, so it is actually in effect for only seasons 24,25,26 UNLESS THEY EXTEND the current contract at the current media payout of roughly $40M per school. If ESPN does not exercise the extension option by 2/25 then the media agreement ends ... and new one would have to be negotiated with either ESPN or other media carrier ... and a new GOR signed by parties in favor.

A prime purpose of the FSU LEGAL ACTION is attacking the validity of the 2025 option to extend as they found out in initial discovery at ACC headquarters, the original option expired in 2021 ... and Phillips UNILATERALLY GRANTED ESPN an extension on their option period to 2/25 without consulting with or getting approval from ACC members. Since ESPN wasn't going to extend their agreement in 2021 ... could we have then negotiated a new better deal? Worst case ... they DID NOT EXERCISE THEIR OPTION TO EXTEND ... the extension on the time period granted by Phillips is not valid / legal as it was done without the required 2/3 approval ... and therefore the media deal and GOR both expire on 6/27. Anybody not wanting to sign a NEW contract with different terms would have NO GOR buyback, pay only the $120M ACC exit fee, and commence playing in another conference for the 2027 season. Leave before, and then you need to buy back media rights for season 2025 and 2026.

Bob Thompson, former CEO of FOX Sports and co founder of the B10 network, commented on the day the FSU filings were posted "wow, it took the FSU legal team to find a hole big enough in the GOR to drive a truck through". (he has since apparently deleted that Tweet). That is the current thinking summarized by the majority of the Nole fans who are practicing attorneys ... pay the ACC exit fee ... buy back rights for the period necessary up until the current ESPN media contract expires 6/27. Done, adios.

If you have read the GOR it is TIED TO THE ESPN media contract ... that was the purpose of the GOR. ESPN's current media commitment expires on 6/27, so it is actually in effect for only seasons 24,25,26 UNLESS THEY EXTEND the current contract at the current media payout of roughly $40M per school. If ESPN does not exercise the extension option by 2/25 then the media agreement ends ... and new one would have to be negotiated with either ESPN or other media carrier ... and a new GOR signed by parties in favor.

A prime purpose of the FSU LEGAL ACTION is attacking the validity of the 2025 option to extend as they found out in initial discovery at ACC headquarters, the original option expired in 2021 ... and Phillips UNILATERALLY GRANTED ESPN an extension on their option period to 2/25 without consulting with or getting approval from ACC members. Since ESPN wasn't going to extend their agreement in 2021 ... could we have then negotiated a new better deal? Worst case ... they DID NOT EXERCISE THEIR OPTION TO EXTEND ... the extension on the time period granted by Phillips is not valid / legal as it was done without the required 2/3 approval ... and therefore the media deal and GOR both expire on 6/27. Anybody not wanting to sign a NEW contract with different terms would have NO GOR buyback, pay only the $120M ACC exit fee, and commence playing in another conference for the 2027 season. Leave before, and then you need to buy back media rights for season 2025 and 2026.

Bob Thompson, former CEO of FOX Sports and co founder of the B10 network, commented on the day the FSU filings were posted "wow, it took the FSU legal team to find a hole big enough in the GOR to drive a truck through". (he has since apparently deleted that Tweet). That is the current thinking summarized by the majority of the Nole fans who are practicing attorneys ... pay the ACC exit fee ... buy back rights for the period necessary up until the current ESPN media contract expires 6/27. Done, adios.
For the record I have no idea if any of this is even accurate or just wishful thinking, just sharing what I saw elsewhere.

Thanks for posting. That sounds very positive for getting a better deal with or without ESPN. We can't get a good deal with our leaders working
against us. They also didn't have our best interests in mind with that one sided deal with ND.

I have a hard time believing that no one noticed something so glaring for 3 years until FSU hired an army of lawyers.
Yeah, you're right. Wasn't there something in the news about if you wanted to read the agreement you had to go to the ACC headquarters
to read it? Seems strange to agree to something and not be able to keep a copy at hand.

Thanks for posting. That sounds very positive for getting a better deal with or without ESPN.

Just curious as to how you think the conference will get a better deal—especially if FSU and others leave. Even with FSU, I don’t see the next TV deal surpassing the current one.

Just curious as to how you think the conference will get a better deal—especially if FSU and others leave. Even with FSU, I don’t see the next TV deal surpassing the current one.
That I don't know, but we'll never stand a chance with our league office working for ESPN rather than the members. I'm okay with suing ESPN and individuals who run our conference. If we end up in the Big Ten after killing the agreement that may be the best possible outcome.

...but enough about Ga State.

I mean, seriously, have you been on our campus lately?
Before I moved out of Georgia in 2006, I lived 5 minutes from the campus in the townhouses near Atlantic Station. The school is right in the center of a major city was all the point is. While the GT campus is full of trees, etc, it’s not the same as a large college town. Once you leave the campus, it’s traffic hell. Since that time I’ve lived outside of Los Angeles, Denver, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh.

LA and ATL by far have the worst traffic / congestion. I know Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh are growing, but it still doesn’t compare to LA, ATL.

Before I moved out of Georgia in 2006, I lived 5 minutes from the campus in the townhouses near Atlantic Station. The school is right in the center of a major city was all the point is. While the GT campus is full of trees, etc, it’s not the same as a large college town. Once you leave the campus, it’s traffic hell. Since that time I’ve lived outside of Los Angeles, Denver, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh.

LA and ATL by far have the worst traffic / congestion. I know Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh are growing, but it still doesn’t compare to LA, ATL.
If you like living in small shotholes, good for you. Atlanta is an international city.

DC and NYC are epic ööööshows.

Back